teh comment section

"Space Karen wants to speak to the manager about the force!"

"Careful Disney. You might choke on your aspirations"

"Never have more wanted to join the Sith than after watching this video."

“For control of the Force itself” -That's not how the force works
    "The only "control" a Jedi would be interested in is self-control."

Star Wars: The High Republic | Launch Trailer

stream event, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uILPgvzj708

Myself, I find these jedi have child-like smugness that reeks of ignorance..
    the line "our order was meant to shine its light into the darkest corner of the galaxy" uh...that sounds like propaganda for an expansionist government, not the jedi order...I mean, that line would be something Palpatine's empire would use..
    Did you watch the prequels? The Jedi were smug and full of themselves. This is about 200 years before, they got that attitude from somewhere.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    the line "our order was meant to shine its light into the darkest corner of the galaxy" uh...that sounds like propaganda for an expansionist government, not the jedi order...I mean, that line would be something Palpatine's empire would use.
    Being incredibly smug is pretty much a defining Jedi trait and has been for years and years.

And ya they should have propaganda the jedi order is literally a cult and has been since the old republic unless they change something drastically with the high republic.

Can we agree the name is awful?

Quote Originally Posted by Gratz View Post
    Can we agree the name is awful?
    Reason why they called it "HIGH" republic

the line "our order was meant to shine its light into the darkest corner of the galaxy" uh...that sounds like propaganda for an expansionist government, not the jedi order...I mean, that line would be something Palpatine's empire would use..
    Are you kidding me? That was literally one of the themes in the prequels. The Jedi had long since become so arrogant and complacent that they failed to see their most dangerous foe festering right in their midst.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Are you kidding me? That was literally one of the themes in the prequels. The Jedi had long since become so arrogant and complacent that they failed to see their most dangerous foe festering right in their midst.
    Look at the cover again, did any Jedi make such a teen face?..there are different kinds of arrogance, those displayed by kids/teens who are ignorant of the world seems to creep into comics a lot.. one would think the people behind the new 'new warriors' and snowflake n safe space were behind these sw comics (maybe they are)

Look like villains, sociopaths, complete lack of empathy, narcissistic personality
    Point is, their character traits are on full display for the world to see, that is being ignorant of what message that sends n its repercussions. I don't remember Mace Windu looking like some annoying edgelord in the prequels...or any other jedi..

I don't know what creature casts its shadow for the comic cover of "the monster of temple peak" but I get the feeling it's the hero trying to save that bat guy from the evil jedi douche..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-01-06 at 03:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at the cover again, did any Jedi make such a teen face?..there are different kinds of arrogance, those displayed by kids/teens who are ignorant of the world seems to creep into comics a lot.. one would think the people behind the new 'new warriors' and snowflake n safe space were behind these sw comics (maybe they are)

[IMG]https://terrigen-cdn-dev.marvel.com/content/prod/1x/newwarriors2020newkids-b-negative.jpg[/IG]
    [IMG]https://i0.wp.com/www.comicsbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Teen-Justice.jpg?fit=1200%2C650&ssl=1[/I0G]
    The only canon SW book Ive read right now is From a Certain Point of View (have to jump into the Thrawn trilogy soon), it doesn't follow any safe space tropes. Can't speak for the other books, but then again a lot of the books are aimed at young readers. The comic certainly aren't though and I don't see why Disney would suddenly shift tone when the comics are praised. Espcially when they are bringing over the same writers and artists.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account

Look like villains, sociopaths, complete lack of empathy, narcissistic personality
    Point is, their character traits are on full display for the world to see, that is being ignorant of what message that sends n its repercussions. I don't remember Mace Windu looking like some annoying edgelord in the prequels...or any other jedi..

I don't know what creature casts its shadow for the comic cover of "the monster of temple peak" but I get the feeling it's the hero trying to save that bat guy from the evil jedi douche..
    You’ve never read a Starwars comic have you? This is a incredibly common expression for generic determined jedi or really any other comic character.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/st...20090923124430

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/st...20131017224711

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.ne...00/1169799.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The only canon SW book Ive read right now is From a Certain Point of View (have to jump into the Thrawn trilogy soon), it doesn't follow any safe space tropes. Can't speak for the other books, but then again a lot of the books are aimed at young readers. The comic certainly aren't though and I don't see why Disney would suddenly shift tone when the comics are praised. Espcially when they are bringing over the same writers and artists.
    The only real “safe space trope” that could be counted in the Starwars comics is LGBT characters existing but given how much EU content there is I doudt that’s a new shift.

Technically, The Phantom Menace already showed us the golden age of the Jedi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just started light of the jedi, I'll be back
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

No movies? Just books and comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Technically, The Phantom Menace already showed us the golden age of the Jedi.
    That was more like twilight age or something, the last throes of a Republic that was corrupt and over-bureaucratized, and a Jedi Order in full-on decadence and total complacency. It was lifted up by some very heroic characters, but overall there were HUGE systemic problems at work. Remember the archivist in Episode II who stubbornly insisted the Jedi archives could not possibly be missing a planet? That's the attitude of a Jedi Order so self-assured it verges on arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Did you watch the prequels? The Jedi were smug and full of themselves. This is about 200 years before, they got that attitude from somewhere.
    Part of the point of the prequels was the Jedi had become too much, too powerful, and too influential. They lost sight of what it meant to be Jedi and were just unduly influencing the galaxy as a political institution by this point. Although the Old Republic and such stretch back thousands of years, I think the seeds of the Jedi becoming internally corrupted could be sewn in a few hundred years. I doubt this series will ever be that sophisticated.

Getting that vibe that this whole era they are designing with the High Republic is going to worry more about what sexual organs characters have than making a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Part of the point of the prequels was the Jedi had become too much, too powerful, and too influential. They lost sight of what it meant to be Jedi and were just unduly influencing the galaxy as a political institution by this point. Although the Old Republic and such stretch back thousands of years, I think the seeds of the Jedi becoming internally corrupted could be sewn in a few hundred years. I doubt this series will ever be that sophisticated.
    I don't think that was ever the case with the Jedi... EVER! - maybe from Sith propaganda or twisted view. But then your statement is very subjective.. "too much"?... " unduly influencing the galaxy"?.. . "too influential"?... I disagree

- - - Updated - - -

The high republic, sounds and looks terrible. I craved for a golden age star wars era with cool grpahics, cinematics, technology and powerful force users, but this reallyseems lame.

Seriously, is the Old Republic going to be the last time Star Wars felt decent?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm just really, really uninterested in everything so far. There's no edge to any of it, it just feels... bland. Aesthetically uninspired.

And blatantly pandering. I say that as a hardcore progressive who absolutely hates all these anti-SJW YT channels constantly harping on Disney and Marvel. This feels like the same shallow, out-of-touch representation that Marvel Comics was trying with the New New Mutants. It feels utterly insincere.

Some of the art is also really bad. But then I'm consistently taken aback by how a property like Star Wars consistently has some of the cheapest, ugliest comics out there.

I'll see how things pan out, I'm lightly interested in some aspects (Yoda and maybe the Sith Acolyte) but it doesn't help that most of the brand so far is comprised of Scholastic print media aimed squarely at adolescents and young teens.

Fingers crossed Disney actually pays these authors their royalties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks silly to me...fat Jedi is rather contradictory to the minimalism and physical activity that the Jedi have done since their inception

Useless extra pieces on lightsabers that are bound to get destroyed in combat if there was any realistic combat

Stabbing a tree with a lightsaber to completely stop falling? A plasma blade that cuts through pretty much everything...

People writing this don't know anything about Star Wars

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Looks silly to me...fat Jedi is rather contradictory to the minimalism and physical activity that the Jedi have done since their inception

Useless extra pieces on lightsabers that are bound to get destroyed in combat if there was any realistic combat

Stabbing a tree with a lightsaber to completely stop falling? A plasma blade that cuts through pretty much everything...

People writing this don't know anything about Star Wars
    where was there a fat jedi? Do you mean the lizard man?

also useless extra pieces on lightsabers is pretty common for EU comics.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    I don't think that was ever the case with the Jedi... EVER! - maybe from Sith propaganda or twisted view. But then your statement is very subjective.. "too much"?... " unduly influencing the galaxy"?.. . "too influential"?... I disagree

- - - Updated - - -

The high republic, sounds and looks terrible. I craved for a golden age star wars era with cool grpahics, cinematics, technology and powerful force users, but this reallyseems lame.

Seriously, is the Old Republic going to be the last time Star Wars felt decent?

You idolise the franchise too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    where was there a fat jedi? Do you mean the lizard man?

also useless extra pieces on lightsabers is pretty common for EU comics.

It doesn't matter what the old EU comics did. If something is silly, it is, be it LucasArts EU or LucasArts Disney conception.

And, given the sheer magnitude of the Disney, i (and probably others) expected MUCH more than rehashing stuff (yeah, that shot goes for the Sequel Trilogy as well)
    Last edited by Fabinas; 2021-01-08 at 03:49 AM.
    /spit@Blizzard