The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Overthecap just wrote an article about Cousins

https://overthecap.com/what-can-the-...-kirk-cousins/
    Bold of anyone to think at this point Lawrence is going anywhere but to the Jets. The Jets that just started Tua Time. By sucking so bad Fitzpatrick got benched because he was winning too hard.

On which note, if Gase is coaching next week I give up and declare he won't be fired until Woody's back from the UK.

Oh, and I guess Green Bay played today. Oof. That's the look of a #2 seed that gets surprise beaten by the #7 seed.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

We're back boys!
    Still getting stomped in our own division.
    Watch us go 12-4 with only losses to Ravens and Steelers but still don't make playoffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cooper Kupp is pretty useless today.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Bold of anyone to think at this point Lawrence is going anywhere but to the Jets. The Jets that just started Tua Time. By sucking so bad Fitzpatrick got benched because he was winning too hard.

On which note, if Gase is coaching next week I give up and declare he won't be fired until Woody's back from the UK.

Oh, and I guess Green Bay played today. Oof. That's the look of a #2 seed that gets surprise beaten by the #7 seed.

If I am Lawrence, I am pulling an Eli and saying I won’t play for the Jets. Unless of course they back up a Brinks truck to Dabo’s house first.

There are going to be a dumb number of teams looking QB this off-season(I think I’m counting 9 or ten potentially and I could make a case for a few more). A team like Philly who could end up high in the draft without a QB need could end up with a fortune in picks to start plugging holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    If the Vikings get Trevor, there's no way they can justify benching him for a year behind Kirk, there will be too much pressure and expectation to start him.

Also Tua got a 4th quarter outing, post game he went alone onto the field and just sat there to think, kid has had a wild 12 months.
    Which would be silly if you're still paying $30 mil for Cousins. One QB isn't going to fix the massive issues with the team, and the beating any rookie would take behind the swiss cheese that is the Vikings OL wouldn't be a very good learning experience.

I'd rather give him a year on the bench to learn and develop then pay $30 mil for a backup/mentor/worst-case scenario QB that sits on the bench.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post

Unless he pulls an Eli like Smash said, I think everyone accepts that the Jets are going to end the season with the top pick and will take Lawrence. These are more a bunch of what-ifs the Jets somehow pull off some wins and other teams continue to suck scenarios that aren't as likely.

Plus, the reality is that there are quite a few decent QB options (something like 6 QBs who could go in the first round). So even if they don't come away with Lawrence the Vikings/other teams could still draft a QB of the future and have him learn a year under Cousins.

10+ Year Old Account
    First game I have missed in 10 years. Slept right through it. Turns out it was also one of the most atrocious offensive games by the Patriots in forever. Can't say I'm sad I missed it...

Patriots in some trouble now though, a loss to the Broncos in their current state, at home? Ouch. We'll see how they respond next game, but they'll need some significant adjustments and development at the offensive skill positions, that's for sure.

This was just sad to read. Poor Jefferson is looking to be another Randy Moss. Amazing player who will waste the prime of their career with the Vikings because they just can't get over the hump =\

MINNEAPOLIS -- Mike Zimmer didn't give much thought to whether he would pull Kirk Cousins amid a first half in which the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback threw three interceptions that resulted in an eventual 40-23 loss to the Atlanta Falcons, replying with a simple "no" when asked if he considered making a change.

But although the head coach dispelled any notion over the QB's job security, Cousins is aware of the consequences that could come if his interception trend picks up following the Vikings' bye week.

"The reality is if the pace I'm on in terms of the interceptions, if that were to continue, I won't finish the season," Cousins said. "I won't -- you know what I mean? There's a little bit of, you got to improve. Whether it's them telling me, 'Hey, we gotta improve,' or them pulling me; we got to get better. That's what the rest of the season will be about for me, is trying to protect the football as best I can. Because when you turn the ball over, it really hurts your chances to win. I know that. I just need to improve as we look ahead to the rest of the season."

The three interceptions Cousins threw before halftime Sunday were his most in a first half in his career, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Cousins was given a two-year, $66 million extension in March that keeps him under contract in Minnesota through the 2022 season. In six games, the 32-year-old quarterback leads the NFL with 10 interceptions; he tossed just six in 2019.

"I need to correct it," Cousins said. "I need to finish the season with a different story, regarding the interceptions, so that's something I need to improve with the remaining games we have. I don't know that I'd limit it to the interceptions. I think it's just the entire offensive performance. It's just, I need to be better, we need to be better."

Minnesota won the coin toss and started the game on offense. Cousins threw an interception on the first play of the game on a pass intended for rookie Justin Jefferson. Atlanta linebacker Deion Jones returned the ball to the Vikings' 24-yard line, where the Falcons jumped out to a 7-0 lead after orchestrating a five-play drive that went 29 yards and ended with QB Matt Ryan hitting Julio Jones for a 20-yard touchdown.

From that point, the Vikings never were able to recover and truly test the previously winless Falcons.

