Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Corruption gear the worst idea ever for WoW?

Great thread here;
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...l_much_talent/

What do you mean I'm not supposed to get 60% of my damage from passive sources

Basically showing the absolute ridiculousness of the overpower the BS Corruption system gives you. It's unreal Blizzard ever allowed this into the game. Passive stuff like Corruption is just supposed to be a little helper to your gear, not the main part of your damage, This is BS.

This is how they balance classes now. 50% of the damage comes from non-class abilities removes 50% of class variance. It’s harming the game and the game designers need a good thing through about where the hell they are going here.

So 60% of BfA fury warriors damage comes from RNG based rent-a-skill.

Thank you Ion, I cancelled my preorder of Shadowlands.
    Last edited by Zorachus; 2020-02-21 at 01:54 PM.

I hope this doesn't carry anywhere further but N'Zoth. Corruptions should've stayed in internal beta server without ever seeing a daylight.

It would not be the worst if there was some form of determenstic way to choose amoung them. Having gotten 3x Void Rituals while every single player i face in Arena Infinite Star or Mindflay. It's another layer of complete RNG of which you got no control whatsoever over. It's such a huge and unfair advantage there is absoulotly no control over what you're going to get. It's extremely demoralising, loosing games due to the fact that you were 'unlucky' with the loot yet another week. Infinite stars topping dps for the opponent and there if nothing whatsoever you can do about it.

I love to PvP but i can't play that part of the game that i enjoy the most because i have to spend all my time in King's Rest and pray for a Sword. 14 runs (and 7 bonus rolls) and counting.

Yeah great system.

Worst idea no, it's execution could have been much better though. Cleansing should be reversible at some cost. How far off the tubing is on some things is questionable too.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    Great thread here;
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...l_much_talent/

What do you mean I'm not supposed to get 60% of my damage from passive sources

Basically showing the absolute ridiculousness of the overpower the BS Corruption system gives you. It's unreal Blizzard ever allowed this into the game. Passive stuff like Corruption is just supposed to be a little helper to your gear, not the main part of your damage, This is BS.

This is how they balance classes now. 50% of the damage comes from non-class abilities removes 50% of class variance. It’s harming the game and the game designers need a good thing through about where the hell they are going here.

So 60% of BfA fury warriors damage comes from RNG based rent-a-skill.

Is the corruption system trash? yes. Worse then titan forge by far. It is also not unreal that Activision Blizzard allowed this into the game. They are now the laughing stock of the industry. They are the new EA but worse.

Think about it, just to name a few here... Diablo Mobile game (is this april fools joke?), the Starcraft ghost failure collapse, WoW BFA - everything has been pretty buggy or dog crap even when the BETA gave them TONS of info, they released it anyway, FREE HONG KONG!, WC3 Reforged - same thing as BFA, they had tons of beta info and yet the released it anyway only for it to get slammed by community, and also this corruption patch, the dailies and visions and bonus events bugging out, shit gear system, raid is awful and buggy, never seen so many world first race bugs in my 15+ years of WoW.

Blizzard has died, Activision now calls all the shots and they ruined everything built over the last 20 years in a matter of months. All for that $$$$$.
    They do not care. So what you mean its unreal?

Just cleanse all the gear and make a guild where everyone else cleanses everything too - you can make reddit posts about how you're tackling content at its most difficult, with zero crutches.

I think the concept is sound, and its interesting playing around with Corruption level

The damage span across the various abilities is out of hand though.. as is the randomness of the Corruption level. The stronger abilities should just carry massive Corruption levels

It's not here to stay anyway.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea at all, I think it was poorly implemented like many other systems.

Corruption could be a fuckin amazing gear system if it wasn’t RNG. Choosing between tiers as you upgrade your resistance is honestly pretty fun. People are still testing things on the healer side like mixing multiple T1/2 of certain corruptions and it’s fun to try shit out like that. However this is almost impossible as it’s all up to RNG. If corruption was targetable it’d be so much better.

They did the same shit with legendaries. They were on the cusp of a great system, got a ton of feedback saying “make legendaries targetable” and they flat out said “no”. Then we had complaints all of legion about legendaries until 7.3 when they decided to add a way to target legendaries.

This is what scares me for shadowlands and the future. Feels like they never learn. It’s also really bad that they keep adding new systems, barely test them and then spend all expansion fixing them only to remove them and start over in the next expansion. We’ll see what happens but damn, it feels like an itch you can’t scratch when they get so close to an amazing system only to implement it poorly and then remove it.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2020-02-21 at 02:03 PM.

Balance issues doesn't make it the worst idea for wow ever.
    My suggestiond would be hybrid tax, Garrosh/Garrosh2.0 storyline, blood elves for horde, or pointless vendor trash.
    Mother pus bucket!

I'm a pretty casual player these days, I've stopped raiding, I don't really pvp and I just log in, do a few world quests (or dailies now) and maybe a dungeon or two now and then. Since corruption was added, I've basically stopped playing. I have a couple of corrupted pieces and every time I log in, I think "ugh, need to get vessels, do the visions, upgrade my cloak" and log back out. Because if I don't do any of that and get new corrupted gear I have to cleanse it. Which sure, that works fine, except it feels completely counter productive to make new drops weaker than what they dropped as, just so I can use it.

