Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Why Solo-Torghast and every kind of Solo-Content will fail in WoW

Because Tab-Target Combat system is the most limited type of combat on the market
    As long as WoW has a tab target system? Impossible to do anything with it on solo content IMO.

Look how funny it is someone talking about possible new WoW Mechanics:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ViscousRamsh...ryxDoritosChip

------
    Some thoughts:

Tab target combat puts you atomatically on a timer if you are not a Class with kiting mechanics.
    Is a game of depleting the enemy health bar before he depletes mine on a timer.
    And on top of that, is a holy trinity game, meaning no class is designed for "solo-content"

There are some imaginative ways to make a Tab Target combat system fun...and im sure Blizzard already explored every single on of them after 16 years.

Some examples:
    -Dont stand in the fire
    -Go grab a buff over there
    -Avoid more fire
    -Dont look directly into his eye
    -Stop damage
    -Do damage
    -Hide behind a pillar

While a Combat system game relies on:
    -Immunity Frames
    -Avoid telegraphed attacks
    -Combos
    -Juggles
    -rolls
    -Collision Detection and Hitboxes

The most important part is that there is no "timer" in a combat system and is possible to take zero damage in fights (with skill ofcourse)
    This games were built from the ground up to be played solo and without a holy trinity system. WoW wasnt.
    -------

Anyone has any idea how to make "solo-content" in WoW somewhat playable? In new ways Blizzard hasnt thought about after 16 years?
    Last edited by Roanda; 2020-04-30 at 10:23 PM.

I'm sorry, where's the part that explains why this will cause solo content specificially to fail?

Besides, action combat also has its downsides, and those aren't the only two systems around, either.

For that matter, the best way to do high mask visions is solo.

Yes, please change WoW even more in some kind of twitch shooter/platform jump'n'run/dark souls clone. That's what i wanted when i signed up 15 years ago.
    /s
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

*Happily continues to solo Visions, will happily solo Torghast*

"I don't like tab target combat, so Solo content will fail."

You sure did for 99% of WoW's lifespan!

Is this yet ANOTHER thinly-veiled "I'm tired of WoW/MMOs" thread? Just do us a favor and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Because Tab-Target Combat system is the most limited type of combat on the market
    As long as WoW has a tab target system? Impossible to do anything with it on solo content IMO.

------
    Some thoughts:

-------

Anyone has any idea how to make "solo-content" in WoW somewhat playable? In new ways Blizzard hasnt thought about after 16 years?
    Mage tower > you

You're clueless

Quote Originally Posted by Siaer View Post
    Uhh...you know you can just use your mouse to target mobs, right? I can't say that tab-target has been any sort of impediment in solo content for me because I can...just...click the mobs/health bars I need to target.

As for the video you linked, that specific mechanic a) already exists in WoW, it just isn't represented in the exact way (we already have circles that explode after x seconds that need to be avoided, the circles just don't progressively fill over time to indicate when it will explode) and b) has absolutely nothing to do with the tab target system.

Tab-target certainly didn't stop anyone completing their mage towers, some of the most lauded and well regarded solo content WoW has ever added. I've also had, so far, had zero issues in Torghast due to Tab-target, so I am really not sure what you are on about.
    The defining factor of a tab target combat system is not the "tab target" (>_<)
    I explained everything on the "quoted part" of the OP

You are basically on a "timer" soon as you aggro a mob.
    That mob will keep attacking you with unnavoidable damage (if you are not a class that kites)

This combat system is limiting and it doesnt have any of this:
    -Immunity Frames
    -Combos
    -Juggles
    -rolls

Meaning there is no way to avoid this "timer" you are put in soon as you "aggro"

On top of that the entire game was not desingned from the ground up for every class to survive this possible "solo-mechanics"

Meaning WoW has to rely on cheap 1 cent gimmicks to keep players engaged in solo-content.

The entire leveling Xp is usually solo content. Granted the leveling content is NOT challenging, but still there are tons of players doing solo content in Horrific Visions and not only succeeding but excelling. I think there are better ways of making what is a very interesting point: tab targeting is outdated and may I add boring and ineffective.

