Poll: Marriage: I do or I don’t and what are the best months?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Putting all of your money into investments is an absolutely terrible idea in this day and age.
    As compared to what? Stashing it in a mattress?
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I hate to state the obvious but you are basically saying 90% of fathers don't want primary custody of their children, why do you think that is? maybe just maybe the lawyers are telling the fathers the reality that the have no shot. It's either one of two things fathers don't want it or the system is so against them that they are better off just giving up. Which do you think is the most likely scenario? guys don't want it or they advised that is the best course?
    I think the more likely scenario is that, on average, fewer fathers want custody than mothers. That's the simplest explanation and doesn't require conspiracy theories that stretch credulity to the breaking point. You are willing to argue that 90% of fathers are so pathetically disinterested in custody that if a lawyer tells them they have no shot they will immediately stop fighting. Get real.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    As compared to what? Stashing it in a mattress?
    Spend it. Live your life. Do you know how many 401ks vanished overnight in 2008?
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

I think the more likely scenario is that, on average, fewer fathers want custody than mothers. That's the simplest explanation and doesn't require conspiracy theories that stretch credulity to the breaking point. You are willing to argue that 90% of fathers are so pathetically disinterested in custody that if a lawyer tells them they have no shot they will immediately stop fighting. Get real.
    Are you high? the vast majority of people plead their case when their public defender lawyer tells them to that's when their freedom is on the line. Do you think people hire lawyers and pay to not listen to their advice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Spend it. Live your life. Do you know how many 401ks vanished overnight in 2008?
    Mine did, well... it didn't vanish but, you know what I mean. I didn't pull anything out, kept investing the max every year, now, 11+ years later I have about $1M in that account.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Are you high? the vast majority of people plead their case when their public defender lawyer tells them to that's when their freedom is on the line. Do you think people hire lawyers and pay to not listen to their advice?
    The downside of getting found guilty of a crime is jail or prison.
    The downside of fighting for custody is you... are right back where you started.

To think those are comparable is laughable. Only 4% of child custody cases go to trial. Very few child custody cases even go to mediation, and the standard is that if you don't agree you go to mediation and only after that do you go to the court. The idea that lawyers are advising men not to bother going to mediation is completely deranged and counterfactual.

Men spend HALF as much time raising their children in marriage as women do. That indicates a very strong preference by men to have the woman be the custodial parent.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine did, well... it didn't vanish but, you know what I mean. I didn't pull anything out, kept investing the max every year, now, 11+ years later I have about $1M in that account.
    Good for you, I lost more than that, for good, gone. I'm lucky enough to where that didn't impact my future plans, but few people are. The fact that we are in the middle of another bubble doesn't make your case good. It makes it worse. This is all phony growth again.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account

Good for you, I lost more than that, for good, gone. I'm lucky enough to where that didn't impact my future plans, but few people are. The fact that we are in the middle of another bubble doesn't make your case good. It makes it worse. This is all phony growth again.
    I'm not about to start withdrawing. I still have 16 or 17 years before my target retirement (55) and that's only if I definitely want to retire. I love my job and could easily see myself sticking around a few more years, particularly should fusion energy start to get really exciting.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

I'm not about to start withdrawing. I still have 16 or 17 years before my target retirement (55) and that's only if I definitely want to retire. I love my job and could easily see myself sticking around a few more years, particularly should fusion energy start to get really exciting.
    What kills you retiring early is healthcare. That stuff is brutally expensive for someone over 50.

Putting that aside, I moved my money to small parcel empty land.
    -ynnady

SNIP
    That is totally what is happening here unlike the loving caring mothers fathers are totes not interested in that stuff that is totes what is going on.

I see no flaw in your logic

uhuh.

That is totally what is happening here unlike the loving caring mothers fathers are totes not interested in that stuff that is totes what is going on.

I see no flaw in your logic

uhuh.
    Tell me why men spend half as much time engaged in their children's lives during the marriage, and why more than a quarter of men choose to have no contact with their children after divorce.

Could it be that men are, on average, less interested in raising children than women are?
    -ynnady

Tell me why men spend half as much time engaged in their children's lives during the marriage, and why more than a quarter of men choose to have no contact with their children after divorce.

Could it be that men are, on average, less interested in raising children than women are?
    citation and I also love how you explain away how loop sided the arrangements are with a stereotype about men even when many men want to spend more time with their kids not less.

citation and I also love how you explain away how loop sided the arrangements are with a stereotype about men even when many men want to spend more time with their kids not less.
    Its not a stereotype. It's facts. https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011...f-two-fathers/
    -ynnady

August of this year, my wife and I will be married for 30 years. Were there any bad times? I am sure there were. However, I have selective memory, which my wife can confirm, and only remember the good times.

10+ Year Old Account
    What kills you retiring early is healthcare. That stuff is brutally expensive for someone over 50.

Putting that aside, I moved my money to small parcel empty land.
    We're covered until 65 under my wife's plan, even after she retires, NJ school teacher.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect