Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Republican walkout in Oregon Legislature (again) delays Umatilla flood aid

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...flood-aid.html

A political clash over a cap-and-trade proposal that prompted Oregon Republicans to walk out could tie up $12 million in Umatilla flood recovery funds introduced by Gov. Kate Brown last week.

The majority of House and Senate Republicans exited the 2020 legislative short session in protest of the contentious bill, stalling the legislative session and potentially waylaying a multitude of bills until the 2021 session.

The delay could have serious impacts in Umatilla County, which is still recovering from severe flooding in early February. Communities along the Umatilla River were thrown into turmoil Feb. 6 when rapid flooding consumed hundreds of homes, damaged businesses and infrastructure, and killed one woman.

The governor declared a state of emergency Feb. 7, freeing up some immediate state recovery funds for Umatilla, Wallowa and Union counties, but the area has yet to receive federal aid.

The proposed funding bill would funnel $11.65 million in funds to affected communities, including aid in much-needed housing recovery efforts. In light of the walkout, Brown facilitated a $1.8 million loan from Business Oregon to the city of Pendleton to offset costly levee repairs needed after the flood -- the only relief money that can be fast-tracked.

“This levee funding is a stopgap measure to make sure that residents in the Umatilla Basin don't have to worry that the coming spring will add insult to injury," Brown said in a news release.

The remaining $9.85 million relies on the general fund or lottery dollars, which require legislative approval. “The next issue is housing relief, and we don’t have a solution for that,” said Pendleton Mayor John Turner – who doesn’t know how the city will address the hundreds of displaced flood evacuees. The walkout could leave the city in difficulty while it waits for FEMA funds unlikely to come soon.

“Relying on FEMA funding is not an immediate solution,” Turner said. “We’re still waiting on FEMA funds for expenses from the flood of April of last year, so it could be at least a year.”

If walkouts continue through the remaining 11 days of the session remaining bills will likely be stalled until the 2021 legislative session.

Brown reiterated her commitment to provide aid to flood victims and heaved blame on Senate Republicans for their role in delaying funds.

"That commitment doesn't change with Republican lawmakers' decision to walk away from their jobs and from the needs of this community, which is struggling to move forward after a devastating disaster,” Brown said in a news release.

In a repeat of a walkout last year, Republicans are protesting Senate Bill 1530 over concerns the bill would harm businesses and drive up fuel costs. The bill would impose a graduating cap on greenhouse gas emissions and require emissions allowances for heavy polluters such as the transportation, fuels, utility and industrial sectors.

In a statement decrying the bill as a “cap-and-trade scam," the Oregon Republican Party came out in support of Republican senators.

“Ultimately, if the Salem elitists believe so strongly in how wonderful and necessary their so-called emergency Cap & Trade legislation is, they should enthusiastically permit the voters of Oregon to decide its fate,” the GOP said in a news release.
    First off, here's a reminder that the Oregon Republicans in the Senate did this last year and the governor sent out law enforcement to find them - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oregon-...ce-after-them/

This is the second time that, rather than debate and do their jobs, Oregon Republicans have simply disappeared and prevented the state Senate from getting any work done at all.

And this time, they're actively harming Oregonians who are in need of aide to recover following severe flooding. Aide that is currently held up by these Senate Republicans, because they appear to care more about scoring political points than they do taking care of Oregonians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Democrats knew that there would be a walk out and yet still decided to put the Cap and Trade bill before legislation anyways. They are using this to grandstand and to get their way. How about they take this bill off for now and settle with the flood relief in Pendleton?

The Republicans are just demanding that this bill be put onto the ballot. That is more than reasonable.

The other problem is that the Oregon State legislator is known for being defiant and going against the voters. Similar bills have already failed and yet Kate Brown does it anyways. See Gross receipts sales tax bill that unfortunately passed last year as proof. Voted down 3 times in recent memory but the fucks in Salem do it anyways.

