Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Who or what is Maldraxxus at war with ?

I'm unable to post link in a first post but here's what peaked my curiosity :

imgur.com/xiSoGCy

youtu.be/-Q67Upjq7H8?t=438

It represents the heart of the Shadowlands' military might. The souls here defend Shadowlands from external forces and wage war on the enemies of death
    Then there's this :

There are those who believe mortal souls are drawn into this dark place when they die, remaining there forever. Others hope their souls will go on to a brighter place rather than languish for eternity within the cold confines of the Shadowlands
    Is Shadowlands Hell ? They don't say the the cold confines of some specific Shadowlands zone but the whole area... where else other than Shadowlands can souls go ? I think 9.1-9.3 will introduce new zones that will be the opposite of Shadowlands, the Heaven that most dream of.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomButLee View Post

imgur.com/xiSoGCy

Then there's this :

Is Shadowlands Hell ? They don't say the the cold confines of some specific Shadowlands zone but the whole area... where else other than Shadowlands can souls go ? I think 9.1-9.3 will introduce new zones that will be the opposite of Shadowlands, the Heaven that most dream of.
    I dont think we know yet, but the maw is the place the other covenants have trouble with as well so it might have to do with that in some way. Also bwonsamdi has hes own pocket dimension.. who knows who else has one.

10+ Year Old Account

imgur.com/xiSoGCy

Then there's this :

The shadowlands isn't the only afterlife, there are other afterlifes like the the light where Crusader Bridenbrad went to and the void if you where one of the unfortunate souls to fall victim to (or victim to Umbric's musings). There are probably pocket dimensions as well like Helya's domain or Bwonsamdi's piece of the afterlife, or Odyn's Hall of Valor. I imagine Maldraxxus is there to kick anyone's ass that interfere with the order and cycle of death, maybe they are combating the forces of the Maw who seem to be stealing most if not all the souls who enter.

I wonder what was done in order for someone like the lich king to made? Especially if they manage to make a being and integrate him among the cycle of life and death in Azeroth's order.
    Last edited by Dellis0991; 2020-02-26 at 03:59 PM.

Maldraxxus is the Shadowlands' standing army. They don't have to be at war with anybody for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Maldraxxus is the Shadowlands' standing army. They don't have to be at war with anybody for that.
    True.....I guess events as of late finally gave them a serious purpose now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

How that happened?

They are at war with the Jailer, Sylvanas, and their forces, since they threaten the very balance of the Shadowlands with their actions.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Necrolords probably defend the Shadowlands from whatever interdimentional shit that may threat it. Those could be:

-Ethereals;
    -Demons and Legion Demons (especially Dreadlords under the Deceiver's command);
    -Voidthings trying to eat souls;
    -Lightstuffs trying to convert souls;

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    I know it would make some people go Reeeeeee but I kind of want to see a Void vs Light expansion where the two factions are refered to as Voidthings and Lightstuffs in game.

As for pocket dimensions, Bwonsamdi has one for sure, but we also know Helya has one, we went there.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    The Necrolords probably defend the Shadowlands from whatever interdimentional shit that may threat it. Those could be:

-Ethereals;
    -Demons and Legion Demons (especially Dreadlords under the Deceiver's command);

etc.
    Fun fact, we’ve also seen “lightstuffs” eat souls too. The naaru in Oshu’gun was consuming souls to get all patched up again.

Isn't Bastion the closest thing to "heaven" in Shadowlands? They're blue angel people. Then Ardenweald seems like the night elf/animal heaven. Venthyr and Revendreth are like purgatory and The Maw is like the pit of no return (hell)? That's how I make sense of it, we have so little info on it which is why the preview at Blizzcon was so heavily criticized.

I like your idea of revealing new zones of the afterlife in content patches, though. Maybe we'll see a legit paradise Sylvanas and The Jailer are trying to takeover, and where Orcs (the good ones) go when they die.

Im assuming shadowlands is a limbo between the living and the afterlife

I'd imagine darn near everybody with enough power to tap into the powers of anima wants to steal a slice of that pie. We've seen how many are just putzing around Azeroth alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

7+ Year Old Account

imgur.com/xiSoGCy

Then there's this :

My theory is so.

The maw is this "hyper hell' place, that only the worst of the worst get sent to, however recently death has broken, and all lives are being sent there.
    Those who have been sent to specific realms cannot go to other realms, why its so special us player charecters can, cause we have a titan connection.
    so with this my theroy is maldraxus is the closest realm to the maw, and souls flooding from the broken maw either have to go through, or its just the closest. and with this they have issues. as the maw seems to be able to bleed into the other realms. spitting out bad shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fathom81 View Post
    Im assuming shadowlands is a limbo between the living and the afterlife
    The shadowlands is the afterlife. The limbo is when you are being judged by the arbiter.
    Depending on how you are judged, put to a specific realm.

connected to nature? Ardenweld
    You did good? bastion
    You were bad, but still redeemable? revendreth, or maldraxus. (Revendreth the more extreme of the two, maldraxus seems more of a "You were not good, but you wernt evil, you were just a dick"
    the maw is for people who cannot be redeemed at all. Which i cant think of too many people that would go here, maybe garrosh. but other then that, idk.
    like arthas i could see in revendreth or maldraxus.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

The thing about Maldraxxus I'd like to know as well, but if the story so far is anything to go by, then the primal forces are at war with each other and the order the cosmos was given is the only thing that makes reality inhabitable for beings that don't belong to one of those forces exclusively. The often cited balance between these forces being said order. By primal forces I mean Light, Shadow, Death, Life, Order and Chaos. If any one of those wins completely and takes the others out, the cosmos ceases to exist.

