Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What exactly is the difference between Bfa-style MMO and Diablo 3-style ARPG?

Obviously WoW has raids and D3 doesn't. But beyond that, both have lots of repeatable solo play and small group content with progression systems. What really is the difference between them playstyle wise these days to you?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Obviously WoW has raids and D3 doesn't. But beyond that, both have lots of repeatable solo play and small group content with progression systems. What really is the difference between them playstyle wise these days to you?
    The difference is that WoW has forced multiplayer and timegating, whereas D3 doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    The difference is that WoW has forced multiplayer and timegating, whereas D3 doesn't.
    What timegating?
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

you don't technically have an endgoal in d3 so you can set your own easily and grind to it as hard as you want

BFA hard caps your grind

WoW has a very slow gameplay compared to D3. It's also significantly more programmed than D3.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    But does BfA *really* have timegating these days? You can be a fresh 120 and run m+ forever until you've got 465 gear all over the place, which would effectively put you ahead of 99% of the playerbase right now.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Diablo allows me to play as frequently or infrequently as I desire with zero interference from or need to keep up with other players.

In WoW i can do something other than greater rifts /thread.

i'd say the difference is one game was designed from the ground up with the ideas and systems in mind and the other had them shoved in. one is designed for tons of loot and scaling difficulty with other people and the other is setup to have set difficulty and class design to work around the difficulty. wow may have flexible raiding below mythic but blizz has shown time and again that fights are easier or harder with the amount of people. nzoth is a great example. if you try to use 20 people instead of 10, the fight becomes intensely harder.

basically, wow has had the diablo systems shoved into it and doesn't have the game design to support it because the devs have to support an mmo that wasn't originally designed and wasn't intended to have diablo loot. diablo works because the loot is meant to be interesting because it changes how you play and leaves many paths of playing. wow loot doesn't EVER have those game play changing items. it's just powerful passives which means it's just boring loot. throw in the the poor class design with many classes being boring to play and more skilled players don't have much room to work their skill and the game becomes really bland to play.

wow could probably support a diablo style loot system but it'd take much more effort than the team is willing to put in. it would need to be a legiondary type system where the legendaries drop much more often and actually have game play changing effects. if you look at prydaz against the newer necklace in diablo that increases damage. one is just a passive shield that does nothing and the other gives you risk versus reward where you take more damage but deal a ton more as well. i'd love to give a better gameplay changing example but for hunters, the legiondary that actually changed any gameplay was the voodoo mask that caused feign death to heal you so you could use it as a emergency self heal. literally every other affect is just flat damage increases. the closest is parsel's tongue which causes you to deal more damage the more times you cast cobra shot capping at 4 stacks but that doesn't change gameplay, it just makes me watch a timer to make sure i cast cobra shot at least once every 8 seconds. that could've been game play changing if it wasn't for the fact that cobra was a filler spell for bm and was used all the time so the only time the buff timed out was if you were stupid enough to focus starve yourself.

But does BfA *really* have timegating these days? You can be a fresh 120 and run m+ forever until you've got 465 gear all over the place, which would effectively put you ahead of 99% of the playerbase right now.
    hit be back up when I can run raids solo in WoW and get the best gear the game has to offer because they're not locked to weekly lockouts. Arpgs are a soloable experience with zero lockouts, you grind as much as you want, wow is still very much a group experience at the top level

Is this a troll or what ? What 's the difference between D3 and Minecraft ? There are enemies in both and you can craft in both and u can chose to play solo and as a group, let's just forget everything around it (open world tmog pvp etc etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    hit be back up when I can run raids solo in WoW and get the best gear the game has to offer because they're not locked to weekly lockouts. Arpgs are a soloable experience with zero lockouts, you grind as much as you want, wow is still very much a group experience at the top level
    Well, I did say in the OP to exclude raids from the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by monkaTOS View Post
    WoW is an MMO. Diablo 3 is an hack-and-slash action role-playing game.
    Well, to be fair WoW is pretty much just a hack-and-slash action MMO. There's pretty much zero character interaction other than combat. Nothing really impacts your character other than gear. Dialogue options are almost non-existent and none actually lead to any meaningful outcomes. WoW has never really had more depth in gameplay than Diablo. But yeah, it's an MMO and Diablo is not.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2020-02-22 at 06:42 AM.

Well, I did say in the OP to exclude raids from the discussion.
    You can't exclude raids, raids are the way to get the best gear in the game. Both games are, at their core, about gearing your character to make them more powerful.

You ask what's the difference? In Diablo I can reach that goal solo, in WoW I need a group, this separates the MMO from the Arpg.

They are extremely similar because Diablo 3 devs got shifted to the WoW team. Just look at world quests system a literal copy and paste along with the bounty (emissary) reward after finishing 4.

I mean, just look at the cloak, 1 upgrade a week after the first week when we really do have enough materials to have pushed it the 10 the second week instad of hitting rank 6 and stopping..

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Number of ability's, base class function, gear acquisition, content structure, world intractability, pvp, ect ect ect.

Diablo and wow are only similar in superficial ways and a few minor things like world quest being quite a bit like bounty’s but still having differences.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    They are extremely similar because Diablo 3 devs got shifted to the WoW team. Just look at world quests system a literal copy and paste along with the bounty (emissary) reward after finishing 4.
    Not quite a complete copy paste the diablo boxes are pure rng where the wow ones let you know what group of items/reward are in them. I also don’t think diablo bounty’s have rewards in of them selfs but I’m not sure on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Whixh is like 0.1%. of entire wow content which means its actualy more solo arpg game than mmorpg.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by monkaTOS View Post
    WoW is an MMO. Diablo 3 is an hack-and-slash action role-playing game.
    WoW is not mmo. It lacks almost evertthing what makes mmo mmo.

Consider getting a brand new character and deciding you wanted Worldvein Resonance. That comes from Island Expeditions... minimum three weeks to get what you need, assuming you're on top of making sure the requirements are met.

Or the Memory of Lucid Dream. Gated by follower exp in Nazjatar. There are ways to accelerate it, but the base gain is 300 exp per day starting from the time you unlock your Nazjatar followers. The nerfs mean you need 4800 follower exp, so if you don't get ahold of other items that's a baseline 16 days to get to rank 3.

Reputation essences are now easier, but ultimately still require you to build rep. Once you're past the initial questlines, you're left with world quests and contracts, and there are only so many quests you can do per day.

*shrug* There are other essences available, and not all of the reputation essences are very good, but there's still plenty of time gating.

Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Whixh is like 0.1%. of entire wow content which means its actualy more solo arpg game than mmorpg.

- - - Updated - - -

WoW is not mmo. It lacks almost evertthing what makes mmo mmo.
    .1%? Lol, hyperbole much, and yes, wow is an MMO, it's got everything needed to be an MMO.

MMO

"an online video game which can be played by a very large number of people simultaneously."