Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    lmao stop making up statistics.
    90% of statistics are made up on the spot!
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Citation needed. Also, clearly the solution to your "problem" is a system of polyandry.
    Here you go for a start - https://law.emory.edu/elj/content/vo...nst-women.html

Research conducted over 171 countries, finding that those with polygyny (one man/many wives) structures increase violence toward women and children, decrease civil rights and political liberties in the state more broadly, and increase the allocation of resources in society toward weapons procurement. Polygyny exerts economic, physical, and political consequences for societies in which such practices remain prevalent.

Polyandry isn't the answer either - it still leads to an imbalance. Given equal numbers of men and women, you go either with monogamy or ever one is non-exclusive. So a man could have four wives if he wished, but all of those wives could also have multiple husbands. Governments would hate that yhough given how hard it would be to keep track of for purposes of taxation etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Here you go for a start - https://law.emory.edu/elj/content/vo...nst-women.html

Research conducted over 171 countries, finding that those with polygyny (one man/many wives) structures increase violence toward women and children, decrease civil rights and political liberties in the state more broadly, and increase the allocation of resources in society toward weapons procurement. Polygyny exerts economic, physical, and political consequences for societies in which such practices remain prevalent.
    Oh look, actual data.

It's a pity that said study itself admits it can't control for all the factors including but not limited to prostitution and also doesn't account for the fact that the vast majority of human societies until recently have been polygynous to one extent or another, and they have varied significantly in terms of levels of violence, oppression, et cetera. 171 countries is surprisingly not a statistically significant sample size for macro level assertions of that scale.

For instance, polygamous Heian period Japan afforded significantly more rights to elite women than monogamous contemporary Europe - compare also the relative status of women in Persian versus Hellenic (re: Athenian) society during the Early through Middle Classical Period.

It's also generally not good praxis to consider data since about 1800 as entirely representative of the human norm due to the fact most traditional cultural systems were disrupted by Europeans and are reflective of that either through mimickry or reaction.

Polyandry isn't the answer either - it still leads to an imbalance. Given equal numbers of men and women, you go either with monogamy or ever one is non-exclusive. So a man could have four wives if he wished, but all of those wives could also have multiple husbands. Governments would hate that yhough given how hard it would be to keep track of for purposes of taxation etc.
    Prostitution is a thing.

This equation of sexual activity with partnership is some het nonsense, Christ and Allah.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2020-02-17 at 01:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    With overpopulation and everything that comes with it, one of the solutions that comes to mind is a 1 child policy, globally, for the next somewhat years. Would you be in favour of this or not? Why?

Personally id say this is a pretty big infringement on our autonomy, on the other hand, its needed. So if not for life, id say its cool.
    Overpopulation will solve itself like it does with any other animal, a ton of us will die from unforseen circumstances, i.e new diseases, natural disasters, shortage of food.

If the chinese want to overpopulate china to the point where half of them die out due to a collapse of a complex system, then why should I care?

Overpopulation isn't a global issue, it's a national issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by arr0gance View Post
    Maybe they can poll the AI and figure out why their game sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    Overpopulation will solve itself like it does with any other animal, a ton of us will die from unforseen circumstances, i.e new diseases, natural disasters, shortage of food.
    Malthusianism was and continues to be bullshit, and opinions like this are directly responsible for several instances of what can be amounted to genocide. See: Ireland, Bengal, et cetera.

Not sure how many times I have to remind y'all that Social Darwinism is like, actual pseudoscience. You might as well claim that your opinions are supported by phrenology or Mercury being dummy thicc in retrograde.

If the chinese want to overpopulate china to the point where half of them die out due to a collapse of a complex system, then why should I care?
    Because famine is a manmade and entirely avoidable phenomenon if one considers the possibility of not being entirely sociopathic.

Overpopulation isn't a global issue, it's a national issue.
    The migrant crisis says hi.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

1 person in China pollutes 6 times as much as 1 person in India. Like 11 times more if you are from Canada.

There is a overpopulation problem all right, but its from developed countries

Malthusianism was and continues to be bullshit, and opinions like this are directly responsible for several instances of what can be amounted to genocide. See: Ireland, Bengal, et cetera.

Not sure how many times I have to remind y'all that Social Darwinism is like, actual pseudoscience. You might as well claim that your opinions are supported by phrenology or Mercury being dummy thicc in retrograde.

Because famine is a manmade and entirely avoidable phenomenon if one considers the possibility of not being entirely sociopathic.

The migrant crisis says hi.
    I don't subscribe to isms, i'm telling you straight, it's not the white mans burden to carry the worlds ails on its back, the west is not Atlas, propping up africa and east asia.