This is why you get a walk out and why I will be voting republican in the State of Oregon from now on.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2020-02-26 at 10:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Democrats knew that there would be a walk out and yet still decided to put the Cap and Trade bill before legislation anyways. They are using this to grandstand and to get their way. How about they take this bill off for now and settle with the flood relief in Pendleton?

The Republicans are just demanding that this bill be put onto the ballot. That is more than reasonable.

The other problem is that the Oregon State legislator is known for being defiant and going against the voters. Similar bills have already failed and yet Kate Brown does it anyways. See Gross receipts sales tax bill that unfortunately passed last year as proof. Voted down 3 times in recent memory but the fucks in Salem do it anyways.

This is why you get a walk out.
    Cool.

@Edge What's the ruling on the novel idea of just locking the doors and not letting them back in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    I prefer to vote for people who show up to do their job. Which means I'll probably have to keep voting for Democrats and hope they have progressives on the ballot.
    They are doing their jobs by demanding that this be put onto the ballot. You know ... democracy right?

They are doing their jobs by demanding that this be put onto the ballot. You know ... democracy right?
    Democracy doesn't seem to matter when republicans are in charge... Why can't we put all policies on the ballot? Why is this only an issue when republicans lose.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    Democracy doesn't seem to matter when republicans are in charge... Why can't we put all policies on the ballot? Why is this only an issue when republicans lose.
    You got that backwards.

If there is going to be a new tax, it needs to be brought forth to the voters.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure not coming to work is the exact opposite of doing your job.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

You got that backwards.

Trump tax cuts passed through the senate despite them being unpopular. You also didn't answer my question should everything be up to the voters directly or only when republicans are losing?
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You got that backwards.

I don't remember voting on Trumps tax cuts. That is because that isn't how it works. We are a representative democracy, not a direct democracy.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

No - democracy is letting the majority decide. Refusing to work is called a strike.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

This is why you get a walk out and why I will be voting republican in the State of Oregon from now on.
    And this is why you're part of the problem with this country as a whole, and Oregon not able to do work, specifically. You know what happens in the real world when people walk out? They get fired. Wouldn't it be neato if the GOP were held accountable to the same standards a grocery clerk?

And it's pretty clear you don't understand Ballot measures at all. But that's another discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    Trump tax cuts passed through the senate despite them being unpopular. You also didn't answer my question should everything be up to the voters directly or only when republicans are losing?
    I do not know enough about the tax code changes to comment on this. BUt I do not remember him putting in new taxes such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I don't remember voting on Trumps tax cuts. That is because that isn't how it works. We are a representative democracy, not a direct democracy.
    Well the democrats are NOT doing that at all so the republicans had to do the only thing they can. Here is the break down

-New taxes on the ballot, it fails
    -State tries again, it fails
    -Another time but slightly different, it fails again because it was a bull shit tax from the start.
    -State says fuck you and does it anyways.
    -New tax gas tax on the ballot, fails
    -State tries to do it anyway...
    -Republicans walk out
    -pikachu face

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And this is why you're part of the problem with this country as a whole, and Oregon not able to do work, specifically. You know what happens in the real world when people walk out? They get fired. Wouldn't it be neato if the GOP were held accountable to the same standards a grocery clerk?

And it's pretty clear you don't understand Ballot measures at all. But that's another discussion.
    No you are part of the problem. I do understand the ballot measures. And for the most part if am FOR the Cap and Trade bill. But I am very against the recent sales tax.

This could all be solved if the bill was shelved for now and they can get working on the other stuff such as the thread title.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2020-02-26 at 11:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not know enough about the tax code changes to comment on this. BUt I do not remember him putting in new taxes such as this.

Well the democrats are NOT doing that at all so the republicans had to do the only thing they can. Here is the break down

-New taxes on the ballot, it fails
    -State tries again, it fails
    -Another time but slightly different, it fails again because it was a bull shit tax from the start.
    -State says fuck you and does it anyways.
    -New tax gas tax on the ballot, fails
    -State tries to do it anyway...
    -Republicans walk out
    -pikachu face
    'Kay.

