Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    To make sure that bones weren't hit, to make sure that larger veins/arteries aren't hit.

And here is the full source: https://web.archive.org/web/20160331...tlesnake-bites
    Holy shit! That's not just a rattlesnake bite. That's like calling brain surgery a "minor intervention". Of course it's gonna be expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Just quit already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Shut the hell up. You mindless consumers are why these companies get away with doing scummy shit with their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    Holy shit! That's not just a rattlesnake bite. That's like calling brain surgery a "minor intervention". Of course it's gonna be expensive.
    Do you know what happens with a rattlesnake bite? Tissue breaks down in with the toxin. I forgot what kind of toxin it is, but the guy is lucky he didn't lose his arm because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Do you know what happens with a rattlesnake bite? Tissue breaks down in with the toxin. I forgot what kind of toxin it is, but the guy is lucky he didn't lose his arm because of it.
    Well I wouldn't call him lucky, his arm cost him $151.000. Quite a low price, if you think about it. How much would you be willing to sell your right arm for? Certainly more than that.
    Just quit already.
    Shut the hell up. You mindless consumers are why these companies get away with doing scummy shit with their products.

Pharmaceuticals is big business, who knew?

They charge what'd cost $0.20 to manufacture for $200-1000+. Absolute racket. They'd sooner see people die if profits aren't made.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-02-28 at 01:26 PM.

Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    costs of a rattlesnake bite in usa... is it true that this costs so much in usa to treat?
    If you don't have medical insurance, then it's possible.

Merely a Setback CommunismWillWin's Avatar
    Well I wouldn't call him lucky, his arm cost him $151.000. Quite a low price, if you think about it. How much would you be willing to sell your right arm for? Certainly more than that.
    Most people can't afford that, you know.
    Conservatism and its off-shoots are the most rotten idealogies to ever exist in human history.
    Anarcho-communism =/ Stalinism.
    FULLY AUTOMATED GAY LUXURY SPACE COMMUNISM

Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Pharmaceuticals is big business, who knew?
    Hospital pharmacy charges an inflated rate. I mean what do you expect they have to spend around a billion to get a drug to market.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Most people can't afford that, you know.
    Resources are limited. They aren't readily available for any amount of people. Someone always has to pay for them, be that the person OR society as a whole.

Private healthcare: You are responsible for yourself. You pay your own bill.
    Public healthcare: We are responsible for you, and you, and you, and you, and you, and you...about 327 million you. We all pay higher taxes so you don't have to pay your own bill.
    Just quit already.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    17% of their Revenues and what else, meaning what else is being spent from where, I've seen what you are talking about but the numbers not the Percentage seems to suggest some company's spend more money on R&D than some small countries many of whom have socialized medicine.

Again that cost has to be paid by someone, I don't think the figures are as hard to come by as much as they aren't as easy to navigate or understand. Yes Business is in the Business for fucking you for profit, the question is where are the prices coming from.

Cost is a big part of it, it's possible their marketing budget is so high because otherwise their is no revenue to even make the drugs, I blame that on Government stupidity and the Essential Oils Alternative Medicine nonsense.

People will bitch a mile long about drugs with side effects for problems they have and ask for, that have been FDA verified and tested, but THEN go ahead and buy some garbage powder they read on TV that supposed to in fine print not treat, or cure anything nor have their bullshit claims been FDA certified by anybody except for some paid actor in a lab coat reading a script.

As I said call Big Pharma the bad guy or Big Business as part of this and I'll agree, but we are addressing the problem, and the cost we see in the OP are REAL! Those cost are also associated with the reasons I mentioned, something most Nations especially those with socialized medicine aren't on the receiving end of.

However that Revenue we are speaking of comes in large part due to company's and those BILLS are a reflection.

So mark my words some Countries it might actually be better for THEM if WE never have Universal Healthcare.
    This is a trillion dollar industry this percentages are just for the industry in general, this is an average so usually the small companies do most of the R&D. Also the part that is muddied is that R&D doesn't always mean new drugs sometimes they just add a few ingredients and call it a new drug or find new uses for old drugs that's also under there. The reason those bills exist is because in the US they can charge whatever they want.

Although the case can be made that for this field it would be better for the public good that governments take charge instead of private business. The pharmaceutical industry have no financial incentive to research cures as they are not as profitable and when they do the prices are so insanely high only a few can afford it. If you look at some diseases even pressing matters like antibiotics it's pretty clear the private sector is not the way to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Resources are limited. They aren't readily available for any amount of people. Someone always has to pay for them, be that the person OR society as a whole.

False because when people have no insurance or can't pay the prices increase for everyone else, doctors can't just let people die because they can't pay. This is the big giant hole in a system that relies on private health care there is no such thing as your own bill you are paying for other people whether you want to or not. The question is whether you want the power to have better prices or give those CEOs new yachts, the US has taken the yachts route.