Honestly, even without taking RNG into account (which by all accounts is god awful) having a system that requires you to do a grind, to then do another piece of content, to then upgrade your cloak, before you can actually do the content you want to do, is just fucking stupid. Again, I know cleansing is a thing, but that in itself is a god awful solution to a problem that should never have been put in the game.

As I said, I'm a casual player these days. I've been playing since Vanilla so obviously I'm a bit burnt out on WoW and only play it for short periods at a time or when there's new content. Even with that in mind and despite it's flaws, I really enjoyed BfA. I liked the story, I liked the zones, I liked the dungeons and raids (even in LFR), hell I even enjoyed warfronts and Islands for a while. But my god, 8.3 has killed the little motivation to play that I had. I did the first week and haven't really played since and that's entirely down to corrupted gear making me unmotivated to do the content I want to do.

This isn't a rant about me quitting WoW or WoW is dying or anything, I'll be back for Shadowlands, but it's funny how one system can completely destroy my enjoyment of a game because it's just so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    See you in Shadowlands.

Actually, it may not be made now that you cancelled your order. It made an impact to the company and they can no longer survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    I'm a pretty casual player these days, I've stopped raiding, I don't really pvp and I just log in, do a few world quests (or dailies now) and maybe a dungeon or two now and then. Since corruption was added, I've basically stopped playing. I have a couple of corrupted pieces and every time I log in, I think "ugh, need to get vessels, do the visions, upgrade my cloak" and log back out. Because if I don't do any of that and get new corrupted gear I have to cleanse it. Which sure, that works fine, except it feels completely counter productive to make new drops weaker than what they dropped as, just so I can use it.

Honestly, even without taking RNG into account (which by all accounts is god awful) having a system that requires you to do a grind, to then do another piece of content, to then upgrade your cloak, before you can actually do the content you want to do, is just fucking stupid. Again, I know cleansing is a thing, but that in itself is a god awful solution to a problem that should never have been put in the game.

As I said, I'm a casual player these days. I've been playing since Vanilla so obviously I'm a bit burnt out on WoW and only play it for short periods at a time or when there's new content. Even with that in mind and despite it's flaws, I really enjoyed BfA. I liked the story, I liked the zones, I liked the dungeons and raids (even in LFR), hell I even enjoyed warfronts and Islands for a while. But my god, 8.3 has killed the little motivation to play that I had. I did the first week and haven't really played since and that's entirely down to corrupted gear making me unmotivated to do the content I want to do.

This isn't a rant about me quitting WoW or WoW is dying or anything, I'll be back for Shadowlands, but it's funny how one system can completely destroy my enjoyment of a game because it's just so bad.
    Great post, and I am very similar. Been playing since the beginning, and I liked BfA didn't hate it, but 8.3 is just killing this once great game for me, and will wait for Shadowlands. The grind for the cloak upgrades, horrific vision stuff, doing the Assaults / Invasions is just so tedious and bad. and then the crazy Corruption gear just sucks.

RNG on;

- Item drop
    - being Corrupted
    - Type of Corruption
    - Rank of Corruption

And of course;

- Socket
    - Tertiary stat

It's so much worse than Titanforging... those bastards at Blizz should give the players some leeway to helping control some of that RNG... such as storing and transferring corruption from gear using MOTHER, seeing how she can cleanse gear of it.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-02-21 at 02:18 PM.

The whole RNG piece just needs to go away from the game.

They removed titanforging (which is great), but added an even worse situation, where you get double RNG (corruption kind + corruption level).

And then, they also tied corruption resistance to triple farm -> you farm invasions -> to farm visions -> to farm upgrade for your cloak. Which would allow you to more effectively farm corrupted items.

And, don't get me wrong: the idea of corruption is pretty interesting. I like the whole positive/negative balance. But the execution is just very, very, very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    I hope this doesn't carry anywhere further but N'Zoth. Corruptions should've stayed in internal beta server without ever seeing a daylight.
    Hi, let me welcome you to a few month's ago before 8.3 even rolled out and we knew that Corruption was an 8.3-specific system. 9.0 will end it.

I think the idea its self is nice, its a good concept. It may well be the worst execution of an idea ever in wow however

The only thing about corruption that currently bothers me is heart of darkness and cloak upgrades. The 25 corruption requirement should be changed to just having a corrupted piece equipped... my best corruption setup had me on 30 at the start of the week and after the upgrade i drop to 23 making it so i either lose heart of darkness or go above 40 which isn't happening in mythic progression.

People in general like RNG, that's why we have pure luck based games, like lotteries. Even though the average person will knowingly lose money on it, especially compared to just spend the time working more, people are allured by the concept of getting a big prize from doing nothing, and the thrill of the unknown outcome. Maybe it has something to do with our brain, like laziness combined with greed, impatience and positive thinking. You can't take that away from WoW, or it will become like a job. "You make x amount of gold to do content y, and you save up to buy gear from a vendor". Reward is certain, but only in small, slow steps. It doesn't work for everyone not 100% committed to the game.
    Mother pus bucket!

it is fun in m15's seeing hmm that guy just popped his Cd's on the pack did big aoe damage, how did he have damage for the next pack, OH 33% twilight devastation he skillfully procced his corruption rng lul.