Poll: Which would you prefer?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Meds vs. therapy

Obviously it depends to an extent on what mental illness you have, but would you rather go to a psychologist to get therapy via the psychoanalytic method, or would you prefer a psychiatrist to give you meds?

I’d rather have therapy, but the real kind. Not just paying to talk, but to actively get rid of what’s ailing my brain.

I've tried therapy, doesn't help. Medicine? Helps but has side effects. Currently not attending therapy due to it not helping nor using any medicine because of the side effects, except anxiolytics when I get anxiety attacks or medicine to help sleep if I haven't slept for some time.

I hate therapy. I've never found a therapist that I can trust. I do take meds though.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Meds don't cure the cause of mental illness so you are just throwing your money away.

Quote Originally Posted by Einsz View Post
    Meds don't cure the cause of mental illness so you are just throwing your money away.
    it doesn't cure it but it allows people to function. there's alot of diseases with no cure but people still take medication to treat symptoms.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Both together tends to have the best results. Depends on the issue.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

10+ Year Old Account
    The answer is both unless there is no need for medication. Not sure what you mean by "real" kind of therapy.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your illness and it's severity. Chemical imbalances can be treated with medication, though some of their symptoms require interpersonal-interaction (ie: therapy).

So, as always: depends on what's wrong with you.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Both if needed. But it should always be either only psychiatrist, or psychiatrist + medication. Never only medication.

Ask your doctor.
    Last edited by Revi; 2020-02-16 at 05:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Threads asking for medical advice don't survive for too long, am I right, @Rozz

Mod Edit: While this isn't exactly there at the the moment, the thread can stay open if discussion remains harmless.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-02-16 at 07:03 PM.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both. I do both. The long term goal is for therapy to be enough but as of now I can't function or survive without medication
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Thinking that all mental illness/conditions can be cured is very common for the crowd being vehemently against meds.

Meanwhile, the professionals are generally in agreement that a combination of proper medication and therapy is the way to go.
    But it'll all be fine, I can just ignore the professionals and eat a meaty diet to get rid of the things I was born with, after all!...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-02-16 at 05:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Threads asking for medical advice don't survive for too long, am I right, @Rozz
    this isn't technically asking for advice.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I choose neither.

Prayer works best.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

as we are talking about personal preference - therapy. i have tried meds. the whole "it gets worse before it gets better" got bad enough that I would rather not do THAT again. therapy alone is hard. depending on individual, it may not be enough at all, some people absolutely require meds to function. and some people have a choice. given that choice - therapy. both take time to kick in, but at least with therapy, i've never experienced "it gets worse" getting MORE suicidal, while taking meds because you are suicidal and do not want to be - is counterproductive.

likely if/when meds get better, i'll change my stance.

A therapist can't do anything I can't do myself. Drugs do something that I can't do myself. I'll go with drugs.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm more talking about physical illness now, but I prefer a diagnostic to understand where my illness is coming from and see my options and if it can be permanently treated.
    Medicine just benefits the Big Pharma. I hate doctors who say "OK I see your problem, this medicine helps with it. Bye."
    I want to know what caused the illness in the first place. But they just identify it and make me buy medicine.
    Last edited by Strawberry; 2020-02-16 at 08:13 PM.

Real therapy with the proper cocktail of meds for sure. Unfortunately, that costs about $150-200 for 50 minutes here in Canada as mental health isn't covered by the governments and our mental health care is some of the worst on earth. The CMHA just redirects you to paid places now and no longer offer free counselling. Add on the cost of drugs if your drug plan doesn't cover it/doesn't cover enough/don't have a drug plan.

I do think that those who say therapy doesn't work(among other excuses) don't realize they also have to do work themselves. Issues such as PTSD can be a massive reason for mental health issues and it can be overcome and controlled with proper therapy. Assuming the individual actually wants the help and works hard at it. Too many think they can just walk in and be cured of all symptoms without ever actually working at it themselves and then spew dribble like "it doesn't work". This is a terrible thing to tell anyone struggling as it makes people struggling think therapy won't work for them and then don't purse it. Its likely not working because of YOU and not the therapy. Its like saying that rehab doesn't work for drug addicts. Rehab works amazingly well for those that want help and work hard.
    When in doubt. Derp it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say it is always preferable to work through issues rather than just med them away, however, I get why some people would prefer that. Therapy so rarely seems to actually get to people's issues and rather just allows people to talk about them maybe figure stuff out as they do. Real therapy though has to really poke and prod and try to find people's root issues so they can not just know of it but really understand. My Grandfather was a psychiatrist and he used to joke about just repeating "I see" or "hmm" while not actually paying that much attention. People need to be given the tools to understand themselves and be shown how to properly use them, not just paid lip service to and prescribed some pills. I think pills overall are used too often as a shortcut.

Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    I would say it is always preferable to work through issues rather than just med them away, however, I get why some people would prefer that. Therapy so rarely seems to actually get to people's issues and rather just allows people to talk about them maybe figure stuff out as they do. Real therapy though has to really poke and prod and try to find people's root issues so they can not just know of it but really understand. My Grandfather was a psychiatrist and he used to joke about just repeating "I see" or "hmm" while not actually paying that much attention. People need to be given the tools to understand themselves and be shown how to properly use them, not just paid lip service to and prescribed some pills. I think pills overall are used too often as a shortcut.
    you're amazing xchurch, we can all learn lots of stuff from you! please don't stop posting! I love everything you are