Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think its cool, no I haven't watched all of it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I never read the comics, but since pandering is the thing now, I'd like to ask, is everyone gay and half of the cast black in the comics or they wokenized this show?

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    I never read the comics, but since pandering is the thing now, I'd like to ask, is everyone gay and half of the cast black in the comics or they wokenized this show?
    They've changed some things, but it works. That's all that really matters. People's races or genders in the original were often irrelevant to the story, so there's really nothing wrong with a more diverse cast.

Like how Death is played by a black actress, but that doesn't change anything. She's an anthropomorphic personification of an abstract concept, who can and does appear in all sorts of shapes in the comic anyway. Matters not one lick what race the actress is.

And the one character where gender (or lack thereof, or multiplicity thereof) does play into the character (Desire) they did REALLY well. So there's not really anything to complain about.

Really? "Wokenized"?

“The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'll troll the thread to get react...doh.

It matters, pandering is cringe, black people don't like it, LBGT don't like, it's just not organic, too much in your face. Why swap John Constantine to a hotass lesbian, I didn't buy that character at all.

It matters, pandering is cringe, black people don't like it, LBGT don't like, it's just not organic, too much in your face. Why swap John Constantine to a hotass lesbian, I didn't buy that character at all.
    She's a hotass bisexual. Just like John is.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    How is a woman bisexual magic detective less believable then a male one? Hell even from just a historical perspective gay female witches is way more prevalent then male ones.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

If you have specific comments about this show, now that it's out, go ahead. Discussion of social agendas and politics in general are considered off-topic for this subforum. Derailing the thread by continually baiting around "wokeness" will be infracted.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's an entire storyline about a trans woman in the comics that was written in the 90s. The stuff Gaiman was writing in the 80s / 90s is more progressive than most of the stuff being produced today.

If you can't handle that, probably won't enjoy this series or its overall messages very much.

Anyway, I'm gonna check it out pretty soon. Haven't really been able to find time lately to just watch TV shows or play games. Glad to hear it's getting pretty solid reviews so far from fans of the books.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Netflix After Show, currently live.

Interesting to know that they actually did do Dream as pale as he is, complete with wild hair and the basically black eyes. But went against most of it because it just looked ridiculous for the screen.
    They did the star eyes in episode 1 and it was amazing. It would have looked stupid if they kept it up all the time tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Oh yes the comic has tons of LGBTQ stuff in it. Gaiman even commented on that, saying he finds it weird people are bringing it up for the series when he's been doing it for 30 years.
    His name is gaiman, what do people expect?

How come when offered by the old mans son later to be let out if he does not kill any of them. He still does not talk. Knowing his realm his dying ? Just finished the show and loved it, but was curious about this.
    Last edited by BetrayedOf52; 2022-08-11 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    How come when offered by the old mans son later to be let out if he does not kill any of them. He still does not talk. Knowing his realm his dying ? Just finished the show and loved it, but was curious about this.
    Dream being a bit thick is a common theme throughout the story.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Don’t think he knew his realm was dying just that there was chaos from in the moral world, he also had a huge grudge because of his bird.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Dream didn't really know his realm was dying... just that damage was being done to the mortal realm. When he got back to the Dreaming he was surprised at how bad things were there. And he wanted to punish the dude for killing Jessamy, not reward him. Dream was very angry... probably angrier than he had ever been in his entire existence. He wasn't going to promise not to hurt his tormentors.

Stood in the Fire Fixxit the Gnome's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    I quite enjoyed it. I like that they kept the tone from the comics, and not made it some sort of run-of-the-mill bombastic fantasy show. Really liked that the characters sometimes just had the time to slow down and talk about stuff.

Something that kind of irked me though, was that sometimes the CGI looked pretty good and other times it was very clearly just 3 actors in front of a green screen.

Also, people complaining about John Constantine being bi clearly don't know that character, lol.
    - Dare not to sleep -

He killed Jessamy, that doesn't exactly engender goodwill. Also, Dream just didn't believe him. They've been trying to get him to just talk to them for over a century - this could just as well be the last in an endless array of ploys to get him to just do that. He would have no way of knowing whether they'd keep their deal, and risk giving up the only leverage he's had for a hundred years (his silence).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxit the Gnome View Post
    Also, people complaining about John Constantine being bi clearly don't know that character, lol.
    I don't think the complaints about the John/Johanna swap have much merit. The complaints she's not as "grubby" as John fall short, because she's Johanna; she's not a gender swap, she's an actual character unto herself from the comics, they just let her not age so she could be around in the modern era. The reasons were pretty clear; the production wasn't licensed to use DC characters the original comics didn't invent; John was an original DC character, Johanna was Gaiman's. And they cut the rest of the DC characters, and I think it's improved the early part of the story; Martian Manhunter would be weird as fuck to include in the modern era, and it never really contributed much to the original, IMO. And later, it doesn't really connect to DC much if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I was super happy this wasn't included.
    100%. The whole thing with DC superpowers that's here and there in the comic would feel REALLY out of place.