Page 1 of 26
... LastLast

Classic has to be more popular then current retail.

Since Classic was released, we have seen a drop in players in US, but not to the extend people were expecting. Our server is thriving so much that when Ony head is about to be dropped, the lag in Org feels like they are about to crash the server, as much as a 30sec to 1min delay.

The big ticket proof that Classic is more popular is Blizzard's advertisement to get new players to WoW. Blizzard isn't trying to pull new players touting retail WoW, but using Classic as a selling point for new players to subscribe. Currently in the US, Blizzard is offering 50% to new players for Classic. As we all know, classic is tied to the retail subscription, which in essence means that new players are getting BFA for 50% off. But the specific wording is "World of Warcraft: Classic".

TLDR: Blizzard is advertising for new players, using Classic WoW, proving Classic WoW is more popular.

Atleast way more people are raiding on classic than on retail, almost double the amount of logged players so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by arr0gance View Post
    Maybe they can poll the AI and figure out why their game sucks.

People prefer games that are easier to jump into. Classic in all areas of the game, is easier than Retail. It's also why LoL was the more popular moba at launch over HoN or Dota 2. It was slower and far easier to learn than the other two games.

If your player base craves super difficult stuff, then it will be successful, just look at savage raids in FFXIV. But WoW has never been that game, wow is about clout. Look at that hand of rag, look at the thunderfury. People like seeing iconic items and dreaming about getting them. knowing its only a 1-2 mechanic raid fight away. The average player barely clears normal in retail wow. and I feel like a scrub for just barely missing CE almost every tier.

Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post
    Since Classic was released, we have seen a drop in players in US, but not to the extend people were expecting. Our server is thriving so much that when Ony head is about to be dropped, the lag in Org feels like they are about to crash the server, as much as a 30sec to 1min delay.

The big ticket proof that Classic is more popular is Blizzard's advertisement to get new players to WoW. Blizzard isn't trying to pull new players touting retail WoW, but using Classic as a selling point for new players to subscribe. Currently in the US, Blizzard is offering 50% to new players for Classic. As we all know, classic is tied to the retail subscription, which in essence means that new players are getting BFA for 50% off. But the specific wording is "World of Warcraft: Classic".

TLDR: Blizzard is advertising for new players, using Classic WoW, proving Classic WoW is more popular.
    Asspulling numbers proves nothing but your own stupidity.

I would seriously doubt that more people would be playing Classic, when there is literally nothing for most people to do most of the time.

Barely any of the 30 or 40 people I knew that started Classic are still playing - maybe 2.

The absolute boredom just got to people.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    Atleast way more people are raiding on classic than on retail, almost double the amount of logged players so far.
    That's just not true, let's not lie xD

The big ticket proof that Classic is more popular is Blizzard's advertisement to get new players to WoW. Blizzard isn't trying to pull new players touting retail WoW, but using Classic as a selling point for new players to subscribe.
    Explains why every ad I've seen has been for new allied races or N'zoth saying we're fucked.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

literally none from dozen of my friends that came back to classic after 10+ years break from wow isn't playing it anymore

couple are now on retail tho

personally i quit once i got 60, there is nothing interesting past that for me

So... when Blizzard advertises Modern WoW in promotions, it's "ERMAHGERD WOW IS DEAD BLIZARD IS SCAMMING PEOPLE INTO SUBBING!!1!ELEVENTY-ONE!!"

But when Blizzard advertises Classic WoW in promotions, suddenly being advertised in promotions now means classic is better than modern WoW?

Don't you think there's a bit of "double-standards" in that kind of mentality?
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2020-02-17 at 02:51 PM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Classic has more players guuuuys, there are more people in Ironforge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Explains why every ad I've seen has been for new allied races or N'zoth saying we're fucked.
    People forget ads are targeted now.

Google knows if ur a classic fan boy or some one in a demographic to be attracted to it and will serve you classic ads. Hell I had to reinstall my ad blocker cos I was sick of seeing adds for a classic boost service on YouTube.

Its like, any one heared of sneak? It's a drink, comes as powder and you mix it with water, has caggine in it but no sugar or carbs, I love it and buy it on the regular, but I also now see ads for it on almost every website, does that mean sneak is super popular? No I doubt it. Just means I'm the kind of person that would buy it, which I am, cos I buy it fml.

Advertising for classic doesn’t exactly tell you that it has more players than retail, but it does tell you that blizzard believe in that product more than they do BFA which I think is a more eye-opening revelation in itself than any sort of player metrics. If you are a new player, the company themselves would rather you didn’t check out BFA.

Having said that, Blizzard said that at the end of Q4 they had more than doubled the subs they had in Q2. That figure is comparing just after 8.2 dropped versus before 8.3 dropped and a few months after classic had released.
    That in itself tells you that more people are playing classic than BFA, because the people who joined for 8.3 wouldn’t be included in Q4 figures.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    People prefer games that are easier to jump into. Classic in all areas of the game, is easier than Retail. It's also why LoL was the more popular moba at launch over HoN or Dota 2. It was slower and far easier to learn than the other two games.
    By that logic, shouldn't Heroes of the Storm be a success, then? It is, by far, the easiest MOBA game around.

Im sorry but the fact that people get a 50% discount on a fucking patch day even tells a whole diffrent story lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta love the amount of asspulled numbers in this thread.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by JacobMarley View Post
    Advertising for classic doesn’t exactly tell you that it has more players than retail, but it does tell you that blizzard believe in that product more than they do BFA which I think is a more eye-opening revelation in itself than any sort of player metrics. If you are a new player, the company themselves would rather you didn’t check out BFA.

Having said that, Blizzard said that at the end of Q4 they had more than doubled the subs they had in Q2. That figure is comparing just after 8.2 dropped versus before 8.3 dropped and a few months after classic had released.
    That in itself tells you that more people are playing classic than BFA, because the people who joined for 8.3 wouldn’t be included in Q4 figures.
    BfA is over though and SL is months and months away, you don't find ads for bfa anymore cos bfa is done, why would you want to attract new players to dead content?

BfA had its rather extensive ad run back when it came out. In a few months when SL has a firm release date then it will begone its ad run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, this is what we need, another thread to attract retail people to come in and try to bash the game.

Why does it HAVE to be more popular than retail? Stop guesstimating common sense would put the modern game way over a rehashed 15 year old game but even there we have ZERO numbers. You do also realize that before this they advertised new players using retail? They just switched it this time, means almost nothing. As long as classic is popular enough it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    By that logic, shouldn't Heroes of the Storm be a success, then? It is, by far, the easiest MOBA game around.
    hots came out way too late to have any significant impact one way or another

league initially offered a lot more than competition, it was free unlike hon and had stand alone modern client unlike dota

on top of that it was just way easier than both of them, that gave it big enough market share to keep it rolling

when hots was released, everyone interested in easy moba was already playing league and everyone else was on dota2

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    You're not wrong, but look at when LoL and Heroes came out? Like 6-7 years apart? LoL had already gathered most of its player base at that point. Switching from a Moba whos curve you've learned to another you don't isn't easy to do.

And to be fair, most people hate Heroes because of the lack of items and snowballing. It's "too" team-oriented. Having your carry, literally help carry the game in LoL, Dota2, or HoN was huge. But in Heroes, no hero can do that type of work.