Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    That not how development works. Shadowlands may be deep into development but that doesn't mean they can't still add people to the project.

As for what this mean I honestly think it is a good thing. I really feel like Blizzard is in rebuilding mode right now and needs some fresh talent. Be it for WoW or their other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    why u think they have brain to make good games anymore? what part of BFA made u think so ? the amazing cinematics that has nothing with game just publicity and nice 'commercials' ?
    didn't activision fire 8% of their staff last year in their 'record profit' year to increase the already most overpayed american ceo in video game industry ever by a whole 10%, not to mention just hire a new CFO for a f8cking joke of 15 million usd
    So yeah a company like activision is so idiot that they can hire ppl now to get shadowlands at least manageable by deadline to get as much profit from as least cost as possible

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Players: Devs suck. They need new ones.
    Blizzard try to hire new ones.
    Players:OMG Blizzard is in trouble.
    'funny' it depends on timing in case u missed literally the first post
    if they hire new ppl after shadowlands is out, they improving
    if they hire new ppl in this critical time (where 100% of their resources is to get shadowlands done asap) then yes they f8cked up big time
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    I dunno what to say to someone who doesn't raise an eyebrow when it comes to hiring his volume of people. Especially having in mind the quality of their products as of late.

I hope Blizzard sees this though, bro.
    has nothing to do with me raising eyebrows at blizzard for the shit they pull. You are outright saying the game is going to be terrible and them hiring a few members to a gigantic dev team is proof of that. There is litteraly no correlations to them hiring people and it being proof shadowlands is going to suck. You don't even know what part of the game they are going to work on, might be 10, future SL patches or other shit

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkej View Post
    Is there a merge for Classic and Retail upcoming? Is the timetraveling in Shadowlands opening up later on in patches and we will see a full merge and zone picking like we will have 1-50?

Lol what??

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    has nothing to do with me raising eyebrows at blizzard for the shit they pull. You are outright saying the game is going to be terrible and them hiring a few members to a gigantic dev team is proof of that. There is litteraly no correlations to them hiring people and it being proof shadowlands is going to suck. You don't even know what part of the game they are going to work on, might be 10, future SL patches or other shit
    I suggest you re-read what I said then. Or don't, it won't really matter to me either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    I suggest you re-read what I said then. Or don't, it won't really matter to me either way.
    I might have jumped the gun there. And thats my bad. In my defence, i've had a avastin injection in the eye today

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    I might have jumped the gun there. And thats my bad. In my defence, i've had a avastin injection in the eye today
    It's cool, man. Here's to a quick recovery.

Just cause everyone thinks that Blizz is going into the shitter doesn't mean every little thing is damage control. This post is basically grasping for straws.

The people on this forum and their understanding of business and development.

For Shadowlands, at this stage they're probably evaluating which features make it in and which features are cut out. Almost everything regarding the content is already decided at this point.

As for hirings, they're mostly looking for sr devs, boohoo, what software development company isn't? And there can be multiple reasons besides quitting or getting fired, such as promotions and team transfers and another important thing, fresh ideas. They are for future WoW projects, even if they get 30 devs hired tomorrow, it will take time to integrate them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZaer View Post
    So you've really had people contribute that much in the first month?
    Yes, I have, many times.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZaer View Post
    I sincerely doubt you've worked in any software of decent complexity -- there's just too much business knowledge in almost any case to ramp up in 30 days unless they're doing extremely simple things.
    I sincerely doubt you've worked on any talented teams if you haven't experienced it regularly.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2020-03-02 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Except they havent fired devs in a very long time, and these are devs.
    they fired 137 staff, none of them devs. 11 of them QA.
    and their reason was "uneeded roles, we plan to hire more devs" which they have been, and well continue to do obviously.
    They've definitely laid off or fired devs. They just have to announce sizeable layoffs to their shareholders, which hasn't happened for devs. Also, the jobs they let go, they started hiring for a month later. A lot of them are QA jobs and considering 8.3's launch, they were needed jobs.

Not sure if you've ever worked at a large fortune 500 company, but office politics and budgets risk jobs all the time. Seniority in tech means little in this day and age.

Imagine a multi million(probably billion) company where losing employees and hiring new ones dont happen.

Source

https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/o...raft/all/all/1

They are hiring in several KEYPOSITIONS right now and It made me quite qurious whats going on.
    Why does WoW-Classic need a Senior and regular Software Engineer for? That shit's been done for almost two decades...

I mean, even if they're making BC Servers next - why the hell do you need these engineers for at this point? =/

Is there a merge for Classic and Retail upcoming? Is the timetraveling in Shadowlands opening up later on in patches and we will see a full merge and zone picking like we will have 1-50?

Brand new type of game?
    ...gah?

Are you fitting some weird fandream here into this post or something? ;P

If WC3: Reforged is any indication which way Blizzard is going (hint: not up).

Source

https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/o...raft/all/all/1

They are hiring in several KEYPOSITIONS right now and It made me quite qurious whats going on.

Brand new type of game?
    Maybe prepping for the patch cycle they want to stick to?
    I'm a thread killer.

It would appear, and logically so, that pretty much everyone who has commented in this thread does not work in an ITLT position and/or has little to no understanding of how project teams work in an IT industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    You realize that the vast majority of the Shadowlands work is either already done or largely complete, right?

They work on more than 1 expansion at a time my dude.
    No it is not. Shadowlands is super behind with development.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    No it is not. Shadowlands is super behind with development.
    We know this is true because your Uncle Who Works At Nintendo is an infallible source of Blizzard insider infor

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    We know this is true because your Uncle Who Works At Nintendo is an infallible source of Blizzard insider infor
    Maybe you should read articles with reliable sources + fact they cancelled 8.3.5. We have some info about Shadowlands being behind with development while you have 0 info its not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tident View Post
    Blizzard has sadly become a bit of a revolving door studio. They pay less then the industry standard for most positions. I imagine they are always hiring.
    This is probably about the sum of it. They used to 'get away with' paying below industry standard because of the company culture and being Blizzard, but with rising housing costs across the US (being especially bad in CA in general by all accounts) and what seems to be Blizzard's company culture becoming more corporate in nature, paying below industry standard isn't really worth it unless you're at a certain pay grade in the company. Couple this with the AAA industry's ongoing problems with handling crunch time, my money's on burnout hitting Blizzard just as hard as it's hitting other AAA devs.

So yeah, this is about business as usual in today's corporate climate. The working world is a meat grinder if your business isn't run by people who're good at time and project management.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!