Page 7 of 153 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    With all the corona virus stuff going on, I wonder if the NFL is gonna hold the draft without an audience. Would be the first time Goodell doesn't get boo'd on stage.
    Why hold it at all? Can just do it like the good old days and have teams make their selections without anybody being there but essential personnel. TV stations can still do fancy graphics and roll tape of the prospects, it;s just not going to have all the shenanigans but importantly, also none of the risks for the players and teams involved.

They have more than a month to set this up. There's no way they could not get this whole thing done online in that time frame.

I'm more concerned what the NFL is going to do about a traveling circus of scouts, going past like 100 colleges in 50 states and getting into contact with people all over the place. That's a serious risk right now and with every minute the NFL lets this go on, they are partly responsible for any outbreaks that happen due to this in the NFL community.

The NBA just put their whole season on hiatus and the NFL is doing nothing while putting almost as many people and draftable players at risk. At best that's a bad look.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly? Money. The Draft was supposed to be the big introduction event for Vegas as an NFL city. And I get the feeling the league won't want to pass on that hype unless things get bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I spoke too soon. The league meeting and what I assume is a fancy name for "Veteran Combine" are both cancelled.

https://twitter.com/NFLFootballOps/s...03213209165824
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Frankly? Money. The Draft was supposed to be the big introduction event for Vegas as an NFL city. And I get the feeling the league won't want to pass on that hype unless things get bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I spoke too soon. The league meeting and what I assume is a fancy name for "Veteran Combine" are both cancelled.

https://twitter.com/NFLFootballOps/s...03213209165824
    The difference a day could make. I saw a tweet that this feels like the most 9/12 day since 9/12 and I felt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    The weakest union in sports fails again, maybe democracy isn't the best idea when the entire electorate has CTE.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Ravens traded a fifth for Calais Campbell, so... yeah. Basically robbery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice deal for Tannehill 4 years $118 mil, $62 mil guaranteed.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly put the union was in a bad spot from the start. If they rejected this and had a lockout next year, as soon as game checks start disappearing the players would cave. The NFLPA is too big and players are paid too little to be financially able to hold the league's feet to the fire.

The big screw up was doing another 10 year CBA. With the new TV Deal next year they should have made this a 5 year so they can get a bigger slice of the pie sooner.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice deal for Tannehill 4 years $118 mil, $62 mil guaranteed.
    Takes them out of the Brady race too. At this point I have to imagine his only option left is New England.

10+ Year Old Account
    Patriots re-sign Devin McCourty, to a 2 year deal worth 23M. Glad they are keeping him around. Rock of the back end.

This number does mean that there's less room for Brady and the Patriots to work with.

Going to be an interesting few days...

10+ Year Old Account
    If Brady leaves who would you want to replace him?
    /s

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Patriots re-sign Devin McCourty, to a 2 year deal worth 23M. Glad they are keeping him around. Rock of the back end.

This number does mean that there's less room for Brady and the Patriots to work with.

Going to be an interesting few days...
    When they extended his brother, I had a feeling that Devin wouldn't be far behind. How often can brothers, let alone twin brothers, get to say they play on the same team?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    If Brady leaves who would you want to replace him?
    Well...

1) There's no one on the trade market I would really put any trust in. I mean Andy Dalton or Cam Newton? No thanks.

2) Free agents are largely terrible too, save for maybe Rivers.

3) The actual good prospects in the draft are long gone by the time the Patriots pick at 23 and I don't think moving up significantly is going to be feasible either and goes totally against how Belichick has run the team so far.

We have Stidham as a back up however, and BB saw enough in him to enter the season with him as the lone back up last year and he did have a nice preseason last year.

So the choices to me would be Stidham or Rivers assuming he's not getting a huge contract elsewhere. In that case I'd rather just sink or swim with Stidham.

Worst case scenario, we suck and we end up with a higher draft pick next year and again a whole bunch of extra draftpicks from Kyle Van Noy and Joe Thuney and Tom Brady signing elsewhere AND we know what we have in Stidham.

Best case scenario, with a year in the system and a playbook dressed up for him, Stidham actually does okay in his first year and we start the post Brady era with a glimmer of hope that maybe we can still be successful.

Tbh though, if rumours are to be believed then it's coming down to either Tampa Bay or the Patriots and I cannot for the life of me imagine Brady taking his talents to Tampa of all places.

So we will see. Legal tampering starts soon and we will know soon enough if any team is serious, cause Brady should be among the first dominoes to fall. (and that's assuming he even makes it to Free Agency and doesn't just renegotiate his deal with NE and spreads his cap hit out better so they have more cap space to sign talent around him.

I'm still on Team "In Belichick We Trust" and what happens, happens.

Man, I wish I could be completely average at best at my job and earn $118 million over the next 4 years. What a crazy contract. And based on practically nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was very very good, the trouble is that it was in a small sample size.

But this is the cost of doing business, QBs are expensive, especially free agent QBs.

I'm wondering if someone will give Mariota a chance and if he can resurrect his career. I would love to see him slot in as Brees' backup but financials make that unlikely.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    In hindsight Mariota is like a better version of Bradford. I still don't understand how Bradford started for so long on multiple teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1239571679308705792?s=19

Draft will happen, but public events during it in Vegas and elsewhere are cancelled.

Also the new CBA got signed. Loving the 55 man roster size increase.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

QB contracts are inflating so much that the Tannehill one probably won't be that bad. It is basically going to be pay at least $30 mill per year or have one on a rookie deal soon.

Texan's are bringing back Bradley Roby on a 3 year/$36 mill deal. Probably a good move for the Texans after we see what the top corners get paid.

10+ Year Old Account
    More bizarre wheelin' & dealin' from the rudderless Texans, they're trading away Hopkins to AZ for David Johnson and a 2nd rounder.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    More bizarre wheelin' & dealin' from the rudderless Texans, they're trading away Hopkins to AZ for David Johnson and a 2nd rounder.
    Oh neat, replace an aging Larry Fitzgerald for a clone of him in his prime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Oh neat, replace an aging Larry Fitzgerald for a clone of him in his prime.
    Even that description falls short, Larry was 1st team All Pro once, Hopkins has been three years in a row.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    The hell is their plan there? To get worse? Have they decided they need to blow this team up and rebuild? You don't trade an all-pro WR if you're not rebuilding, right?

Teams start making calls about JJ Watt.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah. Packers missed out on Hooper....

Because the Browns massively overpaid him to come there instead.

Though this still leaves a pair of massive holes in their offense called WR2 and WR3.