There's good reason for that. Taxes should not ever be put up for referendum as California and Washington have discovered the hard way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they want a ballot initiative, they can do that after they do the rest of their jobs. Just make an initiative to repeal it, like they did in WA for car tabs. Oh, they already know that would fail and it's not actually about getting it to the voters, is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    If they want a ballot initiative, they can do that after they do the rest of their jobs. Just make an initiative to repeal it, like they did in WA for car tabs. Oh, they already know that would fail and it's not actually about getting it to the voters, is it?
    Well they are going to sue to get their way and go against the voters I heard. Another example of government gone to shit.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    No you are part of the problem. I do understand the ballot measures. And for the most part if am FOR the Cap and Trade bill. But I am very against the recent sales tax.

This could all be solved if the bill was shelved for now and they can get working on the other stuff such as the thread title.
    Lol re childish tantrum there, bud ("No, YOU!" - Trumpsters unite!). Your personal proclivities are irrelevant to this process, just as the first indicator of how high your ignorance goes on this overall issue. Vote for your Rep, period. It's their job.

Speaking of which, it all could have been resolved if the GOP Rep's weren't a bunch of childish cowards. Did they seriously walk out if they couldn't get their way? That's not how a representative democracy works. (step two in your learning process)

They don't get to leave if they are unhappy. Bills get passed all the time where Reps don't agree. That's democracy. Not doing your job (cowardly GOP Reps) is how you get fired.

- - - Updated - - -

Well they are going to sue to get their way and go against the voters I heard. Another example of government gone to shit.
    I hope the Governor has them arrested. The Oregon GOP Reps are moral cowards. Do you job or resign.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol re childish tantrum there, bud ("No, YOU!" - Trumpsters unite!). Your personal proclivities are irrelevant to this process, just as the first indicator of how high your ignorance goes on this overall issue. Vote for your Rep, period. It's their job.

Speaking of which, it all could have been resolved if the GOP Rep's weren't a bunch of childish cowards. Did they seriously walk out if they couldn't get their way? That's not how a representative democracy works. (step two in your learning process)

They don't get to leave if they are unhappy. Bills get passed all the time where Reps don't agree. That's democracy. Not doing your job (cowardly GOP Reps) is how you get fired.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope the Governor has them arrested. The Oregon GOP Reps are moral cowards. Do you job or resign.
    Just throwing your own insult right back at you. All could of been resolved if the democrats were willing to negotiate and/or shelve this bill for later and do the far more important legislation RIGHT now. Unfortunately they can't trust them (from the sales tax bill) and I do not blame them.

FYI it seems that the majority of citizens are against these new taxes. Ill try to find the polls form local news stations.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2020-02-27 at 12:16 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just throwing your own insult right back at you. All could of been resolved if the democrats were willing to negotiate and/or shelve this bill for later and do the far more important legislation RIGHT now. Unfortunately they can't trust them (from the sales tax bill) and I do not blame them.

FYI it seems that the majority of citizens are against these new taxes. Ill try to find the polls form local news stations.
    The truth isn't an insult, something you Trumpsters never seem to understand.

All of this could have been resolved if the cowardly GOP Reps had done their job. Why aren't we firing people who walk out? Would you still have your job if you walked out because they were doing something you didn't like? Work or resign, "hiding like spoiled children" isn't an option.

10+ Year Old Account
    The truth isn't an insult, something you Trumpsters never seem to understand.

All of this could have been resolved if the cowardly GOP Reps had done their job. Why aren't we firing people who walk out? Would you still have your job if you walked out because they were doing something you didn't like? Work or resign, "hiding like spoiled children" isn't an option.
    Calling me part of the problem and a Trumpster seem like a insult to me. I have news for you, I am not a Trumpster. Just because I happen to be more Republican (I am actually moderate Libertarian) doesn't make me a Trump supporter.

If anyone should be fired it should be the entire state government honestly. Lack of leadership, voter defiance, and hypocrisy is what has created this predicament.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just throwing your own insult right back at you. All could of been resolved if those damn democrats would just surrender to the will of God's appointed minority.
    Fixed that for you.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters