1. #701
    The Lightbringer ProphetFlume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Yes they were. They are saying "Kaepernik was right".
    Of course he was right, everyone always knew he was right. But the conversation isn't about kneeling, that's been in the rearview for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

  2. #702
    Legendary! Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    6,669
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Of course he was right, everyone always knew he was right. But the conversation isn't about kneeling, that's been in the rearview for a while.
    Gonna be really interesting this season because obviously these players are gonna kneel now. Theres gonna be little to no fans so ad revenue is gonna be an even bigger focus for the NFL. This week we've seen pretty much every brand chime in on the current event condemning racism and supporting BLM. So their previous hand of "make the players stand or we pull advertising" holds little to no water now. Those that attempt are still losing sight of the message and in turn showing that their statements made this week were empty, made in fear of being "canceled".

  3. #703
    What a maroon. It's such a shitty take on the best of days, let alone with the state the country is in now. Brainlets like Brees have no idea what patriotism means.

    Maybe this means Saints fans will stop pretending he's the GOAT, too.

  4. #704
    Legendary! Logwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dagobah
    Posts
    6,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    What a maroon. It's such a shitty take on the best of days, let alone with the state the country is in now. Brainlets like Brees have no idea what patriotism means.

    Maybe this means Saints fans will stop pretending he's the GOAT, too.
    Maybe he's taken too many shots to the head and needs a better helmet?

  5. #705
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,464
    Man if only everybody else who said stupid shit got as much blowback as Brees has they might learn something. Hopefully Drew learns something.
    /s

  6. #706
    The Lightbringer ProphetFlume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Gonna be really interesting this season because obviously these players are gonna kneel now. Theres gonna be little to no fans so ad revenue is gonna be an even bigger focus for the NFL. This week we've seen pretty much every brand chime in on the current event condemning racism and supporting BLM. So their previous hand of "make the players stand or we pull advertising" holds little to no water now. Those that attempt are still losing sight of the message and in turn showing that their statements made this week were empty, made in fear of being "canceled".
    I guess I’m more cynical because I think them going back to condemning it (although more subtly) is exactly what will happen. Similar to how cops get arrested in these kinds of killings and it’s a big deal but when you keep Up with the story For a year or 2 they get found guilty of like third degree manslaughter, get no prison time, And leave the force with back pay then go into private security or another precinct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

  7. #707
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Why is he even bringing it up now, at the worst possible time? No one was talking about kneeling in the NFL.
    He was literally asked about kneeling when the season begins and this was his answer.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Man if only everybody else who said stupid shit got as much blowback as Brees has they might learn something. Hopefully Drew learns something.
    Sadly there are many who simply feel like they’re being bullied when they catch the blowback. It’s easier to play the victim than it is to stand with up for victims.

  8. #708
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    13,196
    It's incredible how the most accurate Quarterback in the history of the NFL manages to miss the point by such a wide margin.


    Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

  9. #709
    Legendary! Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    6,669
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    I guess I’m more cynical because I think them going back to condemning it (although more subtly) is exactly what will happen. Similar to how cops get arrested in these kinds of killings and it’s a big deal but when you keep Up with the story For a year or 2 they get found guilty of like third degree manslaughter, get no prison time, And leave the force with back pay then go into private security or another precinct.
    I honestly see it playing out like that. People have a short term memory now days.

  10. #710
    It will be cool if this nfl season is about football and not covid or politics.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

  11. #711
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    It will be cool if this nfl season is about football and not covid or politics.
    No kidding, I don't care what any athlete in any sport of any race or gender has to say about non-sports. Just like I don't care what an actor or singer says either.

  12. #712
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Whelp, Drew Brees opened a can of worms on his hot take about the American flag and several of his WR's are unfollowing / calling him out. Cant wait to see how that rift is solved...
    He has since apologized.

    In an attempt to talk about respect, unity, and solidarity centered around the American flag and the national anthem, I made comments that were insensitive and completely missed the mark on the issues we are facing right now as a country. They lacked awareness and any type of compassion or empathy. Instead, those words have become divisive and hurtful and have misled people into believing that somehow I am an enemy. This could not be further from the truth, and is not an accurate reflection of my heart or my character.
    It's up to each individual to forgive and/or forget as they see fit.

  13. #713
    Well, this isn't gonna go away. Prominent black players including Mahomes, DeShaun Watson, Saquon, D-Hopkins, put out a video demanding an apology for the NFL silencing their previous protests, and to say "Black Lives Matter." On Saquon's twitter:

    https://twitter.com/saquon/status/1268709246683799553

  14. #714
    Legendary! Logwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dagobah
    Posts
    6,167
    Meh too much politics.


    Have they decided on an official start date yet? Ready for a new season!

  15. #715
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    25,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Have they decided on an official start date yet? Ready for a new season!
    This is the dead part of the NFL year. NOrmally we would currently be on the tail end of the mandatory minicamps. After this you would usually see players and teams take a break till mid July, when things start getting rolling for training camp.

    So, just like any other year it will be the long wait till Training camp. Question is if they have everything in order with testing protocols and rules to actually do training camp like normal.


    There's some rumblings that the NFL want to do some kind of mini camp for the QB and the skill players, so they can get on one page, but that's the only thing.

  16. #716
    I miss the days before social media.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

  17. #717
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    13,196
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    I miss the days before social media.
    I don't in this instance, so many violations of human rights would have gone undocumented and simply swept under the rug.


    Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

  18. #718
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I don't in this instance, so many violations of human rights would have gone undocumented and simply swept under the rug.
    My reason isn't the recent police murder. I just miss the olden days, as a kid, when my sports heroes weren't constantly putting their foot in their mouth via Twitter.

    When I was a kid, my favorite player was Bruce Smith. I had no idea what his political views were, and I'm cool with that.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

  19. #719
    Legendary! Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    6,669
    Drew Brees clapped back at Donald Trump who is back on his shit about how Brees shouldn't of apologized about his stance on "disrespecting the flag".

    On the topic of social media, I have no problem with athletes using it as a platform to do good or make change. In general however, the amount of manipulated information on social media is making the medium a ever cycling internet mob machine turning people into drones. I really don't use social media anymore aside from facebook for family and reddit for my shitty memes/sports + gaming news. I cut off a lot of my twitter consumption when COVID first started gaining ground. I don't miss it at all. I am at the point where I am about to remove my twitter apps from my phone.

  20. #720
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Drew Brees clapped back at Donald Trump who is back on his shit about how Brees shouldn't of apologized about his stance on "disrespecting the flag".
    Its fortunate that Trump chiming in got Brees to give greater clarity to the realization of his misconceptions.
    /s

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •