View Poll Results: Is technology good or bad?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

48 88.89%
  • Bad

6 11.11%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is technology good for us?

Sure, it makes everything easier and more convenient. Sometimes it even saves lives. But it also makes us lazy, anti-social and unfocused. Is technology good or bad for us?

I think technology is ultimately good. Living virtually can be depressing, but sadness is a luxury few can afford. I’d rather be sad and comfortable than happy and homeless, like the mystics in developing countries.

No. Everyone should go back to living in caves and women should push out 10+ kids to have 3 of them survive to adulthood.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Sure, it makes everything easier and more convenient. Sometimes it even saves lives. But it also makes us lazy, anti-social and unfocused. Is technology good or bad for us?

I think technology is ultimately good. Living virtually can be depressing, but sadness is a luxury few can afford. I’d rather be sad and comfortable than happy and homeless, like the mystics in developing countries.
    We'd be dead without technology so this isn't much of a debate. Everything from clothing, to agriculture, computers, cars, medical instruments... People have no idea just how shitty it was centuries ago.

Rejecting technology is one of the fastest ways that you can make yourself irrelevant in 2020.
    -------
    Logical Fallacies: Ad hominem, Generalizing history to pre-determine the future.

The only problem with technology I can list at the moment is people driving while on their phones (talking and texting)

technology is good for us
    technology is also bad for us
    there is nothing that can be useful but cannot be misused

Two way street. I mean technologies make our lives easier and in a lot of ways and not to mention meaningful. Life is more than look for and find food at the basic day to day level. But they also can lead to our ultimate demise. Pollutions and weapons being a by product of most of them we come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    We'd be dead without technology so this isn't much of a debate. Everything from clothing, to agriculture, computers, cars, medical instruments... People have no idea just how shitty it was centuries ago.

Rejecting technology is one of the fastest ways that you can make yourself irrelevant in 2020.
    maybe YOU would but there are plenty of people that live off the grid and are doing just fine. technology can be both a boon and a hindrance when you rely TOO much on it. one good CME would knock that technology out just like that.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2020-02-21 at 02:09 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Without technology I wouldn't even know who Luddites are! >.>
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

Sixty years. One sexagenary cycle complete, a new adventure awaits.
    shadowmouse, previously bungeebungee

Technology changing too fast can have disruptive effects on society.

Arguing that technology should be allowed to evolve without checks and balances makes you about as looney as libertarians claiming the same about the economy.

At the moment new technology is causing disruption. Just ask the few people who drive off a cliff every year because they trusted their GPS. (Minor joke don't take it too seriously.)
    Last edited by Rochana; 2020-02-21 at 02:53 PM.

A spoon and fork are technology. Anyone who thinks technology doesn't make life better, is free to move to the middle of the desert, and go their own way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

The greatest technological threat atm is AI.

Just think of how those ten billion people in third world countries will react when all their work and income is taken away and will go to Google AI in California instead. Some of those third world countries have a whole lot of people, weapons and even some nukes. And they'll also have a whole lot of time to kill when they no longer have jobs.
    Last edited by Rochana; 2020-02-21 at 03:06 PM.

Technology shows that science works and in turn helps science move forward.
    If anything, technology helps us to learn about the universe and allows us to marvel at its wonders and mysteries, which puts our own little lives and planet into perspective. Which I think is important for us if we want to move forward as a species.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Sure, it makes everything easier and more convenient. Sometimes OFTEN it even saves lives. But it also makes us lazy, anti-social and unfocused. Is technology good or bad for us?

Of course it is, and like anything else it can be abused.

All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Technology is just a tool. It generally helps things, but there is always a cost. It really isn't a good or bad thing.

"If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;"
    - If, Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    The greatest technological threat atm is AI.

Just think of how those ten billion people in third world countries will react when all their work and income is taken away and will go to Google AI in California instead. Some of those third world countries have a whole lot of people, weapons and even some nukes. And they'll also have a whole lot of time to kill when they no longer have jobs.
    lol don't worry about AI in the slightest. The kind of AI they're working on is purely ANI, they mistakenly believe that intelligence is about the reinforcement and recognition of patterns.

In the US jobs are at around 150 mil, ~3.3 bil globally, you should expect these stats to go up incrementally over the next few decades even as AI gets better. Because the type of AI they're making doesn't share a space with human intelligence(especially creativity) that allows us to generate new kinds work, where as ANI can't generate anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    maybe YOU would but there are plenty of people that live off the grid and are doing just fine. technology can be both a boon and a hindrance when you rely TOO much on it. one good CME would knock that technology out just like that.
    I said they have made themselves "irrelevant", which doesn't mean they aren't doing "fine". A lack of technology is basically like a glass ceiling, it doesn't stop you from eating and drinking or working simple jobs buts it does prevent you from getting all the modern skills that are needed to be competitive in 2020.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-02-22 at 09:38 AM.
    -------
    Logical Fallacies: Ad hominem, Generalizing history to pre-determine the future.

Technology is a tool. We are bad for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daevelian View Post
    So this is how far the Lore forum has fallen? Eesh.
    I take it back, BfA is not the lowest the games lore could have gone, this thread proves that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    And just like the thread before it, let's back away from sexualizing Azshara and return to the original topic at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Technology is a tool. We are bad for us.
    This.
    Tech is two-edged sword. Though I'd say it cuts us more than not.

Thank the gods for paper ballots!
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration

lol don't worry about AI in the slightest. The kind of AI they're working on is purely ANI, they mistakenly believe that intelligence is about the reinforcement and recognition of patterns.

In the US jobs are at around 150 mil, ~3.3 bil globally, you should expect these stats to go up incrementally over the next few decades even as AI gets better. Because the type of AI they're making doesn't share a space with human intelligence(especially creativity) that allows us to generate new kinds work, where as ANI can't generate anything new.
    Considering the current google AI can teach itself from scratch how to beat the previous grandmaster World Champion Chess AI in less than 4 hours, the previous AI containing a database of hundreds of millions of grandmaster games to pool it's decisions from, and simultaneously show off new genius tactics that were never seen before in the history of mankind, I wouldn't be so sure that the current AI is only capable of 'pattern recognition'.

And even the AI that does depend on pattern recognition, such as the current Google search engine, already determines the way the market works. We don't make websites or make adverts on the internet that appeal to humans, we make them to appeal to the Google search engine algorithm.
    Last edited by Rochana; 2020-02-22 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Considering the current google AI can teach itself from scratch how to beat the previous grandmaster World Champion Chess AI in less than 4 hours, the previous AI containing a database of hundreds of millions of grandmaster games to pool it's decisions from, and simultaneously show off new genius tactics that were never seen before in the history of mankind, I wouldn't be so sure that the current AI is only capable of 'pattern recognition'.

And even the AI that does depend on pattern recognition, such as the current Google search engine, already determines the way the market works. We don't make websites or make adverts on the internet that appeal to humans, we make them to appeal to the Google search engine algorithm.
    Oh apparently you're talking about AI that operates in a bounded domain of discourse like Chess, where there's only a finite amount of state spaces to learn from. For problem domains that have that characteristic AI most certainly will be setting superhuman records constantly now and in the future. That's not the kind of AI that will make humans obsolete though because only human-type intelligence can generalize from a specific domain like a Chessboard to all other possible domains.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-02-22 at 08:57 AM.
    -------

That's not the kind of AI that will make humans obsolete though because only human-type intelligence can generalize from a specific domain like a Chessboard to all other possible domains.
    Are you of the opinion that that is what is expected today from low-skilled workers?