Page 1 of 23
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Post [TV] Neil Gaiman's The Sandman

The Corinthian? Morpheus? Death? How are they supposed to do these characters live action? I'd prefer this animated, this is a bold move..

Netflix's Sandman Casting Breakdown Describes Dream, Show's Main Villain

https://www.cbr.com/netflix-sandman-...am-corinthian/
    by Sam Stone – on Feb 18, 2020 in TV, TV News

As pre-production continues on Netflix's adaptation of The Sandman, casting descriptions for the television series' protagonist and primary antagonist have surfaced online.

Entertainment reporter Daniel Richtman has shared casting breakdowns for the two main characters on his Patreon site, offering new details about Morpheus and the murderous Corinthian. Both character descriptions appear faithful to the original comic book source material, echoing franchise co-creator Neil Gaiman's earlier statement that the adaptation will closely follow the Vertigo Comics series' overall story. Gaiman is attached to the production as a screenwriter and executive producer.

Morpheus, one of the Endless serving as the Lord of Dreams, is described as a male aged from 25-34 of any ethnicity. The character is tall and slender, with pale, white skin, black hair and will have two stars in place of his eyes. While careful to fulfill his duties crafting dreams and nightmares, Morpheus is described as slow to understand the subtleties of humor and even slower to forgive, with a tendency to become self-obsessed.

The casting information for the Corinthian is scanter, as he's described as a Caucasian man aged 30-34 with a seductive air about him. The character was created in 1989's The Sandman #10 by Gaiman and Mike Dringenberg as a serial killer with small, ravenous mouths for eyes, which are often concealed by sunglasses.

The Sandman is an adaptation of the universally acclaimed Vertigo series of the same name by Neil Gaiman. The Netflix series is developed, co-written, and executive produced by Allan Heinberg, who also serves as the series' showrunner. Gaiman and David S. Goyer will both executive produce and co-write the series. No premiere date has currently been announced by Netflix.

The Sandman Wiki

"I walk across the dreaming sands under the pale moon: through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone and times beyond recall." ~Dream, in Brief Lives.

Dream is one of the seven Endless, who are powerful beings older than gods. He is both the personification, as well as the lord over all dreams and stories, and all that is not in reality (which, in turn, Dream may define by his existence). He has had many names such as Morpheus, Kai'ckul, Sandman, and Oneiros. His appearance can change, depending on the entity looking upon him. He is described in Season of Mists as appearing to mortals as "rake-thin, with skin the color of falling snow" and that he "casts a human shadow when it occurs to him to do so".

Appearance

Morpheus usually appears as a tall, thin man with bone-white skin, black hair, and two distant stars looking out from the shadows where his eyes should be. Most often they are silver, blue, or white, but when he becomes angered, they have been known to turn red.

Morpheus' appearance ranges widely "depending on who's watching." People generally perceive him as wearing a style of dress appropriate to their region and era. In the Dreaming, however, he is often seen wearing a grey tee-shirt and dark jeans. The people of Tales in the Sand's primordial African city see him as a starry-eyed African man. And although he is most often seen in human form, Morpheus appears as a giant black cat when speaking to the lonely cat-pilgrim of Dream of a Thousand Cats, and as a cat-headed god when addressing the Egyptian feline goddess, Bast . The Martian, J'onn, of the JLA, sees Morpheus as a Martian god in the shape of a flaming alien skull and identifies him as Lord L'Zoril, but Mister Miracle; looking at him simultaneously, sees Morpheus as a human. In Season of Mists, however, he appears in the same form to all the attending gods, and Bast comments, "I much prefer you in cat form, Dream old friend".

In The Dream Hunters, which is set in ancient Japan, Morpheus appears as a Japanese man to a Buddhist monk, and as a fox to a fox spirit. It is unclear whether Morpheus' appearance is determined by the expectations of onlookers, or if he chooses to manifest himself in different forms. He deliberately changes the style of his clothing to be less conspicuous when he visits the waking world as seen in Preludes and Nocturnes when he dealt with John Constantine.

