Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I suppose young people might not know him as much nowadays (doesn't help that Cameron hasn't released movie in 12 years), but way back then James Cameron was as famous as Spielberg and Lucas. Everyone knew who he was. Perhaps that is why it might be important for Cameron to hurry up with Avatar 2: teenagers who grew up watching his movies are going to start hitting retirement age and clocking out, which means a big audience base for his movies will be dwindling. Same reason why CBS rebooted Star Trek in 2009 and why the Star Wars sequel trilogy was made. The Star Wars original trilogy will almost certainly be rebooted within the next 10 years to cash in before it's too late.
    Yeah I feel like James Cameron is still practically a household name

Was browsing through the Avatar wiki again when I noticed that there were now new pages on human naval craft, which hadn't existed before (we never see any human ships or boats in the movie), so I went to those pages and checked out the links in the references section.

Looks like Vietnam style boats. Is that a harpoon gun? Guess either 1. we get to follow the movie from a human perspective (NOT from the traitor! I mean someone loyal to humanity!) and there is going to be a scene where they have an encounter against a big ocean monster (giant whale, giant shark, giant manta-ray, whatever). OR 2. these guys are supposed to be the antagonists, and this is a combat scene between Sully and the Na'vi against the humans (maybe Sully and the Na'vi are riding ocean creatures as mounts?).

Apparently the big boat is called "Matador" and the smaller boat is called "Picador", and they're carried by a mother ship called "Sea Dragon". Is this mothership flying, like the Dragon gunship from the first movie? A flying carrier that carries sea going boats... that's a first. Or is this some sort of Tuatha de Danann style submarine mothership?

Now this is pretty exciting. An underwater mecha called "the Crabsuit". Reminds me of the Cancer underwater mechas from Gundam Wing! And it can fold up! Maybe the RDA will get smart and camouflage it to look like rocks, so we can get a scene where Na'vi pass by... and then behind them, a rock starts moving and sneaking up on them from behind.

Concept art for the second film stickied to the Avatar twitter page. Seems like the Na'vi do indeed get underwater mounts. Strangely, it doesn't appear that there is a nerve queue at the back of the creature's head for the Na'vi to link up with. I also have to question HOW the Na'vi are supposed to breathe while riding these things underwater. In the first film, when Jake was trying to run away from the Thanator, he leaped down a waterfall, and he evidently wasn't able to breathe underwater and had to surface for air. So... what? Have the water tribes invented some sort of rebreather?

This is a new RDA facility called "Bridgehead". It seems that this place might be underwater? There is another image that depicts the new RDA chief here, so this implies that this is the HQ of the humans in the sequel.

These soldiers are clearly fighting against hostiles in a human base, which seems to imply that the Na'vi are travelling to the humans and trying to kill them inside their own habitats! Alternatively, the humans may be trying to reclaim their base from the first film, in which case that would suggest that the Na'vi or alien wildlife has taken up residence in the abandoned facility.

In the first picture with Cameron, we see a tank for storing an Avatar doll. In the second picture, we see pods for human pilots to sit in so they can remote control Avatar dolls. These sets were constructed for the second film, so it would appear that we will have human-avatar pilots. I'm guessing either 1. these new avatars are the protagonists, once again trying to diplomatically broker a peace with neighboring tribes, or 2. the movie will take place from Jake's view. These Avatars are going to pose as travelling Na'vi and join up with Jake's group, and then halfway through the movie we're going to get the reveal that they are actually avatar spies for the RDA.

In the second image, notice the control tower?/bridge in the top left. It has a rather strange slant going down behind it. This might not be a grounded control tower, but might actually be the bridge of a ship. This might be the Sea Dragon mothership that was mentioned earlier.

I suppose young people might not know him as much nowadays (doesn't help that Cameron hasn't released movie in 12 years), but way back then James Cameron was as famous as Spielberg and Lucas. Everyone knew who he was. Perhaps that is why it might be important for Cameron to hurry up with Avatar 2: teenagers who grew up watching his movies are going to start hitting retirement age and clocking out,
    Dude, its decades until Generation X clocks out, it's baby boomers that r clocking out n they weren't teens during cameron's best mivies 80/90s.

Ur not getting ridd of gen x anytime soon, u millenial rascal

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Dude, its decades until Generation X clocks out, it's baby boomers that r clocking out n they weren't teens during cameron's best mivies 80/90s.

Ur not getting ridd of gen x anytime soon, u millenial rascal
    Kills me how many boomers and Millenials act like gen x doesn't even exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    they just jelly they didn't experience the 80s n 90s at a young age

- - - Updated - - -

-snip-
    guy is dedicated af...wish we could clone him so he could rezz the alien franchise..

The Avatar movie game was suprisingly good, anyone who played it would likley have their expectations exceeded x)

But legit, Avatar is Pocahontas AND Fern Gully, its a more direct rip off of Fern Gully than anything else.

Boomers convinced the Millenials they are the only generation after them, partly to not acknowledge they are aging. But also because it is easier to blame a single generation for the mess ups of all the others. Boomers will live forever! Everything is the Millenials fault! As for Avatar 2, not exactly thrilled to see what comes next. Always believed that the moment whats his name plugged into the tree, his humanity was erased and he became another drone of the tree.
    Retail sucks. Classic sucks. No positivity, only negative feedback. Why is everybody so damn miserable? Must be somebody else's fault, it couldn't possibly be my INSANELY TOXIC ATTITUDE.

