Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
11
19
... LastLast
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Saints re-sign Onyemata, good move for preserving the very good run defense.



    The mind boggles.

    I'm sure everyone is wishing that their team had a useless RB on a bloated contract so they could've gotten Hopkins.

    ESPN article analyzing the trade is the first worthwhile thing I've read from them in a while.
    The Giants got a first, a third, and Jabrill Peppers for Odell Beckham last year. Odell is significantly worse than Hopkins and they are the same age. This is a terrible trade from a talent standpoint.

    I'm trying to get more info, but it does appear that there's a significant difference in the dead money situation that might explain part of the difference in compensation - Beckham was traded with 16 mill in dead money staying on the Giants cap, meaning the Browns were effectively getting $16 million worth of cap space for free (over a couple years). Hopkins has no dead money (one site says 3 million, another 0, either way, it's way less, and more than offset by David Johnson's 6 million). But the Johnson contract is terrible unless he makes a miraculous recovery, so the dead money's not helping them too much. The only way this trade makes sense is if you think it's just not worth it to pay wide receivers at the going market rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    It's not supposed to be fun, we are not in 2009. It's supposed to be frustrating and keep you hooked longer.

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Mariota to the Raiders.

    Terms to follow.

    - - - Updated - - -

    https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...42121885798403

    Bills sell the farm for Stefon Diggs and a 7th rounder.
    Don't know if I'd call a late first rounder and some change for a talented young wideout "the farm", but I'll take it
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

  3. #163
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    12,831
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    Don't know if I'd call a late first rounder and some change for a talented young wideout, but I'll take it
    There's wideouts that will go in the third round this year you could draft for a #1 starter, giving up a 1st as well as a 5th, 6th and a 2021 4th for a guy who will spend most of his time adjusting to underthrown balls is a terrible piece of business.


    Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    There's wideouts that will go in the third round this year you could draft for a #1 starter, giving up a 1st as well as a 5th, 6th and a 2021 4th for a guy who will spend most of his time adjusting to underthrown balls is a terrible piece of business.
    Ah, ok, so that is your outlook. I'll make sure Wrong Josh doesn't invite you to his Christmas party next year.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

  5. #165
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    12,831
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    Ah, ok, so that is your outlook. I'll make sure Wrong Josh doesn't invite you to his Christmas party next year.
    If he tried to send me an invite it'd probably end up somewhere floating in the Atlantic.


    Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    There's wideouts that will go in the third round this year you could draft for a #1 starter, giving up a 1st as well as a 5th, 6th and a 2021 4th for a guy who will spend most of his time adjusting to underthrown balls is a terrible piece of business.
    We had an extra 5th and 6th this year from midseason trades of trash OL we were gonna have to cut anyways. Having a 9 rookie class is wholly unfeasible. Next year's 4th round pick will be covered by a compensatory 4th (which can go up to a 3rd) when Shaq Lawson signed with Miami today - and we weren't going to sign him, so that's a free pick imo.

    I think you're discounting the idea that the Bills don't have time to develop a WR. They have a 1st round QB who they'll have to pay even if he's only Bortles-esque, an RB who is gonna be good, a top 2 CB who will need to be paid, and two cornerstone LBs who anchored the #2 defense in the league. Diggs is signed for another 4 years at $11m a year, which is a steal (though obviously he'll want to restructure, hopefully we can push that off a bit).

    We have been hitting on late round picks, true. We have 4 starters of our 22 from round 5 or later, all on rookie contracts, and it jumps up to like, 6 with major bit players, but imo that means we were just ahead of the curve on hitting on those late picks and can afford to not pick a few more of them.

    Bills also signed DE Mario Addison late night, continuing the Carolina-Buffalo connection. He's a bit old for my taste, but 9+ sacks a year for the past four years is okay to me. Still no contract details.

    One final point: the Bills have no more excuses on offense. This is the year the final evaluation on Josh happens. If he can't hit one of the best route runners with some of the best separation in the league. We hit on our TE and RB in last year's draft, besides perhaps a RT we're set on the offense. There should be nothing else needed. The defense is elite. It's now or never, before we have to pay like the half of our team who are on rookie contracts.

  7. #167
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,329
    Bills also signed AJ Klein who is pretty good when he isn't hurt. He did a good job in NO, got overshadowed by Demario Davis but was good all-around.
    /s

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    We had an extra 5th and 6th this year from midseason trades of trash OL we were gonna have to cut anyways. Having a 9 rookie class is wholly unfeasible. Next year's 4th round pick will be covered by a compensatory 4th (which can go up to a 3rd) when Shaq Lawson signed with Miami today - and we weren't going to sign him, so that's a free pick imo.

    I think you're discounting the idea that the Bills don't have time to develop a WR. They have a 1st round QB who they'll have to pay even if he's only Bortles-esque, an RB who is gonna be good, a top 2 CB who will need to be paid, and two cornerstone LBs who anchored the #2 defense in the league. Diggs is signed for another 4 years at $11m a year, which is a steal (though obviously he'll want to restructure, hopefully we can push that off a bit).