You never before used some kind of CC?
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    Mage tower > you

You're clueless
    And what kind of gimmicks were put on mage tower that i didnt put on the OP?
    Im really curious

7+ Year Old Account

------
    Some thoughts:

-------

i dont understand literally anything you are trying to say.
    do you want the game to become wildstar with its mechanics?
    you know that games died in less then 5 years right, and no other mmo has done that cause its horrid
    and what does this have to do with single player?
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

The defining factor of a tab target combat system is not the "tab target" (>_<)
    I explained everything on the "quoted part" of the OP
    No, you didn't. In particular, you didn't at all explain why the combat system would cause solo content to fail. Your quote only says that the "holy trinity" design causes this, not the tab target combat.

And it's not like action combat doesn't have issues of its own. In particular, it is poorly suited for people who for various reasons cannot react as quickly. You're effectively advocating for losing a large part of the playerbase, which obviously isn't going to fly.

7+ Year Old Account
    You are basically on a "timer" soon as you aggro a mob.
    That mob will keep attacking you with unnavoidable damage (if you are not a class that kites)

This combat system is limiting and it doesnt have any of this:
    -Immunity Frames
    -Combos
    -Juggles
    -rolls
    Yeah, this is an RPG, not an ARPG
    in most RPG's you cant do those, you deal damage, you take damage, you need to out damage your enemy.
    there is only a handful of games where you can actually avoid damage, and telegraphed attacks
    guess what, wow already has that
    are you saying you want the game to be like a bulllet hell? cause in places like torghast i already feel like i can barely stop moving in some places with how much aoe gets placed down.

you mention juggles, combos, this is not a fucking fighting game.
    "colission detection and hitboxes" those are in wow my dude.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    No, you didn't. In particular, you didn't at all explain why the combat system would cause solo content to fail. Your quote only says that the "holy trinity" design causes this, not the tab target combat.

And it's not like action combat doesn't have issues of its own. In particular, it is poorly suited for people who for various reasons cannot react as quickly. You're effectively advocating for losing a large part of the playerbase, which obviously isn't going to fly.
    Tab target implies "aggro = unnavoidable damage over time", therefore the "timer" i was talking about.
    You can see how limiting that is?
    Last edited by Roanda; 2020-04-30 at 10:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like the Maut fight where you need to stand in bad stuff to avoid the big damage.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Yeah, this is an RPG, not an ARPG
    in most RPG's you cant do those, you deal damage, you take damage, you need to out damage your enemy.
    there is only a handful of games where you can actually avoid damage, and telegraphed attacks
    guess what, wow already has that
    are you saying you want the game to be like a bulllet hell? cause in places like torghast i already feel like i can barely stop moving in some places with how much aoe gets placed down.

you mention juggles, combos, this is not a fucking fighting game.
    "colission detection and hitboxes" those are in wow my dude.
    I dont want the game to be anything. Im pointing out a flaw, in the world of pointing out flaws.
    There is very little you can do with this system to make engaging solo content without using the same old gimmicks.

Could you give me a new gimmick that hasnt been explored after all this years?
    Last edited by Roanda; 2020-04-30 at 10:27 PM.

Tab target implies "agrro = unnavoidable damage over time", therefore the "timer" i was talking about.
    You can see how limiting that is?
    No. In fact, having the timer means you can have mechanics that manipulate that timer. If you don't, that option does not exist. What you call limiting actually adds another dimension.

Im pointing out a flaw, in the world of pointing out flaws.?
    Only the flaw is in your thought process, not the game.

7+ Year Old Account
    I dont want the game to be anything. Im pointing out a flaw, in the world of pointing out flaws.
    There is very little you can do with this system to make engaging solo content without using the same old gimmicks.

Could you give me a new gimmick that hasnt been explored after all this years?
    Dont need one, game is fine as is, adding gimmick after gimmick is what annoys people.
    we dont need the game to be an ARPG or a fighting game.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    No. In fact, having the timer means you can have mechanics that manipulate that timer. If you don't, that option does not exist. What you call limiting actually adds another dimension.
    Ok...so...you aggro 1 mob...you are now on a timer

And you say this "timer" is actually a good thing and not limited design, right?

So what happens when you pull 5 mobs?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    Mage tower > you

You're clueless
    /thread

/10char