View Poll Results: Marriage: I do or I don’t and what are the best months?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don’t never going to do eet!

25 67.57%
  • I do. (January to March)

1 2.70%
  • I do. (April to June)

5 13.51%
  • I do. (July to September)

4 10.81%
  • I do (October to December)

2 5.41%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    This angst against matrimony sort of seems like thinly veiled sexism if you ask for my honest opinion.
    That's not how "sexism" works, like, at all.

I would not have qualified for many things, including making my wife an American resident on the path to citizenship for one example.
    So you're saying it has anecdotal benefits. OK. But for most people, there are no real benefits outside of some dated sense of tradition and/or romance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    That's not how "sexism" works, like, at all.

So you're saying it has anecdotal benefits. OK. But for most people, there are no real benefits outside of some dated sense of tradition and/or romance.
    As others have pointed out there are other benefits as well, but surely they don't count either because reasons? You do you guy I couldn't care less to try and convince you of anything.

And as for the sexism comment if you don't understand what I'm saying it's okay to just not comment you know? Cuz obviously you don't lol

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    How does spending a ton of money on a wedding make your relationship better? I wish there was more definite statistical data to prove one way or another but the average tax return is around $3,000. The penalty or bonus is not life changing in any way shape or form and if you are financially savvy you shouldn't be getting a return from the government but adjusting it so that you owe and get nothing in return as the money is better in your pocket.

The divorce rate is around 50% so your claim about the benefits falls flat on the facts if you take that into effect there is a higher financial risk to marriage than cohabiting. I am not sure what you think my feelings have to do with anything I have been with the same person for 24 years.
    No one is forcing you to pay that much for a wedding. Just get a nice Dinner with the family and be done with it.

The important distinction is that no one has to be married, take the way you want but please don't act as if there were no good reasons to get married.

Additionaly, why is everyone afraid that the wife takes half of your stuff? Look for a wife who has her own stuff and doesn't need a provider.
    Last edited by Moe Szyslak; 2020-02-18 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    no U didn't read it properly, since it clearly states that penalties start at a certain income/home ownership/level of investments. and I did absolutely bring up the earned income tax credit as well.

I get it. somebody hurt you and you are now allergic to marriage. that's fine. no one is saying that you should be getting married. i'm merely refuting your claims that there are no financial benefits to marriage, and that includes your "most" claim. the reality, given average incomes of americans? for vast majority not planning on separating in near future marriage has more benefits than cohabitation. financially, including taxwise. on emotional level? that's depends on each individual relationship.
    why do you assume that anyone had to be hurt to not want to get married.

you have various typs of people - for example people living in polygamy relationships which in eyes of law in west doesnt exist and they are perfeckly happy but dont get married because it would hurt the person who couldnt do it because of stupid notion of bigamy . While if they would live in east in muslim countries or in africa they could be normally married

dont look at it so simplemindedly

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    As others have pointed out there are other benefits as well, but surely they don't count either because reasons?
    Sure. Anecdotal, subjective benefits. But from a rational, pragmatic perspective, there are no real benefits to marriage.

And as for the sexism comment if you don't understand what I'm saying it's okay to just not comment you know? Cuz obviously you don't lol
    It's not the reader's responsibility to figure out what you're trying to say, it's your responsibility to deliver it correctly. Regardless, outside of you being drunk and randomly pushing buttons, there's only two contexts in which your comment could even make sense and neither falls under the umbrella of "sexism".

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Szyslak View Post
    Additionaly, why is everyone afraid that the wife takes half of your stuff?
    It is called experience, i see it happen all around me year after year and i learn from it.
    To stay boyfriend/girlfriend is fine and the government and lawyers stay out of your relationship no matter what the outcome will be.

It's always the people who are the most vocal about, never doing something, that end up doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    It is called experience, i see it happen all around me year after year and i learn from it.
    To stay boyfriend/girlfriend is fine and the government and lawyers stay out of your relationship no matter what the outcome will be.
    So get a wife who makes as much as you do and voila the problem is gone.

I would have gotten married last summer but city hall was closed during the summer... We will probably do it sometime since there is some benefits (not many) and its important for her relatives, but for us it doesnt really matter much. Sign a paper here then have a party on Philippines the next time we go there.

We have a kid, thats bigger the wedding we are forever stuck together ;-) and I dont complain

I'd love to get married but I honestly don't really see the benefit unless I marry a foreigner and it'll make their immigration easier, or my emigration easier.
    Last edited by LilSaihah; 2020-02-19 at 10:58 AM.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Szyslak View Post
    So get a wife who makes as much as you do and voila the problem is gone.
    Divorces are known to be painfully spiteful affairs and it doesn't really matter what she makes US law heavily favors women and if kids are involved you have nearly zero chance of getting custody.

Divorces are known to be painfully spiteful affairs and it doesn't really matter what she makes US law heavily favors women and if kids are involved you have nearly zero chance of getting custody.
    And a break up of a long term couple, with or without children is not spiteful as well?

If more people acted like adults when ending a relationship and thinking about their children instead of themselves, there would not be as many "spiteful" breakups. This obviously excludes abuse, in that case take your children and get as far away ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    And a break up of a long term couple, with or without children is not spiteful as well?

If more people acted like adults when ending a relationship and thinking about their children instead of themselves, there would not be as many "spiteful" breakups. This obviously excludes abuse, in that case take your children and get as far away ASAP.
    Now imagine that breakup with lawyers and courts, I mentioned the children because it adds to alimony and child support. I mean relationships are hard enough without adding the law into it.

That's a myth.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    That's a myth.
    Unless there are mitigating circumstances children are more than likely to end up with their mothers than their fathers.

Unless there are mitigating circumstances children are more than likely to end up with their mothers than their fathers.
    There is no such thing as a custody arrangement without "mitigating circumstances". Each situation is unique.

It's a myth.
    -ynnady

There is no such thing as a custody arrangement without "mitigating circumstances". Each situation is unique.

It's a myth.
    uhuh you just keep telling yourself that.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/are-c...s-bia_b_870709

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...mo/P60-255.pdf

https://www.cor-law.com/blog/women-g...imination.html

I hate to break this to you, but over 90% of custody cases are decided without intervention from the family court system. This terrible, horrible, no-good, man-hating system you are trying to blame everything on is really just parents deciding of their own accord that the mother should have primary custody more often than the father.
    -ynnady

I hate to break this to you, but over 90% of custody cases are decided without intervention from the family court system. This terrible, horrible, no-good, man-hating system you are trying to blame everything on is really just parents deciding of their own accord that the mother should have primary custody more often than the father.
    uhuh

/10 char

uhuh

/10 char
    Yeah, it's tough when the facts obliterate your case.
    -ynnady