Stephen Lang Has Finished Filming Avatar 2 & 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blmXXggbl0c
    https://screenrant.com/avatar-2-3-st...plete-details/
    BY MIKE JONES PUBLISHED 17 HOURS AGO

Actor Stephen Lang has officially completed filming on James Cameron’s highly anticipated Avatar 2 and 3. Lang was one of the stars of Cameron’s original 2009 Avatar blockbuster, portraying the morally corrupt Miles Quaritch. Killed off in the first film, fans of Cameron’s ground-breaking franchise were particularly surprised to learn that Lang was returning for roles in at least two of the upcoming sequels. But under Cameron’s guidance, the character is indeed back, and Lang is excited to be part of what he’s labelled “Avatar on steroids.”

So much has time has passed since the release of Avatar, that many people have forgotten how much of an impact that the film had on cinema for years afterward. Cameron has long been known as a filmmaker who takes big risks and who has a significant interest in pushing the boundaries of traditional filmmaking. Avatar single-handedly ushered in a new era of 3D cinema upon its release, creating countless imitators – none of whom could quite hit the same high water mark that Avatar had established. But as time went on, 3D filmmaking fell out of favor and audiences were no longer impressed by the technology. Now, with the release of Avatar 2 a little over a year away, attention is again returning to Cameron’s passion project.

Filming on Avatar 2 was completed back in September of 2020, and Cameron continues to film the remaining sequels in New Zealand. But, at least one star of the new films has finished work on two of the sequels. Lang recently revealed to EW that for the most part, his work on Avatar 2 and 3 is complete, though he may still have to return to “do a line here and there.” Tight lipped over much of what’s taking place under Cameron’s careful eye, Lang stated:

"I was in communication just last week with New Zealand, with my director, and everything's great — he's working hard. My acting work on both Avatar 2 and 3 is complete. I might have to go back and do a line here and there, but I'm really done. I hate to even call it post-production, what's going on now, because it really is the making of the film. It's just a beautifully imagined universe that Cameron has conceived of here. The partners we have, the people working by his [side], are committed to the vision of it and they bring so much to the table, from the actors to the caterers and everybody else. I'm looking forward to it as much as everyone else. It's been so long in the making, so long a part of my life."

Though exact specifics about everything from the plots of the Avatar sequels to how the five films will connect together is virtually unknown, one thing that fans have learned over recent years is that much of Avatar 2 will take place underwater. Cameron has pioneered a new technology that has reportedly enabled motion capture underwater – something that has not previously been done in a film. It does seem that Cameron continues to show no signs of easing off his desire to continuously be rewriting the rules on what is or isn’t possible in modern filmmaking. The end results will certainly be worth a trip to cinemas.

As for Lang’s Quaritch character, it remains to be seen just how his return is handled. Of course, there’s always the possibility that some of both Avatar 2 & 3 utilizes flashbacks – a tactic that might just also offer far more insight into the RDA’s background as well as its relationship with Pandora. Then again, with the first Avatar having been set in the year 2154, there very well could exist some sort of technology to bring certain individuals back to life in the subsequent sequels. One thing is for certain; as the wait for the first of the four sequels continues, there will be plenty of conjecture to keep fans incredibly eager for more.

Gonna be honest, will be hard to get me into this now. Waaayy to long of a wait for a series that isn't established/large (like Star Wars). I might watch it, but certainly not craving or looking forward to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

If James Cameron makes a movie I'll certainly watch it. Cameron is good at exploring new technical ideas and showing us something slightly new and interesting. Even if the story is derivative and the writing is mediocre i'm sure it will still be a spectacle worth watching. And I don't mean "spectacle" in the same way as an Avengers movie or a Michael Bay movie, Cameron is usually interested in more mature themes that at least try to be meaningful.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-08-11 at 06:23 PM.
    Let's spread optimism and defeat pessimism! (HumanProgress.org)

They are not called the silent generation for nothing. :P
    Proof is boring. Proof is tiresome. Proof is irrelevance. People would rather be handed an easy lie than search for a difficult truth, especially when it suits their own purpose.
    - Glokta
    The Last Argument of Kings, The First Law Trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    We’re just prepping for our war with the Zoomers. Once the boomers are gone it’ll all be our fault.

OT: I too will watch anything Cameron does. However saying he started a 3D trend is like saying Nintendo started a motion control trend and treating it as a net positive. By and large 3D was a shoved-in mess whenever implemented (like motion control) and something I think we can largely do without.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I've never even heard that label before.

I've never even heard that label before.
    That’s because it’s a term for the generation that preceded baby boomers. Not gen x.

Because they are both afraid of us.

Avatar’s James Cameron Explains the Necessity of Shooting in 3D

https://ymcinema.com/2021/08/24/avat...hooting-in-3d/
    BY YOSSY MENDELOVICH - AUGUST 24, 2021

On the occasion of Avatar 10 Year Anniversary, Cameron has held a Q&A session answering questions from audiences. One of the questions was addressed Cameron’s obsessively to shoot only in 3D. Here’s the question: “You are making all of your movies in 3D. Why is 3D important to you?”. Cameron answered: “We experience the world through stereoscopic system…visual system (we all have two eyes) and when you see stereo, it triggers regions at the brain that make you feel that you really there…. We want to take you to Pandora and feel it, smell it, so you can go on a real journey, and 3D imaging helps with that…People want to go to the cinema and have a full experience, not 90%, but 100%.”

Furthermore, James says that 10 years ago, there was a limitation regarding the duration of 3D movies which were limited to 90 minutes. That was because of the 3D glasses. The Studios thoughts that moviegoers would feel uncomfortable wearing 3D glasses for the entire movie. However, they were wrong. According to Cameron, when the movie is good and immersive, the audiences forget about wearing those 3D glasses. That broke the time limitation which allowed to expand the duration of the 3D movies to more than 150 minutes (for instance: Avengers, Transformers, the next Avatars, and more).

Watch the whole Q&A session below:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theangryone View Post
    Because they are both afraid of us.
    Definitely the loudest generation ever