Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It's a shame when people don't want to hold government accountable for its actions. This is a textbook example of fake conservatives supporting authoritarianism.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's a shame when people don't want to hold government accountable for its actions. This is a textbook example of fake conservatives supporting authoritarianism.
    Had this had been a US citizen or someone with a legal visa on american soil i could see your point but this is not the case. This is a border security matter with 2 conflicting stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    So if this were the other way around can we sue the mexican government? This is not about whether or not what he did was a crime. It doesnt say you cant sue the man personally all it says is anyone from outside of this country cannot sue our government as liable. How is this any different from what would happen if it were the other way around? You could try to sue the mexican government in their country bit it would go no where.
    But you can sue the government of another country if you are not in it, Americans families can file wrongful death lawsuits against other governments.

- - - Updated - - -

Had this had been a US citizen or someone with a legal visa on american soil i could see your point but this is not the case. This is a border security matter with 2 conflicting stories.
    Once someone is on US soil and in government custody they have rights because we are their ward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    This lines up with all the cases of US servicemen killing people abroad only to be spirited home and given slaps on the wrist or not even that. It's a strongly worded message of "Fuck you, we can do whatever".
    until mexico pisses off the us enough with the cartels atrocities and they roll in with their military under the pretext of the gangs being a national security threat and go "no fuck you". 9/11 proved that given a tragedy big enough we will go to war against an entire country for harboring terrorists. which is what the cartels are and we have the firepower to back it up. given the trump administration is in power currently i could imagine trump declaring martial law rounding up suspected gang members and either just throwing them in prison/camps whatever or just disposing of them if you will.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2020-02-26 at 02:52 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Yeah, so it's all about brown people not having legal redress... got it. if they are subject to our laws, then that falls under the United States Constitution, including their civil rights.

This was the American government killing a man. If they were wrong, then the American government should be held responsible. It's a shame people love authoritarianism so damned much.

Yeah, so it's all about brown people not having legal redress... got it. if they are subject to our laws, then that falls under the United States Constitution, including their civil rights.

This was the American government killing a man. If they were wrong, then the American government should be held responsible. It's a shame people love authoritarianism so damned much.
    People seem confused honestly like they think rights don’t exist when you’re a foreign person. As if an American can’t sue say a federal enforcement arm of a government if they visit and they violate their rights according to their own laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    People seem confused honestly like they think rights don’t exist when you’re a foreign person. As if an American can’t sue say a federal enforcement arm of a government if they visit and they violate their rights according to their own laws.
    It's not that they are confused, they just don't happen to want foreigners to have civil rights.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not that they are confused, they just don't happen to want foreigners to have civil rights.
    Which conservatives on the SCOTUS, DOJ, White House, Senate, and HoR, all agree to. Conservatism has always been a cancer on this country's pursuit of freedom and equality under the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Which conservatives on the SCOTUS, DOJ, White House, Senate, and HoR, all agree to. Conservatism has always been a cancer on this country's pursuit of freedom and equality under the law.
    I wouldn't say genuine conservatism is a cancer, merely the most common forms of it, since the empowerment of neo-conservatism, the evangelicals, and whatever brand of crazy the Trumpsters claim to be.

This is disgusting.
    There is nothing else to say, really... just this is the most disgusting thing I read this week
    (that I did not write "year" here is not a positive argument for this case but a negative for all the other shit that happens)

Are you surprised by this? His wife Ginni Thomas is supposedly leading the charge to name and single out all those who are not "loyal" to Trump in the Federal Government. To help remove all those who won't do everything Trump says.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...box=1582544341

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://lawandcrime.com/legal-analys...ts-violations/

Clarence Thomas is making the argument for an unaccountable federal law enforcement system, with citizens unable to sue for redress should their civil rights, and 4th Amendment rights, be violated.

Want to know why everyone keeps saying conservatives want an authoritarian, centralized government with an extremely strong and largely unaccountable executive?

Because of shit like this. Because conservatives in the US aren't hiding this anymore and are being much more open about their anti-Democratic views that place those in power above the citizens of the US.

This is what spending the last 50 years politicizing and reshaping the SCOTUS has done for this country. Thanks, Nixon and Republicans for kicking this off and keeping it going.
    This tendency is not new - police forces around the country have seen draconian laws put into place preventing citizenry from suing when their civil rights are violated. In some cases, even when they are injured/killed when police arrive at the wrong house for a no-knock violent offender warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Has there ever been a more useless piece of shit wasting space on the Court? The asshole rarely speaks or asks questions in session, did not recuse himself fro Citizens United despite his wife having being heavily involved in it, was clearly an Affirmative Action nomination, totally wants other minority's to pull themselves up by the bootstraps.
    To be fair, with the current, heavily politicized nature of the SC, he isn't useless at all. In fact, he simply fulfills his function of voting the way the his backers want. Not talking much, sounding smart and acting along party lines is probably exactly what they want him to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    To be fair, with the current, heavily politicized nature of the SC, he isn't useless at all. In fact, he simply fulfills his function of voting the way the his backers want. Not talking much, sounding smart and acting along party lines is probably exactly what they want him to do.
    He's never sounded smart and has offered nothing except be a party line vote. I'm not saying that. We know the conservative judges are all that but at least the others seemed to act like they were interested in doing their jobs.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...et-neutrality/

Clarence Thomas regrets ruling that Ajit Pai used to kill net neutrality
    And now he regrets his Brand X decision.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say genuine conservatism is a cancer, merely the most common forms of it, since the empowerment of neo-conservatism, the evangelicals, and whatever brand of crazy the Trumpsters claim to be.
    Bro, it's conservatism. If less than 9% of conservatives don't approve of the president and congress right now, it means you are something else than a conservative.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

This is a steaming pile of shit. If border patrol is being truthful and he was trying to cross illegally, the answer is not to shoot him, especially since he was already back on Mexican soil. And if the family is right and he was just playing a game and happened to be near the border then the guy who shot him should be buried under the prison.
    What have the years of your life taught you to be?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Bro, it's conservatism. If less than 9% of conservatives don't approve of the president and congress right now, it means you are something else than a conservative.
    Well, genuine conservatism has largely died. Trumpsters are nothing close to being conservatives.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    I'm not saying it's okay but I don't think suing the government should be a choice when it's an international affair.
    Being able to sue a government is really something that can be done because said government allows it as a show of good faith and being willing to take responsibility for the actions of those under it's employ. It's one of the ways that we can say "No, we do not condone such actions". It's not the only way, punishing the responsible party ourselves would be another, but if we do nothing at all then it says that we DO condone such things.

Which is bad for many ethical reasons, but also on a practical note because it impacts the safety of US citizens abroad. If we condone the murder of foreign citizens, then we can't expect foreign countries to go out of their way to protect us in return.

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    I'm not saying it's okay but I don't think suing the government should be a choice when it's an international affair.
    That should be for the courts to decide, and everyone, including non-citizens have that right. Otherwise we would basically be the same as Russia or North Korea.