Imagine contemplating death so your family doesnt go into massive debt.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    This is a trillion dollar industry this percentages are just for the industry in general, this is an average so usually the small companies do most of the R&D. Also the part that is muddied is that R&D doesn't always mean new drugs sometimes they just add a few ingredients and call it a new drug or find new uses for old drugs that's also under there. The reason those bills exist is because in the US they can charge whatever they want.

Although the case can be made that for this field it would be better for the public good that governments take charge instead of private business. The pharmaceutical industry have no financial incentive to research cures as they are not as profitable and when they do the prices are so insanely high only a few can afford it. If you look at some diseases even pressing matters like antibiotics it's pretty clear the private sector is not the way to go.

- - - Updated - - -

False because when people have no insurance or can't pay the prices increase for everyone else, doctors can't just let people die because they can't pay. This is the big giant hole in a system that relies on private health care there is no such thing as your own bill you are paying for other people whether you want to or not. The question is whether you want the power to have better prices or give those CEOs new yachts, the US has taken the yachts route.
    The "yachts route" works for the vast majority of society. The alternative was applied in countries such as Russia, and it didn't work out very well. You think this guy would have kept his arm in Russia? They wouldn't even have had the medication available so fast.

When you use wealth to motivate people such as a CEO and shareholders, you get quality and progress. When you don't, no one cares, and those that do are too few to count, and people die.

You think real life is like Star Trek? Where people do shit the best they can just because they want to help society as a whole? BRUH!
    Deep down, Man is an animal, and an animal needs motivation to do anything.
    Last edited by Buttwitch; 2020-02-28 at 01:45 PM.
    Just quit already.

So the hospital bill causes as much harm as the snakebite.

Public healthcare: We are responsible for you, and you, and you, and you, and you, and you...about 327 million you. We all pay higher taxes so you don't have to pay your own bill.
    Yet most countries have no problem with the limited resources, and even private healthcare is far, far cheaper. But hey, if you think the poor deserve to die from medical problems because they can't afford treatment, for power to ya,

But how does it feel that Cuba has far better healthcare than the US?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    So the hospital bill causes as much harm as the snakebite.
    Way more, i'd say. Your life is pretty much ruined.
    Conservatism and its off-shoots are the most rotten idealogies to ever exist in human history.

Yet most countries have no problem with the limited resources, and even private healthcare is far, far cheaper. But hey, if you think the poor deserve to die from medical problems because they can't afford treatment, for power to ya.
    You want some of the people to have it bad and most people have it good OR do you want all people to have it equally bad? It's one or the other. You can't divide resources to much as to help all people.

But how does it feel that Cuba has far better healthcare than the US?
    When the "Healthcare" involves an aspirin and a bandaid, I'm sure it's much easier to pay for it. Doesn't mean it's helpful, though.
    Last edited by Buttwitch; 2020-02-28 at 01:50 PM.
    Just quit already.

You want some of the people to have it bad and most people have it good OR do you want all people to have it equally bad? It's one or the other. You can't divide resources to much as to help all people.
    Yet a lot of countries do manage to do that, I wonder why.

When the "Healthcare" involves an aspirin and a bandaid, I'm sure it's much easier to pay for it.
    Higher life expectancy than the US. Lower infant mortality rate than the US. Has vaccine against lung cancer. 1 doctor for every 150 citizens.

But yeah, i'm sure you know everything about Cuban healthcare.

Considering that the first hospital in America only came to existence in 1752. The US is not even a first world country. They are light years behind europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    This is why I don't consider the US a first world country.
    By all modern measurements of a developed nation they are not developed anymore.

Stop worrying about your income, peoples health are far more important than the extra 30$ a pay you will lose every month that you would blow on stupid shit anyways. You will not miss it I promise you and many people will live because of your sacrifice.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

- let's get real everyone, classic needs #somechanges get over it.

How does the vast majority of the Western world manage to do it then with cheaper cost and better outcome? what's your excuse for those facts? you are putting up a false choice.

I know someone who is dying because of major cuts in public spending, that they themselves voted for. My feelings are... well this is what you wanted isn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Hospital pharmacy charges an inflated rate. I mean what do you expect they have to spend around a billion to get a drug to market.
    Bullshit.

There is a cancer drug that taxpayers spent $700m to develop that the government then sold to Bayer for like nothing 2 million or some shit. Bayer spent 200mn and now the government has spent something like $1.7BILLION on this medication they mostly developed.

So taxpayers are spent $2.4billion for a private company to make $4billion

The fuck is this?

Do you have any idea how many medicines on the market actually have hundreds of millions of taxpayer funded research? Which taxpayers double pay for as they pay to develop the majority of it and then pay horribly inflated prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post

costs of a rattlesnake bite in usa... is it true that this costs so much in usa to treat?
    Damn, this guy must have good insurance. $80k, Thats pretty cheap for rattler Anti-Venom round` here in TX.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2020-02-28 at 02:21 PM.