Poll: How much is poor in your opinion? U.S Dollar

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Have you ever been poor and if so what was your worst experience being poor?

Some people say a lot of cute shit like there is a difference between being poor and broke, like this individuals really have every perspective to know that, what is worse, typically it's not even mostly true. So I ask. Meaning what was your moment that motivated you out or up. If you are still poor and there please share YOUR experience.

Have you ever been poor and if so what was your worst experience being poor?

For me it was a process, being a kid I had been on section 8, food-stamps (Not the EBT Card ) and visited food shelves with my mom, it got much easier when I got old enough to work, me and my sister who is 8 years my senior.

However as a teenager I was a bit of a moron, not having filled me with a hunger to get what I never had, and ultimately didn't know I didn't need or should have. My priorities were out of wack.

So, my Ah Ha, Moment came as a very young adult, I had a roommate a worked a good job, but over spent and was an idiot, this lead me to not having enough to cover what I should, so eventually I had to turn to pawn shops when I did.

Nothing to me was more degrading than having to take your stuff you over spent for down with your dignity to a pawn shop, stand in line, while imagining all the circumstances that brought all this other sad souls to this place where you stood in line, felt like shit, had your valuables not as valuable as you thought evaluated, at the same time felt they were evaluating you.

It was a soul crushing experience for me, but that was my Ah Ha moment. Silly Stupid whatever, that was the spark beginning in life the fuel was obviously my family.

Again so How about you, what is your experience?
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2020-02-25 at 12:58 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Went to college, no scholarships, only got a part time job paying $17k per year. Applied for low income housing, was rejected for what I perceived to be the color of my skin (no proof, but it was pretty obvious). Still paid off college within 3 years.

There's no excuse to being poor in most of the country. I feel really bad for those in megacities with astronomical rent. Everything else is possible.

Oh yeah, and I didn't have kids I couldn't support because I'm not an idiot.

Being poor in Sweden is very different from being poor in the US. And it's again very different from being poor in Kenya.

So, I chose the Needs option. And I consider healthcare, a need.

Once upon a time...

The infamous Oasis Motel where they charged by the hour...(prostitution)

Worst experience was the thought after high school that I was probably going to share the same fate as most being born in such conditions..and I knew I could never go to college.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at the poll options provided by OP, he lives in a fantasy world. 70% of the US population has an annual income of <$50k.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I grew up in a very poor migrant farm workers family. Going without food for a couple days, sleeping on straw in a barn, having rats run across your feet at night, was some of the worse parts.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    In the transition from my past field to the current one I was working a part time retail job. The worst experience -- people literally telling me that I needed a better job when they'd disagree with how I helped them at the store. Ya know because being a tradesman the 2008 Recession was totally my fault.

The second not so much about being poor but being stuck between moving companies where I have a broken toe, but no insurance since the new job requires 90 days of employment before they insure you.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I grew up somewhat poor. My parents made about 35K combined raising 4 kids. All shopping was done at thrift stores. Everything we ate was bought in bulk. We would go out to eat once or maybe twice a year. But my parents were also too proud to allow us to be on the "free lunch" list in school. They did a great job making us feel like we were not poor by having our vacations places that were super cheap or free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Once upon a time...

Worst experience was the thought after high school that I was probably going to share the same fate as most being born in such conditions..and I knew I could never go to college.
    Yep getting a weekly rate at one of the hourly hotels, been there, the one where I lived wasn't too bad, but the owners stopped caring a while ago

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    Looking at the poll options provided by OP, he lives in a fantasy world. 70% of the US population has an annual income of <$50k.
    No not really 50k is having everything you need and some things you want, without having some things you want a person is just surviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yep getting a weekly rate at one of the hourly hotels, been there, the one where I lived wasn't too bad, but the owners stopped caring a while ago

- - - Updated - - -

No not really 50k is having everything you need and some things you want, without having some things you want a person is just surviving.
    That really depends on where you live. 50k can do a lot in some places, very little in others.
    Looking for <Good Quotes for Signature>.

50k is a pretty arbitrary number, and goes way further in some places than others. 50k where I live now won't even get you a roof over your head.

Historically... yeah.. basically dumpster diving for toys as a kid, having a house we were living in foreclosed, bankruptcies, running out of heating oil mid-winter with no money to fill the tank, tons of low paying jobs, etc. I've managed to remain one step above homeless, but definitely know what "American" poor feels like.

Worst experience was being homeless. Now I’m living with my parents while returning to college so that I’m not broke in the future.

Yup, my family during my teenage years was very poor. Drove Junked cars I bought at auctions, delivered pizza and put myself through college. It's Part of the reason why I am hard on lazy POS who cry about the position they are in without doing something about it. I have scraped change out of couch cushions just to get something to eat, lived in a rural area without city water. I had a drive way I had to park on top of the hill to get out of when it snowed. it fucking sucked.

Never THAT poor.

When I was a kid I remember PC upgrades being one huge pain the ass. Calculations, PC salesman family friend selling parts without his profit margin, talking dad into it, etc. All games were pirated, of course, even the thought of buying an original game was ludicrous.

Now I'm sorta rich and don't give a shit about the PC parts money.

Wouldn't say poor but definitely low income during my childhood. Mother had a job (no clue to the salary) but raised me and my brother alone. She was an extreme penny pincher to keeping us fed and happy.

I've never really starved or anything so it probably doesn't count as poor.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omerome View Post
    That really depends on where you live. 50k can do a lot in some places, very little in others.
    Very True, context is always important.

After my Divorce and subsequent loss of my job, I had to live in a borrowed tent in the woods on the side of the interstate. Lasted about 2 weeks until a policeman caught sight of the tent through the treeline. Then I upgraded to sleeping in a garage for a few months until I got things back on track. That was my horror story, I don't wish it on anyone.

Probably my worst story was being so broke before pay day that I literally had less than $5 in my bank account.... and I still was like 4 days out from getting my pay check. Anyways, I had to pack lunch for work and all I really had left was some old tv dinner. So I put it in a bag and go to my car, while taking out the trash at the same time. Without realizing it, I tossed the garbage in the dumpster but also tossed my lunch in there and it was at the very bottom of the dumpster so I had no way of actually reaching it. Thankfully I had a friend that offered to buy me lunch.

I burned all my bridges by 19, and was living in my car. Until the car no longer worked. Considering how my life went from 19 to 23, it's a miracle I'm not dead. No home, no job, no car, the poorest I ever was.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been pretty lucky and privileged. Poorest I have been was during college where I had to choose between beer or decent food. Therefore I bought the beer and lived off Ramen and Pork & Beans.