Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    It will be cool if this nfl season is about football and not covid or politics.
    No kidding, I don't care what any athlete in any sport of any race or gender has to say about non-sports. Just like I don't care what an actor or singer says either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Whelp, Drew Brees opened a can of worms on his hot take about the American flag and several of his WR's are unfollowing / calling him out. Cant wait to see how that rift is solved...
    He has since apologized.

In an attempt to talk about respect, unity, and solidarity centered around the American flag and the national anthem, I made comments that were insensitive and completely missed the mark on the issues we are facing right now as a country. They lacked awareness and any type of compassion or empathy. Instead, those words have become divisive and hurtful and have misled people into believing that somehow I am an enemy. This could not be further from the truth, and is not an accurate reflection of my heart or my character.
    It's up to each individual to forgive and/or forget as they see fit.

Well, this isn't gonna go away. Prominent black players including Mahomes, DeShaun Watson, Saquon, D-Hopkins, put out a video demanding an apology for the NFL silencing their previous protests, and to say "Black Lives Matter." On Saquon's twitter:

https://twitter.com/saquon/status/1268709246683799553

Meh too much politics.

Have they decided on an official start date yet? Ready for a new season!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Have they decided on an official start date yet? Ready for a new season!
    This is the dead part of the NFL year. NOrmally we would currently be on the tail end of the mandatory minicamps. After this you would usually see players and teams take a break till mid July, when things start getting rolling for training camp.

So, just like any other year it will be the long wait till Training camp. Question is if they have everything in order with testing protocols and rules to actually do training camp like normal.

There's some rumblings that the NFL want to do some kind of mini camp for the QB and the skill players, so they can get on one page, but that's the only thing.

I miss the days before social media.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    I miss the days before social media.
    I don't in this instance, so many violations of human rights would have gone undocumented and simply swept under the rug.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I don't in this instance, so many violations of human rights would have gone undocumented and simply swept under the rug.
    My reason isn't the recent police murder. I just miss the olden days, as a kid, when my sports heroes weren't constantly putting their foot in their mouth via Twitter.

When I was a kid, my favorite player was Bruce Smith. I had no idea what his political views were, and I'm cool with that.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    Drew Brees clapped back at Donald Trump who is back on his shit about how Brees shouldn't of apologized about his stance on "disrespecting the flag".

On the topic of social media, I have no problem with athletes using it as a platform to do good or make change. In general however, the amount of manipulated information on social media is making the medium a ever cycling internet mob machine turning people into drones. I really don't use social media anymore aside from facebook for family and reddit for my shitty memes/sports + gaming news. I cut off a lot of my twitter consumption when COVID first started gaining ground. I don't miss it at all. I am at the point where I am about to remove my twitter apps from my phone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Drew Brees clapped back at Donald Trump who is back on his shit about how Brees shouldn't of apologized about his stance on "disrespecting the flag".
    Its fortunate that Trump chiming in got Brees to give greater clarity to the realization of his misconceptions.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Posted without further comment.

NFL establishes $250 million fund to combat systemic racism

The league recently acknowledged it was "wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier" on matters of racism and systemic oppression of black Americans. The turnaround in messaging was the culmination of years worth of behind the scenes efforts and player activism.

Colin Kaepernick's choice to kneel during the national anthem in 2016 sparked both praise and backlash nationwide, but the former pro quarterback was later edged out of the NFL for allegedly blackballing him over his protest of the treatment of African Americans at the hands of police.

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees drew ire earlier this month for suggesting that players who take a knee during the national anthem to protest inequality are "disrespecting the flag of the United States of America."

The league wrote in a statement that: "The NFL and our clubs will continue to work collaboratively with NFL players to support programs to address criminal justice reform, police reforms, and economic and educational advancement."

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Posted without further comment.
    Cool, that probably belongs in some political thread.

Might as well get used to it - politics is part of sports, since the founding of the Olympics in Ancient Greece as a means to offer a peaceful ceasefire among Greek City States.

In American history, it's a legacy that started well before any of us were born with Jesse Owens at the Berlin Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Might as well get used to it - politics is part of sports, since the founding of the Olympics in Ancient Greece as a means to offer a peaceful ceasefire among Greek City States.

In American history, it's a legacy that started well before any of us were born with Jesse Owens at the Berlin Olympics.
    I mean okay sure if we want a politics in sports thread that's fine, I'm hoping to just hear about you know, the NFL and not what charitable statements they are making or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mentioning what the NFL does, and what players do that may affect the games is fine. Getting into the nitty gritty of the actual politics itself is not.

Todd Gurley passes physical, clearing the last hurdle to lead Falcons backfield in 2020. I wonder if this will be a boom or a bust. It could be either. I just know Gurley would have gotten the block in that one game Freeman did the Ole in.

Falcons fans were screaming for Gruley in 2015 when the Falcons took the bust Beasley.

AB pleaded no contest to a trespass and assault/battery charge on a driver today, now the NFL has to decide if there needs to be any sanctions against him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Cool, that probably belongs in some political thread.
    It's NFL related, this is the thread for it.

Politics is not a subject that simply exists in its own bubble, it effects every part of our lives. So long as it's relevant to either the players, a team or the organisation as a whole, it's relevant to this thread.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    It's NFL related, this is the thread for it.

Politics is not a subject that simply exists in its own bubble, it effects every part of our lives. So long as it's relevant to either the players, a team or the organisation as a whole, it's relevant to this thread.
    K, we can agree to disagree on that one. If it was a NFL + Politics thread it should be in GenOT not in Sports. Politics DOES exist in its own bubble, it is a bubble I choose to ignore. I'm here to talk about the NFL and sports, not the NFL + political leaning and whatever thing is going on that is the hot topic this month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since I need to repeat myself: Mentioning what the NFL does, and what players do that may affect the games is fine. Getting into the nitty gritty of the actual politics itself is not.

telling other people to not post something you dislike is not ok.