He customarily wears a billowing black cape when abroad, sometimes with a flame motif or a pattern of dreamers faces. In battle he wears a helmet made from the skull and backbone of an enemy god whom he defeated. This helmet is also his sigil in the galleries of the other Endless; as well as appearing in the dreams (and at least once on the staircase wall) of Wesley Dodds. His face and dress resemble his creator, Neil Gaiman.

Speech

Morpheus' speech is usually portrayed as white text in black, wavy-edged speech bubbles bordered in white. The text is capitalized normally (sentence case) in stark contrast to other characters' speech; generally in block caps text. He has a formal manner of speech.

He almost never laughs out loud - or even smiles - but when he laughs, it is a disquieting sound, almost a growl.

Personality

Though ultimately a heroic character, Dream has many flaws. He has trouble catching sarcasm and jests, causing him to often appear cold and humorless. Dream can be insensitive, self-obsessed, and slow to forgive or forget what he perceives as slights. He has a long history of broken romances, and is shown, both directly and by implication, to be prone to harsh reactions when his relationships fail.

As Mervyn Pumpkinhead remarks after the end of one of Morpheus' romances, "He's gotta be the tragic figure standing out in the rain, mournin' the loss of his beloved. So down comes the rain, right on cue. In the meantime everybody gets dreams fulla existential angst and wakes up feeling like hell. And we all get wet."

There is a long-standing enmity between Morpheus and Desire, stemming from Desire's involvement in the breakup of one of Dream's romantic relationships (seen in Endless Nights).Near the end of the Brief Lives story arc, Desire says of Dream: "He's stuffy, stupid, and thinks he knows everything, and there's just something about him that gets on my nerves." Desire's self involvement, by definition, being even greater than Dream's.

It is implied that before his imprisonment he was in some ways colder and more blind to his flaws, and much of The Sandman is focused on Morpheus' desire to atone for his past behavior such as helping past lovers Calliope and Nada. Morpheus has great pride that does not tolerate damage or embarrassment, examples include banishing Nada to Hell for rejecting him, and being angry (originally) at the notion presented by Hob Gadling that he is lonely and needs friends.

Morpheus is constantly aware of his responsibilities, both to other people and to his realm. He is detailed and exacting in their fulfillment, as noted in Season of Mists, where Morpheus is described as, "Of all the Endless, save perhaps Destiny, he is most conscious of his responsibilities, the most meticulous in their execution." He shares a close, reciprocal bond of dependence and trust with his elder sister, Death. He consistently strives for understanding of himself and of the other Endless, but is ultimately defeated by his most tragic flaw: his inability to accept change. In The Wake, when asked by Matthew "Why did it happen? Why did he let it happen?", Lucien remarks, "Charitably... I think... sometimes, perhaps, one must change or die. And in the end, there were, perhaps, limits to how much he could let himself change."

Morpheus is noted in Season of Mists as "accumulating names to himself as others make friends, but he permits himself few friends." He is given more names in The Sandman than any of the other Endless, far beyond the many translations of Dream.

A very different version of Dream was shown in Endless Nights where he had a positive relationship with Desire and was very happy. However, this changes during the events of the story in Endless Nights.

Relationships

Dream has had a history of romantic involvements, all of which ended poorly for various reasons. Despite his cold exterior, Dream is often passionate and infatuated with his lovers. Whenever his respective relationships end, he is often crushed and goes into a state of depression. Very few of Dream's relationships are depicted in the Sandman Library, forcing readers to a great deal of speculation. Dream seldom mentions his past relationships, they usually are only mused upon by his servants or by his siblings.

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-02-20 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    The Corinthian? Morpheus? Death? How are they supposed to do these characters live action? I'd prefer this animated, this is a bold move..
    None of those characters are very difficult to do live-action. Really, the eyes are the only tricky part with any of them...and that's fairly simple CG work.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2020-02-21 at 04:02 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    None of those characters are very difficult to do live-action. Really, the eyes are the only tricky part with any of them...and that's fairly simple CG work.
    Plz don't derail thread with Trump pictures...at least change img to an url so I don't have to look at that..

As for the characters, well, they are in these multiverse of madness dream worlds..looks like lots of expensive cgi..

Dunno who can play morpheus, but winona ryder (25 years ago) would have been perfect for Death..
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/84/bc...c8c8af6a7b.jpg
    or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Rjs-ekYiI
    ..though she usually looks so sad, Death has a happier persona
    Maybe that other stranger things actress, natalia dyer

Morpheus, Corinthian n some others seem so much harder to narrow down..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-06-18 at 07:10 PM.

Plz don't derail thread with Trump pictures...

As for the characters, well, they are in these multiverse of madness dream worlds..looks like lots of expensive cgi..

Dunno who can play morpheus, but winona ryder (25 years ago) would have been perfect for Death..
    There are characters that would make for expensive CGI...the three that you mentioned are not among them however

And the trump picture is just as example of how easy it is to replace eyes with mouths..so I see no reason to remove it.

As for casting Morpheus...Neil Gaiman himself has said at different times that Johnny Depp, Tom Hiddleston, or Benedict Cumberbatch would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    There are characters that would make for expensive CGI...the three that you mentioned are not among them however

And the trump picture is just as example of how easy it is to replace eyes with mouths..so I see no reason to remove it.

As for casting Morpheus...Neil Gaiman himself has said at different times that Johnny Depp, Tom Hiddleston, or Benedict Cumberbatch would be perfect.
    Bennydick would be the best

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't stand Crumplesnatch, so I hope they don't cast him.

Jon Hamm needs to be on the show somewhere. Not Dream. Maybe Destiny...

Ezra Miller would be perfect for Desire. As would Tilda Swinton.

Please Netflix... Don't fuck this up.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    First I've heard of this. I'll give most things Sandman-related a shot if they've got Gaiman's approval, but it always struck me as the sort of thing you'd want to bring to life with big budget animation, not live action. Half the charm to me was the mind-screwy art and set pieces, the otherworldly characters, etc.

Then again, the big three Endless (Dream, Death, Desire) were clearly inspired by real people and I've seen some amazing cosplay of them over the years, so eh. Cautiously optimistic for this.

5+ Year Old Account
    If Constantine will be in this, like he was in the comic, well, he was last played by keanu reeves..

And why would they start with the corinthian, that's not the beginning of the comic...
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-02-21 at 09:41 AM.

If Constantine will be in this, like he was in the comic, well, he was last played by keanu reeves..
    Sorry, but that's just not true.
    In 2013 Matt Ryan took over his role for the TV-series. Ever since he was also incorporated into the arrow-verse and keeps showing up there.

5+ Year Old Account
    Arrow-verse

Don't know this matt ryan, but from pictures he dyes half his hair blonde for his role, which just makes him look odd..

ok, seen one trailer, looks interesting, haven't seen that actor in a while..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VukUg5Jh6k
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-02-21 at 05:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Ever since he was also incorporated into the arrow-verse and keeps showing up there.
    He's also fucking NAILED IT. So, if they do use Constantine in the first season at all, I'd very much enjoy Matt reprising the roll. I'd also be happy to see Angelica Celaya return to play his ex, for THAT section.

I know it wasn't Zedd in the comics, but I'd like to see her return, as well.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

5+ Year Old Account
    Two audition tapes have appeared online, one is still available for the Corinthian, the other, Death has been listed 'private' how lame...

Dunno if any of these people have been hired..

The Corinthian, watch while it's still up..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPv979DJxLY

Death, after Dream gets all his goodies she appears to talk about pidgeons n what a total dork he is..
    https:// vimeo .com /399326028
    I could say who the actor is, but that would give an immediate bad impression, it's Bad poooussy GoT ...
    Does not do a bad audition, no D&D

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    First I've heard of this.
    I didn't hear about it until a year later after they announced they would do the show...and these audition tapes...almost nobody mentions them in media...

