Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

How did J. Allen Brack become president of Blizzard?

Before working for Blizzard, Brack's big job was being a producer for Star Wars Galaxies, during a time period where many players felt that the game's quality started to go downhill. But aside from game decisions... The guy isn't exactly a great public speaker, and at times even appears to belittle the audience "You think you do, but you don't." Him looking like a music store worker doesn't help matters.

And with all that... Blizz has been in a sea of controversy over the past year, with Blitzchung and Warcraft 3 reforged being at the heart of it. Brack's apologies have been... underwhelming, to say the least. So what did Morhaime or anyone else see in this guy to be president of Blizzard?

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    You're only looking at this from the external lens, that seens what he's done as what you consider shortcomings and failures. You aren't seeing the relationships he had with people like Morhaime, the company accomplishments he may have made, his inter-company skillsets, abilities or what he brings the company interally.

Maybe he's not met the communities standards as far as a president goes, but the company looks differently and sees what he's done over time. Maybe he's not been the president they'd hoped, but he's certainly done something of merit to allow him to get from point A to point B.

I'unno, but he looks like he's about 5 minutes away from trooning out.

who else would they pick when the company has suffered massive brain drain from higher ups leaving and it was him or "tigole bitties" whos busy trying to salvage overwatch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    Before working for Blizzard, Brack's big job was being a producer for Star Wars Galaxies, during a time period where many players felt that the game's quality started to go downhill. But aside from game decisions... The guy isn't exactly a great public speaker, and at times even appears to belittle the audience "You think you do, but you don't." Him looking like a music store worker doesn't help matters.

And with all that... Blizz has been in a sea of controversy over the past year, with Blitzchung and Warcraft 3 reforged being at the heart of it. Brack's apologies have been... underwhelming, to say the least. So what did Morhaime or anyone else see in this guy to be president of Blizzard?
    This is something you ask at the board meeting or the shareholder meeting...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Because he will gladly bow to his Chinese overlords that are Activision and do whatever the fuck they say. He's a yes man basically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    This thread seems to be nothing more than an attempt to create a hate circle jerk, but hey you do you
    I cant disagree with your assessment.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

I'm just a dude, if JAB is unqualified to do his job I'm even less qualified than he is to make that determination lol
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    who else would they pick when the company has suffered massive brain drain from higher ups leaving and it was him or "tigole bitties" whos busy trying to salvage overwatch.
    im curious who is tigole bitties? im gonna attempt to google around for it

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post

Are you telling me it was that idiot who was responsible for the "New Game Experience" that nuked the game's community?

And I thought Ion Hazzikostas was bad...

i believe in the positive power of video games and so i say that i believe in jay.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuraijake View Post
    im curious who is tigole bitties? im gonna attempt to google around for it
    Jeff Kaplan. Tigole Bitties or just Tigole for short was the in-game handle he's used since his days as an EverQuest raider.

It's actually quite ironic that Kaplan's turned from a foul-mouthed raid leader who Blizzard hired because of his various rants towards the EQ developers to someone lording over his game's shitty, broken, unfairly penalising and fully automated report system in an attempt to pander to snowflakes who get offended the moment someone calls them bad at the game.
    Last edited by Clbull; 2020-02-15 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    The janitor. He knows his shit.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Maybe you should ask them instead of randoms on a forum with zero inside knowledge of the ongoing inside blizzard.

This thread seems to be nothing more than an attempt to create a hate circle jerk, but hey you do you
    +1

That will just make people say "because he is this and that.... and he is nothing in the end of the day... and he is...xxx" assuming many things based on what they see, and not being the truth because they don't know a thing.

Who knows, maybe his loyalty to Kotick.

Being the producer of the most successful MMO game for nearly 15 years and probably the most financially successful game of all time, if we judge its unending monthly revenue for all of these years, likely qualifies him.

5+ Year Old Account
    Whatever is happened, one thing is certain to me: he didn't get his post out of merits or brilliant trajectory, but rather he must have been a pro at office politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharill View Post
    Because he will gladly bow to his Chinese overlords that are Activision and do whatever the fuck they say. He's a yes man basically.
    Yep, and he will also gladly kiss Kotick's ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being President of Blizzard Entertainment is more than just being a good producer on one of the most successful games in history. Perhaps before judging harshly it would be useful to know just what he brings to the equation.

Speculating wildly here I might guess that Brack internally has been an advocate for faster turnaround on new IP's and games. That seems like something that a good game producer would know about. Blizzard's culture is famously fat and slow. It needs to be leaner, more agile and more flexible on titles and platforms. Brack may be just the guy for that. It's probably useful to understand that a producer is not a designer. A producer co-ordinates teams to get shit done as much on time as possible.

I can well believe after the last dozen years that Blizzard needs help to become more responsive to the marketplace. If Brack's primary focus is less on the financial side and more on production/execution it may be a good thing.

Other than that, this thread is a pointless exercise in picking a well-known name and trying to create drama.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, he worked as a producer, more or less, for close to a decade on WoW and from what little I've heard from those with inside access, was extremely well-liked and successful in that role, which was more about management and resource allocation than game design.

However, by all accounts he's also more of a behind-the-scenes type and has never been a people person. I think you can tell from any of the interviews he's done over the years, but he's a prickly guy, and kind of sardonic and mean.

The reality is we don't know what his exact responsibilities were or what they've become, we don't know about the decisions and situations he's put in day to day, or how well-suited he is to high level decision making. We don't really have much of a glimpse behind the curtains, but Blizzard at this point is a huge company with numerous teams and layers of management, so trying to point to one person and explain why they are responsible for any perceived decline in the company is a pointless and futile exercise. None of us actually know what the top-to-bottom development pipeline really looks like.

What I can say is that he's got the charisma of a cactus and despite obvious PR training, his public appearances haven't really inspired confidence in the company. With figures like Metzen and Brode departing, the company very much lacks a likeable consumer-facing representative, and needs one desperately. Kaplan can only generate so much good will.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2020-02-16 at 12:04 AM.