My theory is that in the meantime they are all locked in eternal combat and reality is protected by several safeguards and guardians.
    By that I mean for example 'Death' isn't simply Death, but it is confined to the Shadowlands and kept away from reality by a veil that keeps those realms separate. Same would in my theory then be true for reality and the mortal plane and every other primal plane. The primal planes are ordered in a way that keeps the most primal force in check so it can't simply take over. In the case of the Jailer that'd be him being chained and confined to the passage towards the primal plane of death (which lies behind the Maw), which like pure void exists only outside reality and the cosmos. (Because for the cosmos to exist none of the primal forces may exist there in a pure form, only in balance with each other.)

So 'reality', including the Shadowlands, is a plane that exists because there's balance. Some of those realms are connected to the pure primal planes and thus have an abundance of their guiding primal force, thus they must be separated from the mortal realm by a veil. Those realms are kind of a buffer between the mortal plane and the primal planes themselves. Still within reality, but with the 'balance' slightly skewed towards the side of their connecting primal plane and as such separated from the mortal plane by a 'veil'.

As for the cold confines of the Shadowlands, I guess that is what someone would say if he/she is looking in from the outside (from the mortal plane) like in the case of Odyn, who was reaaaaally scared when he looked there, even though he seemingly looked at Bastion. And maybe that small glimpse he got there was overshadowed, because he made a deal with a messenger from the Jailer while looking.
    Also, the Shadowlands consist of infinite realms, so there may be a lot more that are bright and happy and also a lot more that are cold and cruel. We are only seeing some examples while we are there.
    Maybe to some people after first crossing over everything looks cold and grey, because at that point the soul is being tested (by the Arbiter) to see where it ends up. If, like in the case of Bridenbrad for example, you are not being tested, but being taken to a bright and happy realm directly, you may see that bright realm at once, as you pass over. Sylvanas upon her first death (her 'mortal' death) also saw a bright realm, nothing cold or cruel.
    I think at Blizzcon they also said that it sometimes takes a short while to get to the Shadowlands for real, and for that time you are kind of 'in the funnel', which seems to be where souls are that can be directly resurrected or brought back by the spirit healers. And it could be that some souls don't find their way at all and are thus spirits or wraiths looking for the way over.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Isn't Bastion the closest thing to "heaven" in Shadowlands? They're blue angel people. Then Ardenweald seems like the night elf/animal heaven. Venthyr and Revendreth are like purgatory and The Maw is like the pit of no return (hell)? That's how I make sense of it, we have so little info on it which is why the preview at Blizzcon was so heavily criticized.

I like your idea of revealing new zones of the afterlife in content patches, though. Maybe we'll see a legit paradise Sylvanas and The Jailer are trying to takeover, and where Orcs (the good ones) go when they die.
    Look above ^^^
    i list their properties there.
    Revendreth is basically hell, maldraxsus "limbo" bastion heaven, Ardenweld if you are of nature (animal, or heavily connected) and are either good, or "not that bad" as in if you would have gone to maldraxsus, your nature connection would send you here instead.
    and the maw is mega hell.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

imgur.com/xiSoGCy

Then there's this :

isn't Bastion kind of Heaven like? but yeah it is curious as to what enemy they would be fighting......

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Look above ^^^
    i list their properties there.
    Revendreth is basically hell, maldraxsus "limbo" bastion heaven, Ardenweld if you are of nature (animal, or heavily connected) and are either good, or "not that bad" as in if you would have gone to maldraxsus, your nature connection would send you here instead.
    and the maw is mega hell.
    Makes sense.

Lol and "Mega" Hell made me laugh. Like it's ruled by the Super Devil.

The Super Devil is a creature that the Texans believe exist as a superior to Satan in "Boys Do Cry". He is at least six inches taller than Satan. ... Besides being six inches taller than Satan, he's also known for a flying motorcycle and carrying a jar of marmalade that forces people to commit adultery.

Shadowlands is heaven, hell and everything inbetween

I'd say they are the police of the Shadowlands. They make sure nobody tries to break the cycle of death. I'd also say that they prevent other astral plans to interfere into the Shadowlands (like protecting the lands from the void / light / fel / necromancy)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Makes sense.

Lol and "Mega" Hell made me laugh. Like it's ruled by the Super Devil.

The Super Devil is a creature that the Texans believe exist as a superior to Satan in "Boys Do Cry". He is at least six inches taller than Satan. ... Besides being six inches taller than Satan, he's also known for a flying motorcycle and carrying a jar of marmalade that forces people to commit adultery.

I was more referencing.

but yeah.