"I thought the first one was the worst one, if you will," Cousins said of his three interceptions. "First play of the game, and the coverage was not confusing. It was just a zone drop, and I simply forced the football into coverage, tried to do too much. That's a mistake I may have made in Year 1, but I'm disappointed that I would do that now. The second one, third down, saw Cover 2, felt them squeeze Adam [Thielen], doubled Adam, and wanted to replace the squeeze with throwing it to Justin, and the cloud corner jumped it and made a good play. The third one, was just trying to work the bender to [Chad] Beebe. My arm got hit, and obviously it went up in the air and was intercepted."

Cousins finished the game having completed 24 of 36 passes for 343 yards with three touchdowns and three interceptions. \

As the Vikings head into their Week 7 bye with a 1-5 record, the worst start in Minnesota since 2013, the opportunity for introspection and potential changes is on the minds of many within the franchise.

"I think that's something we need to look at here starting tomorrow when we get back in and figure out where we're at, where we plan on going and kind of go from there," Zimmer said.

Jefferson, drafted 22nd overall, reached another career milestone in the loss with his third 100-yard receiving day (166 yards, 2 TDs). The last Vikings rookie to reach that feat was Randy Moss in 1998 (4). Jefferson is also the second player in NFL history with 500 or more receiving yards through his first five career games (537).
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...tions-continue

15+ Year Old Account
    You don’t pull your franchise guy because of the first half. Rodgers himself threw 2, both leading to touchdowns, one being a pick 6.

- - - Updated - - -

How the fuck did the niners beat the Rams and reach 3/3 with all their injuries? Did they get those guys back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    You don’t pull your franchise guy because of the first half. Rodgers himself threw 2, both leading to touchdowns, one being a pick 6.

- - - Updated - - -

How the fuck did the niners beat the Rams and reach 3/3 with all their injuries? Did they get those guys back?
    If he just had one bad half? Sure. But this isn't the first time Cousins has had a really bad half, or even bad game. He threw half as many ints in that first half as he threw all of last season and is so far having the worst start of his career.

Sticking to your starter despite regular bad performers is why we had Ponder as our franchise guy for so long. You have to be willing to admit that maybe they're not getting it done and maybe being benched is the wake-up call they need. At the very least you give your next-in-line a shot at doing something. I'm just tired of seeing Cousins and the offense limp along for 2 or 3 quarters only for them to score a bunch of points in garbage time which people then look at as if it's proof that he's a good QB and not part of the problem.

As for the Niners, even with injuries they still have a solid team. Plus the Rams can be inconsistent. If they can give Goff time and the receivers can get open they're a dangerous offense, and when their defense is getting pressure it wrecks offenses. But it's just as likely that you double/triple team Donald and they get nothing from the rest of their line and their guys can't get open for Goff.
    Last edited by Brubear; 2020-10-19 at 03:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Game has been ugly so far. Chiefs are running well, but both quarterbacks are doing poor, and Mitchell Schwartz just went out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice play by AJ Klein to give the Bills a chance at a halftime tie.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    We're back boys!
    Still getting stomped in our own division.
    Watch us go 12-4 with only losses to Ravens and Steelers but still don't make playoffs.
    With extra teams in this year, I'd be surprised if a 12-4 team doesn't make it in.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure no 12-4 team has ever missed the playoffs.

This bizarrely scheduled game is messing up my internal clock. I keep thinking its 3 hours later.

- - - Updated - - -

Bills defense going to pieces with stupid penalties.

- - - Updated - - -

Game #2 has been real ugly.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Caps off what has been an awful week of football, that whole first quarter was garbage.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Two bad back-to-back nationally televised games, I think the hype train is gonna die out.

We have serious issues on defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, it's like Mike McCarthy isn't a good coach.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Who knew that being terrible at everything so that Dak had to throw for 450+ to even keep the game close, wasn't a sustainable coaching philosophy?
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere in New Jersey, Jason Garrett is clapping.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Two bad back-to-back nationally televised games, I think the hype train is gonna die out.

We have serious issues on defense.

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t know how much I’m putting on him. The defense has been bad for years. In the past it’s been just the secondary, now the rest has caught up. I’m in no way a McCarthy fan and lord knows he wasted years of Aaron Rodgers but he inherited this zoo.

Zeke putting the ball on the ground twice like that killed them. They got stuck playing from behind with a QB that looks very rusty(Hell even one pick wasn’t on him, it was very clearly a missed PI when they tackled CeeDee).

I can’t remember the last time one weekend featured so many bad games. Every national game was a disaster.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Somewhere in New Jersey, Jason Garrett is clapping.
    He'd better not get too far ahead of himself. His team is what, 1-5 and his QB isn't making anyone say he's better than Dak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    I don’t know how much I’m putting on him. The defense has been bad for years. In the past it’s been just the secondary, now the rest has caught up. I’m in no way a McCarthy fan and lord knows he wasted years of Aaron Rodgers but he inherited this zoo.

Zeke putting the ball on the ground twice like that killed them. They got stuck playing from behind with a QB that looks very rusty(Hell even one pick wasn’t on him, it was very clearly a missed PI when they tackled CeeDee).

I can’t remember the last time one weekend featured so many bad games. Every national game was a disaster.
    As a Packers fan let me assure you, you can blame him for the defense. The man can't hire a good DC to save his life.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Fitzmagic getting benched for Tua, interesting time to do it. Guess they know Fitztragic would have appeared soon.