My country shut its doors to the migrant crisis, what makes you think we care if nations who have bombed the middle east for 40 years now have to live with the consequences?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't subscribe to isms, i'm telling you straight, it's not the white mans burden to carry the worlds ails on its back, the west is not Atlas, propping up africa and east asia.
    It is when the west is the reason for Africa and East Asia needing to be propped up in the first place.

My country shut its doors to the migrant crisis, what makes you think we care if nations who have bombed the middle east for 40 years now have to live with the consequences?
    Because said nations tend to have the guns to ensure that said migrants pick safer targets for asylum, like your country.

Assuming everyone followed your "logic" and just turned everyone away.

It is when the west is the reason for Africa and East Asia needing to be propped up in the first place.

Because said nations tend to have the guns to ensure that said migrants pick safer targets for asylum, like your country.

Assuming everyone followed your "logic" and just turned everyone away.
    None of what you said is true, atleast not to how it pertains to me. I don't care if usa forces france to take ""syrians"" at gunpoint.

10+ Year Old Account
    None of what you said is true, atleast not to how it pertains to me. I don't care if usa forces france to take ""syrians"" at gunpoint.
    That's nice, but the question wasn't whether or not you'd care - it's whether or not such a crisis would impact you. And yes, it would.

Also, did you seriously just claim that France isn't one of the "nations who have bombed the middle east for 40 years now"? Lol.

How'd Algeria work out.

That's nice, but the question wasn't whether or not you'd care - it's whether or not such a crisis would impact you. And yes, it would.

Also, did you seriously just claim that France isn't one of the "nations who have bombed the middle east for 40 years now"? Lol.

How'd Algeria work out.
    Your reading comprehension is exactly on point

10+ Year Old Account
    Your reading comprehension is exactly on point for what I imagine of a canadian.
    You're thinking of Endus. I'm the cantankerous Greek-Australian.

Also, nice avoiding the point, lol, but humanitarian crises don't stop at the border.

The irony of a Frenchman saying Syria isn't his problem when it was literally a French mandate.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2020-02-17 at 02:39 PM.

You're thinking of Endus. I'm the cantankerous Greek-Australian.

Also, nice avoiding the point, lol, but humanitarian crises don't stop at the border.

The irony of a Frenchman saying Syria isn't his problem when it was literally a French mandate.
    I wasn't though. I said, that the countries that have been bombing the middle east are now the same countries with the lion share of refugees.

Then you said something about guns, europe is nigh completely disarmed, germany barely has an operating military, the UK doesn't care anymore, france hasn't had a succesful military operation since 1918, thats why they all pushed so hard onto Libya to overcompensate.

Luckily my country has 0 involvement in the ME and have no white guilt culture.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't though. I said, that the countries that have been bombing the middle east are now the same countries with the lion share of refugees.
    Which is, again, avoiding the point that drawing a national border doesn't magically make the problem stop.

And also blatantly counterfactual given the refugee distribution anyway since the lion's share of refugees are actually in other Middle Eastern countries.

Once again, as a participant in and beneficiary of an exploitative international system you are thus ethically beholden to give a shit about its consequences.

Which is, again, avoiding the point that drawing a national border doesn't magically make the problem stop.

And also blatantly counterfactual given the refugee distribution anyway since the lion's share of refugees are actually in other Middle Eastern countries.

Once again, as a participant in and beneficiary of an exploitative international system you are thus ethically beholden to give a shit about its consequences.
    How many refugees are you housing, again?

Don't preach ethics buddy, practice first mr. Exploiter & beneficiary.

10+ Year Old Account
    How many refugees are you housing, again?
    Oh, how I'd love to be able to post the Bors comic right about now...

Don't preach ethics buddy, practice first.
    I am. By advocating the systemic changes that are necessary to produce a more equitable outcome.

If social problems were soluble on the individual level charity would have eliminated poverty by now. But as it turns out, modern problems require systemic solutions - who woulda thunk it?

Oh, how I'd love to be able to post the Bors comic right about now...

I am. By advocating the systemic changes that are necessary to produce a more equitable outcome.

If social problems were soluble on the individual level charity would have eliminated poverty by now. But as it turns out, modern problems require systemic solutions - who woulda thunk it?
    Paper thin. You're just a junkee, get your fix elsewhere you freak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paper thin. You're just a junkee, get your fix elsewhere you freak.
    Damn straight I'm a junkie.

I'm a junkie for justice.

Damn straight I'm a junkie.

I'm a junkie for justice.
    No, you're a junkie being a vapid feelgood virtue signalling prick. Your opinion is so worthless its about to implode on itself and create a black hole. I've seen this happen before, you should actually go outside or get a job.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-02-17 at 03:43 PM.

Overpopulation is generally only an issue in developing countries. And I think a far more ethical solution would be to change our diets to something more sustainable.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance