Page 1 of 153
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

2020-2021 NFL Thread

Welcome everyone to the 2020-2021 NFL Thread

Where we discuss the 2020-2021 NFL season from the pre-Combine days in February, all the way to the Superbowl of this season on February 7, 2021 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, with all the news and all the games that go on in between.

Thread Rules:

There aren't many specific rules in this thread other than the normal forum rules that apply everywhere. We expect people to follow the spirit of the thread and the forum, mostly by respecting that every one has a favorite team and is entitled to cheer for them. Some banter is fine, insulting and trolling is not.

We also ask to keep the discussion largely centered around the current season and to leave in depth discussions about which team or player from yesteryear was better than which other team/player to threads made to discuss such a topic.

Let's start off with some things from last year's thread:

Links to previous seasons threads:

2010-2013 thread: link
    2013-2014 thread: link
    2014-2015 thread: link
    2015-2016 thread: link
    2016-2017 thread: link
    2017-2018 thread: link
    2018-2019 thread: link
    2019-2020 thread: link

Top 10 posters of the last thread:

Interesting facts of the 2020-2021 season:

This season will be the 100th season of the National Football League.

This season will be the Miami Dolphins 55th season as a professional football team.

This season will be the Baltimore Ravens 25th season in the NFL.

This season will be the Las Vegas Raiders 1st season in Las Vegas.

This season will be the Green Bay Packers 100th season in the NFL.

This season will be the Minnesota Vikings 60th season in the NFL.

This season will be the Atlanta Falcons 55th season in the NFL.

This season will be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 45th season in the NFL.

This season will be the San Francisco 49'ers 75th season as a professional football team.

This season will be the Seattle Seahawks 45th season in the NFL.

This season will be the Pittsburgh Steelers 20th season playing at Heinz Field stadium.

This season will be the Denver Broncos 20th season playing at Empower Field at Mile High stadium.

This season will be the Los Angeles Chargers 1st season playing at SoFi Stadium at Inglewood stadium.

This season will be the New Orleans Saints 45th season playing at Mercedes-Benz Superdome stadium.

This season will be the Los Angeles Rams 1st season playing at SoFi Stadium at Inglewood stadium.

There should be no Christmas or New Year's interference with the schedule.

NFL International Series: Five games will be held outside the United States in 2020. Four in London and 1 in Mexico.

Superbowl odds for this season:

So, what can we expect in this coming year?

February 24 - March 2
    NFL Scouting Combine

February 25
    First day for teams to designate Franchise- or Transition-tagged players

March 10
    Prior to 4:00 pm, deadline for teams to designate Franchise- or Transition-tagged players

March 16 - March 18
    Legal “tampering” window, where teams can contact the agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents at the beginning of the next season

March 18 - Start of the new league year
    Prior to 4:00 pm, teams must exercise 2020 contract options on players with option clauses. Teams must submit qualifying offers to Restricted Free Agents. Teams must submit minimum salary offers to retain Exclusive Restricted Free Agents. Teams must be under the 2020 salary cap by the Top 51 rule (the 51 most expensive cap values on the roster).

2020 league year and free agency period begins at 4:00 pm.

Trading period for 2020 begins at 4:00 pm.

March 29 - April 2
    Annual League Meeting

April 6
    Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2019 regular season may begin offseason workout programs.

April 17
    Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign offer sheets

April 20
    Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

April 23 - April 25
    2020 NFL Draft

May 1 - May 4 or May 8 - May 11
    Clubs may hold their three-day rookie minicamp during one of these two times.

May 11
    Rookie football development programs begin.

May 14 - May 17
    NFLPA Rookie premiere. Invited rookies (typically first- and/or second-round picks) must be excused from OTAs or other workouts to attend.

May 19 - May 20
    Spring League Meeting

June 1
    Deadline for teams to send “June 1st tender” to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer, in order for that player to be subject to the Collective Bargaining Agreement’s “June 15 Tender” provision.

June 2
    For any player removed from the club’s roster or whose contract is assigned via waivers or trade on or after June 2, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in team salary at the start of the 2020 league year.

June 15
    Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting “June 15 Tender” of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player’s prior-year salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).

Late June
    Rookie Transition Program to be held at individual clubs.

July 15
    Deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign that player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may only sign a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2020 season, and the contract cannot be extended until after the club’s final regular-season game.

Mid-July
    Clubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies beginning seven days prior to the club’s earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veteran players.

Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension-credited season) other than quarterbacks or “injured players” (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may report to a club’s preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club’s first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later.

Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club’s preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first-year players

A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a club’s roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who rejoin the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical.

July 22nd
    Signing period ends for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until 4:00 pm on the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.

August 6
    Hall of Fame Game, Canton Ohio

August 6 - August 9
    Hall of Fame Weekend, Canton Ohio

August 11
    Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to accrue a season for free agency.

If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he cannot be traded to any other club in 2020, and may sign a contract only with the drafting club until the day of the 2021 NFL Draft.

September 5
    Prior to 4:00 pm, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players.

Simultaneously, clubs with players on the Physically Unable to Perform list or the Non Football Injury/Illness list must choose from one of the following options for each player:

Place player on the Reserve/PUP or Reserve/NFI list
    Waive the player
    Terminate contract
    Trade contract
    Continue to count the player as an active member of the roster
    September 6
    Waiver claim period for players released from rosters ends at 12:00 pm.

Clubs may establish a ten-man practice squad, or 11 if participating in the International Player Development Program.

September 10
    At 12:00 am, the Top 51 Salary Cap rule expires for all clubs.

September 10
    Opening Day of the 101st NFL season.

September 13
    Sunday Regular Season Week 1.

September 14
    Monday Regular Season Week 1.

Lastly:

We hope everyone that likes football will join us as we go on the journey to learn who will eventually follow last year's winners the Kansas City Chiefs as the 2020-2021 NFL Superbowl LV winners.

Have at it, ladies and gentlemen!

signed, the mods.

10+ Year Old Account
    That drop off in post activity from the season before, did we lack a massive controversy?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, we can start with one. Myles Garrett claiming Mason Rudolph called him a slur on the field. Doesn't seem to be leading to anything though.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So since I didn't get to finish this conversation off last thread.

Reason I say Norman should go to Buffalo isn't they have need of him. It's that he simply fell off in Washington and reuniting with a former Panthers DC might help him rehab his image as "elite."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    So since I didn't get to finish this conversation off last thread.

Reason I say Norman should go to Buffalo isn't they have need of him. It's that he simply fell off in Washington and reuniting with a former Panthers DC might help him rehab his image as "elite."
    That doesn't happen for 32 year old corners that haven't been good in five years.
    /s

A Denver media guy that is usually accurate thinks they will go after Byron Jones pretty hard. If he doesn't get burned on 3rd down as much as Chris Harris Jr and the other practice squad corners they used last year it might be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    That doesn't happen for 32 year old corners that haven't been good in five years.
    Not even just that, he was a 1 year wonder to begin with.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Well, we can start with one. Myles Garrett claiming Mason Rudolph called him a slur on the field. Doesn't seem to be leading to anything though.
    He's been saying that since later that night/the next day. I don't really buy it, nor do I think it would change anything to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    That drop off in post activity from the season before, did we lack a massive controversy?
    Patriots weren't in it, so there wasn't that "I hate the pats because ANJSHNJAJK" vs "Pats are the greatest because AJKSJLKLD"

Also yeah, no real controversy. Also I think a few regulars have quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Patriots weren't in it, so there wasn't that "I hate the pats because ANJSHNJAJK" vs "Pats are the greatest because AJKSJLKLD"

Also yeah, no real controversy. Also I think a few regulars have quit.
    I mean to be fair they were 12-4. Seems pretty in it for most the season.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I mean to be fair they were 12-4. Seems pretty in it for most the season.
    There was also "Spygate 2.0" that has seemed to disappear from everyone's radar for the most part.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Brees is coming back.
    /s

How exactly did the Chargers get to be in sixth place for Super Bowl odds? They were 5 - 11 last year and are probably losing one of the leagues elite quarterbacks.

Brees is coming back.
    Best news of the day, I still hope we find a way to get Taysom Hill back.

The unstoppable Super Bowl LIV Champion Kansas City Chiefs will three-peat, and then win at least one more in the next decade. Two more if we still have MVPatrick past 2030 or so.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Congratulations Seahawks you won the Aging Tight End Competition.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...96816629604354

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    How exactly did the Chargers get to be in sixth place for Super Bowl odds? They were 5 - 11 last year and are probably losing one of the leagues elite quarterbacks.
    The QB is the weird part there. Otherwise you can make the case of great running game, defense improves, and supposedly good WRs.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Tyrod Taylor isn't that bad, so I could see the tradition of hyping up the Chargers every off season not taking too much of a hit.

They will still disappoint anyway, they are the team that missed the playoffs with the #1 offense and defense after all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone watching XFL?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Anyone watching XFL?
    In here please:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...FL-2020-Thread

10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...813230592?s=19

YOU GET TO GO TO THE PLAYOFFS, AND YOU GET TO GO TO THE PLAYOFFS...
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...813230592?s=19

YOU GET TO GO TO THE PLAYOFFS, AND YOU GET TO GO TO THE PLAYOFFS...
    Jerry secretly finding ways of getting Cowboys to the playoffs even if we suck. I knew it.