Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    No gating can never be a win win. It can be only be a mild annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    It would kind of force people to play ALL their characters in order to get over gated systems.
    I read it differently. Using the example of world quests:

You could do the same 1 WQ 3x on your main
    OR
    You could do the same 1 WQ 1x each on 3 characters

But in either case, you'd get rep account-wide.

It sounded basically like making all currencies, reps, etc account-wide so it doesn't matter what character you work on them on. Which sounds nice QoL wise, but would shorten replayability a lot.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

It's not a bad idea and it's not worse than now, because if you have a bunch of alts sitting around, suddenly, they're useful, but those who only like to play one character will complain and feel obliged to level multiple alts like everyone else to be on an even playing field. Case in point, most of the thread's replies.

You don't have server cap number of max level characters to blitz through the gated content to get max power on week one of a new raid? GTFO of the guild.

This is what would happen.

Better idea, make gated stuff account wide sure, but make progress to them gated by account, not character. Thing I really like in Destiny 2, the line between character and account is almost nonexistent. Hell, your average ilvl even takes into account items on other characters (as long as you can use them).

Essentially, make things account wide, but don't give a benefit for having multiple characters. Multiple characters should be if you want a more varied playing experience, not to make your main stronger (barring profession stuff). So one week I could play my hunter, and another week I could play my DK. Gated content would progress just as much. Obviously each character would only get the gear for one week of content, but if I wanted to I could play both characters both weeks too. But gated content would progress just as much.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    You don't have server cap number of max level characters to blitz through the gated content to get max power on week one of a new raid? GTFO of the guild.

This is what would happen.

Better idea, make gated stuff account wide sure, but make progress to them gated by account, not character. Thing I really like in Destiny 2, the line between character and account is almost nonexistent. Hell, your average ilvl even takes into account items on other characters (as long as you can use them).

Essentially, make things account wide, but don't give a benefit for having multiple characters. Multiple characters should be if you want a more varied playing experience, not to make your main stronger (barring profession stuff). So one week I could play my hunter, and another week I could play my DK. Gated content would progress just as much. Obviously each character would only get the gear for one week of content, but if I wanted to I could play both characters both weeks too. But gated content would progress just as much.
    Giving players options is the only way around this. People don't want to spend forever grinding systems since the game offer so much more to do, they have to have time t do all the other things the game offers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Why time gate? there are plenty other mechanics that keep content fresh and healthy. timegate is cheap mechanic for greater sub number.

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    We all know Blizzard doesn't care about what we think is bad and how to solve it as long as it's not in line with their player retention and how to increase their monthly active sub strategies ...
    TBH, there is a bit of an argument that gating is healthy for players, some of whom would (and have) literally play themselves into the grave. Yes, there is a business argument for keeping people subbed...but there is also an experience argument for preventing burnout. On top of that, there's a portion of the playerbase that likes to brute force all content available to them within 48hrs...and then complain about "nothing to do" for the next three months. Content isn't made via magic pixie dust, there has to be things that slow you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    TBH, there is a bit of an argument that gating is healthy for players, some of whom would (and have) literally play themselves into the grave. Yes, there is a business argument for keeping people subbed...but there is also an experience argument for preventing burnout. On top of that, there's a portion of the playerbase that likes to brute force all content available to them within 48hrs...and then complain about "nothing to do" for the next three months. Content isn't made via magic pixie dust, there has to be things that slow you down.
    I am pro gating (I'm gonna get flamed for this), because I have other things to do in my life besides gaming. As of today, I have uninstalled all games except for two. One that teaches me how to play a real guitar and another that teaches me how to play the drum kit using VR in complete silence. I tried to like BDO and GW2, but just couldn't stand either and it took me one week to decide no more of this. I don't enjoy any of the MMORPGs currently available to play, especially since my only gaming background is WoW (until the BfA hit the fans).

I am now waiting for three games to release to give MMORPGs one final try: WoW Shadowlands, New World and Blue Protocol. Until then, I'm taking a break from MMORPGs because it's all scheisse right now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asaliah View Post
    Stuff like access to Nazjatar or the quest line for 8.3 should be done once and unlock the content for all your rerolls directly.
    Agree in 100% thats actually push me away from makeing multiple alts. Atm i have one but its little meh because of doin same content just to unlock neck traits, w q zones, corruptions, cloak chain q etc. dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    Agree with this. Also gating prevents players with limited playtime from falling too far behind. For example, current system with cloak when you can do 3 assaults per week and bonus dailies if you have extra time/want to do them is more or less ok. Weekly conquest/valor caps were also a comfortable kind of gating for me.

Personally I don't like idea of account-wide progression aside from cosmetic things, because this is an rpg and characters should have some identity. But you definitely should be able to speed up your progression on alts significantly. Got exalted with faction on main - buy a token to get x2 or x3 rep on alts, leveled neck to 80 on main - get an item to x2 azerite gains on alts, etc. Current situation with essences and even with cloak, when you have to do the same amount of grind on all your characters is just outrageous and should never happen again.

Gating exists because Blizzard have no faith in their own product, it can be justified for some content (like dungeon and raiding) but its clear at this point that Blizzard uses it so they can boast about their daily active player numbers and to ensure that players stay for x amount of subs. There is no situation where it becomes "win-win", stop trying to "fix" it since all youre doing is trying to normalize shitty business practices.

Quote Originally Posted by qwikz View Post
    Gating exists because Blizzard have no faith in their own product, it can be justified for some content (like dungeon and raiding) but its clear at this point that Blizzard uses it so they can boast about their daily active player numbers and to ensure that players stay for x amount of subs. There is no situation where it becomes "win-win", stop trying to "fix" it since all youre doing is trying to normalize shitty business practices.
    gating is healthy for the game as long as it does not include exalted reps imo.

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    If more of the gated systems are made account-wide, would that not make players want to play alts with the incentive of progressing whatever this account-wide system happens to be? For example, make system "A" account wide, make it so a single character can only do it 3 times a week, but progress is account-wide.

If I have 12 alts/different classes at max level, I get to repeat the same gated-grind 12 times x three a week. Would this kind of design make gated systems feel like a win-win where players are happy their progress is account-wide, alt friendly and not boring since the player gets to play using different alts/specs/classes...etc?

This can't burn out players if the grind takes 10-15min and is limited to once or twice per WEEK per character. Let's say you have all 50 alts max level, which many altaholics already do anyway. 50 times 10 minutes divided by 60 minutes equals around 8 hours per week which is a little over an hour a day.

In Shadowlands, leveling an alt from 1 to 60 will probably take half the time it takes to get to max in BfA. Alt friendly systems and account wide progress is what you all want, right? That's the win for the players, and the win for Blizz can't be even more obvious than that.

Another option would be to let players do all the above 8 hours worth of grinding per week on a single character (main) if they want to bore themselves to death. That way, nobody can complain about being forced to level up 50 alts.

But then again, Blizz probably thinks most its players are dense and troubled addicts, so they will just do what they think is OK regardless of feedback.

The win/win is to make it fit functionally into the story to the point that it makes sense. Pre-patch Darkshore is a great example of this, where the timegate(for Horde, I don't remember the Alliance side sorry) was 'finding' a way to push past the choke the Alliance set up by sending a force around into Felwood and to scale down the mountain. From a story perspective, this fit perfectly to timegate because it would never happen in a short time. I'm fine with gating if it fits a story purpose, I'm not fine with gating for the sake of gating.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Asaliah View Post
    Stuff like access to Nazjatar or the quest line for 8.3 should be done once and unlock the content for all your rerolls directly.
    You got it. They finally listened. Win-win wins!