    We have been hitting on late round picks, true. We have 4 starters of our 22 from round 5 or later, all on rookie contracts, and it jumps up to like, 6 with major bit players, but imo that means we were just ahead of the curve on hitting on those late picks and can afford to not pick a few more of them.

    Bills also signed DE Mario Addison late night, continuing the Carolina-Buffalo connection. He's a bit old for my taste, but 9+ sacks a year for the past four years is okay to me. Still no contract details.

    One final point: the Bills have no more excuses on offense. This is the year the final evaluation on Josh happens. If he can't hit one of the best route runners with some of the best separation in the league. We hit on our TE and RB in last year's draft, besides perhaps a RT we're set on the offense. There should be nothing else needed. The defense is elite. It's now or never, before we have to pay like the half of our team who are on rookie contracts.
    I agree this is the year Allen needs to make the jump. Cautiously optimistic here.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

  9. #169
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,329
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    I agree this is the year Allen needs to make the jump. Cautiously optimistic here.
    He needs to, rookie contracts don't last forever, at least they're not wasting it like Houston is wasting Watson's.
    /s

  10. #170
    Herald of the Titans ProphetFlume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Even that description falls short, Larry was 1st team All Pro once, Hopkins has been three years in a row.
    That's a bit much. I'd take Fitz in his prime over Hopkins easy.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Coronavirus really stole the thunder of brady leaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

  11. #171
    Brees back with the Saints for 2 more years.

    Diggs to the Bills makes sense, they basically only had John Brown and Cole Beasley to throw to last year.

    Time for the Patriots to go 14-2 with some random QB most people have never heard of.

  12. #172
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    25,367
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Coronavirus really stole the thunder of brady leaving.
    At least I have bigger things to worry about now, I guess.

    Don't know where he'll end up, but he'll always be a Patriot first and foremost. I love him and he;s the reason I started watching football in the first place and I hope he ends up happy with his choice.

    If he ends up in the AFC, I also hope his team crashes and burns.


    Patriots will be on a rebuild path now, first on offence. They have said goodbye to their long time O-line coach, who decided to retire and that's going to hurt O-line production and Brady leaving just means the change on offense is that much larger. And their defense is getting quite old as well, so defensive overhaul is next on the schedule. We will see how this ends up. It will be nice for a change to not be the presumed Superbowl team, but to have to be honest to god underdogs and have to make it.

    Guess this means we are also about to find out how Belichick feels about Stidham. If he brings in a (former) starter from elsewhere it might not be so good. We'll see. In Bill we trust.

  13. #173
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    12,831
    Rivers apparently finalising terms with the Colts.

    Newton has permission from Carolina to seek a trade elsewhere.


    Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

  14. #174
    And Tom Brady is officially done in New England.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    100:1 odds that he wont
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.

  15. #175
    Bridgewater to the Panthers.

    Probably a good place for him, he can just dump the ball off to McCaffrey every play.

  16. #176
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,329
    Not loving Teddy staying in the division, but at least he didn't go to the Patriots.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Chase Daniel to the Lions is a prudent move for a team that had -nothing- behind Matt Stafford last year.
    /s

  17. #177
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    World of Wisconsin
    Posts
    33,796
    Man as the QB holes were starting to be plugged this week I was more and more sure Brady would end up in New England on a discounted contract because he simply had no other option.

    Still might, but with the Colts job now closed (and watch out they could be scary next year), the Raiders having already signed a new QB (I doubt they sign two and then try to jettison Carr), the Titans locked up with Tannehill, I have to imagine Brady's last available opening is Tampa Bay.

    Now the question is what does New England do to replace him? Honestly, I think they might be fine just sitting for a year and seeing if they can fish somebody out of the draft. They've had a fairly substantial talent drain on defense, the offense probably needs a full retooling no matter who they bring in, maybe they draft a guy if he falls this year, or maybe they see how high of a pick they can get next year, maybe trade a few assets, and try to trade up for a guy.
    9.0 Speculation Thread #1 Leakbuster

    Finally guessed the expansion right for the first time since MoP.

    Retail - Wyrmrest Accord (A) | Classic - Bloodsail Buccaneers (A) | FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter

  18. #178
    My only concern now is if Cam goes to New England, with Brees locked up and Rivers settling for Indy.

  19. #179
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    World of Wisconsin
    Posts
    33,796
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    My only concern now is if Cam goes to New England, with Brees locked up and Rivers settling for Indy.
    Yeah that would be the all-in play by New England. That's really the only all-in play they now have left.

    I dunno it depends I guess on where Belichick is at. If he thinks he only has one or two years left and wants to prove he can win a Super Bowl without Brady, sell the farm for Cam. If he thinks he has time to rebuild, I say just bring in another backup and see how high of a pick you can land. I don't think their defense is Super Bowl ready right now after their losses, and their offense sure isn't.
    9.0 Speculation Thread #1 Leakbuster

    Finally guessed the expansion right for the first time since MoP.

    Retail - Wyrmrest Accord (A) | Classic - Bloodsail Buccaneers (A) | FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter

  20. #180
    Herald of the Titans ProphetFlume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,818
    I don't see Cam playing under Bill. His personality is the opposite of everything in pats culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •