View Poll Results: Is technology good or bad?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

    48 88.89%
  • Bad

    6 11.11%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese Bootlickers View Post
    What's up with the sudden resurgence of Luddites?
    Less about Luddites and more about putting profits before innovation.
    I firmly believe that were far behind on breakthroughs on medicine simply because pharmaceuticals have learned from the polio vaccine that a couple of inexpensive shots that gives a lifetime benefit crushes the bottomline. Better to have expensive half measures that a sick individual needs for most of his/her life...

  2. #42
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Less about Luddites and more about putting profits before innovation.
    I firmly believe that were far behind on breakthroughs on medicine simply because pharmaceuticals have learned from the polio vaccine that a couple of inexpensive shots that gives a lifetime benefit crushes the bottomline. Better to have expensive half measures that a sick individual needs for most of his/her life...
    That's just conspiracy level thinking to believe that the medical and pharmaceutical communities don't want to improve their products/services.
    -------
    Logical Fallacies: Ad hominem, Generalizing history to pre-determine the future.

  3. #43
    Good or bad for what end? For making us happier as a whole - probably has no effect on that. Some poor farmer without electricity in Cambodia may be happier than an overworked millionaire somewhere in Japan, or a rich fund baby who doesn't know what to do with themselves.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

  4. #44
    The Insane Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    17,104
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    That's just conspiracy level thinking to believe that the medical and pharmaceutical communities don't want to improve their products/services.
    They don't want to do that. They want to make perpetually increasing amounts of money.

    If improving their products/services will result in that, they will attempt to do that.

    But if they can make their desired money without having to spend money on that improvement, they happily will.

    And they are doing the latter.

    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

  5. #45
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    They don't want to do that. They want to make perpetually increasing amounts of money.

    If improving their products/services will result in that, they will attempt to do that.

    But if they can make their desired money without having to spend money on that improvement, they happily will.

    And they are doing the latter.
    Actually your link is about boosting the price of existing products where as Shadowferal's point was about a conspiracy to prevent 'innovation', which is about discovering entirely new and/or better medical products and services. Medical and pharmaceutical organizations do work on innovating and claiming otherwise is nothing short of conspiratorial nonsense.
    -------
    Logical Fallacies: Ad hominem, Generalizing history to pre-determine the future.

  6. #46
    The polio vaccine proved that such things can be done.
    But it will never happen as long as greed is controlling progress. And pharms have a vested interest. It's only logical.
    It's the same reason why pharms in the US flatly refuse to outsource prescriptions. Not because they're unsafe. But because they're cheap, and affects profits.

  7. #47
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The polio vaccine proved that such things can be done.
    You can't generalize from particular instances of success(or failure) to any other because each organism is different and requires new and novel molecules to address each parasite. With that said there is no such thing as an organism that can't be countered with enough knowledge and technology, you simply can't expect that solutions to arrive in any kind of predictable fashion. A solution could be discovered tomorrow, or in a decade, or a century.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    But it will never happen as long as greed is controlling progress. And pharms have a vested interest. It's only logical.
    It's the same reason why pharms in the US flatly refuse to outsource prescriptions. Not because they're unsafe. But because they're cheap, and affects profits.
    It's not, if you and all the people you know aren't greedy then start studying chemistry, biology, and medicine and work on this issue without the "greed" you claim to hate. If other people spent their time and energy on gaining pharmaceutical and medical skills you don't have an inherent right to the fruits of their labor, ie their medical products and services. Unless you pay for them then access to them is entirely a privilege(charity) and not a right.
    -------
    Logical Fallacies: Ad hominem, Generalizing history to pre-determine the future.

  8. #48
    I am Murloc! shadowmouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dongbei, PRC ... for now
    Posts
    5,829
    I'm sure it has already been mentioned but: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/gold...ess-model.html
    Goldman Sachs analysts attempted to address a touchy subject for biotech companies, especially those involved in the pioneering "gene therapy" treatment: cures could be bad for business in the long run.

    "Is curing patients a sustainable business model?" analysts ask in an April 10 report entitled "The Genome Revolution."

    "The potential to deliver 'one shot cures' is one of the most attractive aspects of gene therapy, genetically-engineered cell therapy and gene editing. However, such treatments offer a very different outlook with regard to recurring revenue versus chronic therapies," analyst Salveen Richter wrote in the note to clients Tuesday. "While this proposition carries tremendous value for patients and society, it could represent a challenge for genome medicine developers looking for sustained cash flow."
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    I'm sure it has already been mentioned but: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/gold...ess-model.html
    I'm near certain that such a conversation has been had more often than we want to know.

    On another front; Big Pharma and Clinical Trials

  10. #50
    definitely yes, technologies ease our life

  11. #51
    Technology is neither.
    It's the users who are good or bad.

  12. #52
    Legendary! Zuben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    6,042
    It'll probably be what destroys us in the end, directly or indirectly, but I still say it's good.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

  13. #53
    Pandaren Monk smityx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Walmart Basment FEMA Camp 7
    Posts
    1,974
    Good to a point. One good exception is social media.

  14. #54
    since the spread of the internet and social media, I have noticed quality in all sectors of life drop.

    It's like people are sidetracked or can't focus on a job for long enough to get it done properly.

    The result is aircrafts that aren't properly built or checked, inferior products with a new shine to them...

  15. #55
    Good in what way?

    Health?
    Ethically?
    Psychologically?
    Spiritually?
    For society?

    Good or bad is such a vague question.

  16. #56
    The Lightbringer Twoddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,495
    The predicted cyborgs thing after the networking era is over is kinda depressing, who wants this!?

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    maybe YOU would but there are plenty of people that live off the grid and are doing just fine. technology can be both a boon and a hindrance when you rely TOO much on it. one good CME would knock that technology out just like that.
    i wouldnt call that "fine", but that just a personal opinion.

  18. #58
    I would say it's good in more ways than not but it can be bad if we start to rely on it too much. Technology makes things easier for us, does things we used to have to do but now no longer. Speeds up work, makes some things safer, and the overall quality of life goes up. However, I feel if we rely on it too much we'll forget how to do things ourselves.

    Also it could lead to a more anti-social world which we kinda live in today. People don't want to interact with other people anymore. They'd rather order something online than go to a store and walk around and browse simply because of the convenience of not having to drive out there (I admit I'm guilty of this but it's more to do with my social anxiety). That's why we have all these retail stores closing because everybody just goes on Amazon or something to buy their stuff. Some people don't even want to go out for food anymore they'd rather have it delivered to their house.

    I'm not saying all of this is bad but moderation. Too much of something is never a good thing.
    Last edited by Grubenwolf; 2020-03-05 at 05:12 PM.
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

  19. #59
    Good question but answering the question is easy. In a mature society technological advance is the only known way to improve the standard of living. There have been no tech advances whose beneficial effect in the long run did not vastly exceed the disruptive effects in the short run. I totally support the industrial automation. It can help to reduce costs and definitely improve quality. I'm glad that I found a reliable supplier of industrial automation equipment here https://eltra-trade.com/. Btw, they offer the lowest priceson the market
    Last edited by johnnyysmith; 2020-04-10 at 09:19 AM.

  20. #60
    Old God Vash The Stampede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Better part of NJ
    Posts
    10,577
    Remember this when eventually we use technology to cure all diseases and eliminate aging. We used technology to remove the need for wars as resources are more freely available. With the adoption of electric vehicles, the need for oil from questionable countries will also be eliminated. Lab crown meat will solve a lot of problems we have with meant production. Technology isn't inherently evil, just that some humans are.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •