Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hakkar and the Jailer

So i've been thinking. With G'huun taking the "blood god" role of the trolls in BfA, what will Blizz do with Hakkar? They haven't forgotten about him, he was mentioned multiple times in BfA, as the reason the blood trolls existed in the first place, before they turned to G'huun.
    We also know that the Jailer has powerful "associates" in the shadowlands. The being who took Odyns eyes is confirmed to be one of them, Mueh'zala may very well be one of them (if he isnt the jailer himself).
    Now, with blood magic being an aspect of death magic, and Hakkars origins specifically unkown to the titans (some legendary in Legion had the text "The origins of the Soulflayer remain unknown. There are no mentions of him in any of the Titan records"), what if Blizz decides to make him another "associate" aka lackey of the Jailer?
    I personally definitely wouldnt like it. It would be similar to the old gods, and them being behind more than half of all the villains weve ever faced. Its boring when every bad guy is just a servant of/manipulated by BL/old gods/jailer. I think it woul be far better to let Hakkar be his own thing, with his own origin story and motivations.
    What do y'all think? Would you like Hakkar being associated with the Jailer or would you rather have him be his own thing?
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think he'll end being Bwonsamdi's boss or at least associate with The Other Side.

I could imagine him to be some kind of pest for the shadowlands. Assaulting souls, claiming them before they can be judged / afterwards. I would prefer him being his own thing as he doesnt look like someone who would accept orders from other

Last we saw we freed his ghost. If he shows up anywhere, Shadowlands is the place to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hakkar should've appeared in Zandalar, he shouldn't appear in the Shadowlands and especially not as Bwonsamdi's boss. Doesn't fit in my opinion

Quetz'lun shares Hakkar's model though and does have a pocket dimension of death
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

I thought G'huun was a false God and just worshipped by the Blood Trolls, and that Hakkar was the legitimate Blood God worshipped/feared by Amani and Darkspear trolls? That's how it makes sense to me, too much is being made about G'huun and Blood Trolls worshipping him. He was just an experiment that Blood Trolls started to worship, it doesn't change Hakkar's role. G'huun is as much a false Old God as he is a false Blood God.

I can defo see the plot of the Otherside being "Hakkar eating all my souls stop him".

Since his such as throwaway character in the grand scheme of things but still a loose end allying him with the jailer makes as much sense as anything else.

Do we actually know if they had plans for him in cataclysm that were cut? I mean they hyped is return in the 4.1 trailer a little much for being used in one fight.
    Last edited by Newname1234567890; 2020-02-28 at 05:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I thought G'huun was a false God and just worshipped by the Blood Trolls, and that Hakkar was the legitimate Blood God worshipped/feared by Amani and Darkspear trolls? That's how it makes sense to me, too much is being made about G'huun and Blood Trolls worshipping him. He was just an experiment that Blood Trolls started to worship, it doesn't change Hakkar's role. G'huun is as much a false Old God as he is a false Blood God.
    I had assumed Hakkar was just one of the first things G'huun corrupted ages ago. Just like what we saw with Hi'reek. Maybe Hakkar wasn't even into the whole blood stuff until G'huun started being an ahole.

I figured it went something like Sethralis dies to stop Mythraxx, the first seal is busted and Vol'dun becomes a desert --> missing one seal, G'huun's presence starts to seep out and corrupts Hakkar --> Hakkar does the blood plague thing that nearly wipes out Zandalar (King's Rest story) ---> Hakkar is defeated somehow or otherwise disappears ---> years pass --> Gurubashi summon Hakkar to Zul'gurub during Vanilla --> Hakkar is destroyed by adventurers and the Zandalari ---> Hakkar's ghost is freed during Cata and remains somewhere in the Shadowlands, all the while nobody has any idea G'huun is to originally blame, maybe not even Hakkar.

If that's the case, he doesn't have a boss now so that could be interesting if he remains evil.

Blood magic is an aspect of Life, not Death

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    Blood magic is an aspect of Life, not Death
    The Venthyr in the shadowlands seem to use blood magic, I don't think the life binders magic is similar

10+ Year Old Account
    Blood magic has been inconsistently fleshed out/described. I suppose Blizzard uses the trope of "blood magic" as more of a flavor than an actual force.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    The Venthyr in the shadowlands seem to use blood magic, I don't think the life binders magic is similar
    https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/608513789944684544

10+ Year Old Account
    Too bad we are getting another form of "anima" in Shadowlands. I was hoping to get a blood magic-themed class in the future with anima (the one shown in MoP) as a power/fuel source or resource.

Tortured Life sounds a LOT like Death.

Quote Originally Posted by Houle View Post
    Mueh'zala may very well be one of them (if he isnt the jailer himself).
    Isn't there a quote going around from blizzcon where someone asked about mueh'zala and they pretty much said "oh right, we forgot about him so, no"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    "Would it not be swell if Jaina non-canonically created frostmourne?"

What does that even mean? I mean, it would also be cool if Obama created the Frostmourne, non-canonically.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Malfurion and Sylvanas about to have the most baller game of Plants vs Zombies though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    Tortured Life sounds a LOT like Death.
    Not necessarily, as you can't torture something that is already dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Hakkar should've appeared in Zandalar, he shouldn't appear in the Shadowlands and especially not as Bwonsamdi's boss. Doesn't fit in my opinion

Quetz'lun shares Hakkar's model though and does have a pocket dimension of death
    Hakkar and the trolls will have their own add-on zone I am guessing as a major patch feature with a side raid where we will finally dispatch Hakkar for good.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its still not the same as lifrbinders which is like flame healing. Blood magic is portrayed as sucking life out of something, also.aka vampire. Makes sense tortured life.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why you linked that..tho

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Its still not the same as lifrbinders which is like flame healing. Blood magic is portrayed as sucking life out of something, also.aka vampire. Makes sense tortured life.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why you linked that..tho
    What does the flame of red dragons have to do with it? Why can't the magic of life work this way and that? Also in the War of the Ancient Krasus, he raised the goblin and said that he knows how to raise the corpse because he is a red dragon. Do you know what blood magic can do? That's right, create undead.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    What does the flame of red dragons have to do with it? Why can't the magic of life work this way and that? Also in the War of the Ancient Krasus, he raised the goblin and said that he knows how to raise the corpse because he is a red dragon. Do you know what blood magic can do? That's right, create undead.
    Thats the whole point? Idk what your on about, i just said the Venthyr are probably using it. Blood.magic that is.
    If you remember in icc, blood magic in the form of the san layn was a huge theme there. I think there is a connection to the venthyr for that matter. Blood magic.