This whole project is under the radar, dunno why..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-04-02 at 05:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two audition tapes have appeared online, one is still available for the Corinthian, the other, Death has been listed 'private' how lame...
    I can 100% buy that dude as Corinthian. Didn't even need to hear him talk. He just look crazy.

As for Death. HARD pass. She's cute, sure. But her read was all wrong. WAY too serious, way too flat. Even when she was meant to be angry, and hitting him with bread, she barely emotes at all. Hard pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Sorry, but that's just not true.
    In 2013 Matt Ryan took over his role for the TV-series. Ever since he was also incorporated into the arrow-verse and keeps showing up there.
    Not to mention he did the voice of the animated character a bunch of times too.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I can 100% buy that dude as Corinthian. Didn't even need to hear him talk. He just look crazy.

As for Death. HARD pass. She's cute, sure. But her read was all wrong. WAY too serious, way too flat. Even when she was meant to be angry, and hitting him with bread, she barely emotes at all. Hard pass.
    Maybe it's private cuz she didn't get the job? dunno...who would you want to see as Death?

Who will be Lucifer? Peter Stormare?
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-04-02 at 07:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it's private cuz she didn't get the job? dunno...who would you want to see as Death?
    Gods I hope so...

As for who I'd cast: Taylor Hickson. She looks the part, and she was great in Deadly Class. I think she could nail it.

Who will be Lucifer? Peter Stormare?
    I'm 10000% behind Peter Stormare in anything. I know a lot of people will want Tom Ellis back... But honestly, I never liked that show, so I'd say Peter, or maybe Gustaf Skarsgård.

Also I REALLY hope the get Matt to reprise his roll as Constantine. He's absolutely nailed it.

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘The Sandman’: Audition Tape For Dream Surfaces Online.

https://fullcirclecinema.com/2020/04...udition-dream/
    Jacob CampbellPOSTED ON APRIL 15, 2020

While much of Hollywood is in a state of limbo since the spread of Coronavirus, it seems Netflix’s The Sandman is still slowly moving along. Recently an audition tape for Dream of the Endless surfaced online.

Created by Neil Gaiman, Sam Kieth, and Mike Dringenberg, Dream first appeared in 1989’s The Sandman #1. He is one of the seven Endless and the personification of all dreams and stories. In DC Comics, he rules over The Dreaming and has gone by many names, including Morpheus and Oneiros. In 1916 Dream was imprisoned by British occultist Roderick Burgess only to escape 70 years later and find his kingdom in ruins.

In March, a tape for Death surfaced, but it seems now actors are trying out for the role of her brother and the main character of the series Dream. The original audition tape was first spotted by Geeks WorldWide but, unfortunately, the video is no longer available for viewing. Thankfully, another actor has posted an audition tape reading the same lines.

As you can see in the video above, it sounds as though this is right after Dream returns to The Dreaming following his escape. Given the lines in the video, it seems the character he is speaking to is Lucien, Dream’s chief librarian who oversees a collection of every book that has ever been imagined. In the comics, it was Lucien who greeted the character at the edges of the crumbling Dreaming.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Peter Stormare was great Lucifer for the Constantine movie, but he is not the Lucifer Morningstar from the Sandman Universe.
    Hmmm...'Gabriel' (Tilda Swinton) in that movie looks more like him..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-04-29 at 07:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ‘The Sandman’: Audition Tape For Dream Surfaces Online.
    Not bad, not bad. Seems a little... shouty. But Preludes & Nocturnes era Dream is kind of a dick, so that's fitting.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Not bad, not bad. Seems a little... shouty. But Preludes & Nocturnes era Dream is kind of a dick, so that's fitting.
    He needs to loose lots of weight, dream needs to look very gaunt i thinks..