Thread: DSL Modem Help

DSL Modem Help

My wife and I recently moved and our new internet provider uses DSL internet instead of cable (TBH, I am not even sure I am using the right terminology here). Basically for my whole gaming life, I have plugged coaxial into the modem, hard wired to the gaming pc and had a router for wifi. Here, there is no coaxial, it looks like the ethernet/fat phone line/networking type wires.

The tech kept calling it ethernet, but from what I can tell on the internet, it's called DSL, or at least that is the type of modem.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good DSL modem that is good for gaming? I am so in over my head and money is kind of tight (new house, baby on the way, etc), I want to make sure I get the right modem the first time and don't get one, have to return, get another, etc.

2. Does getting one that includes a router affect the quality? Is it still better to have one dedicated modem and one router, or is getting one that is a combo fine?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like what you need is simply a router. If I understand your setup correctly, there would be a central cable modem somewhere in the building (I assume you live in an apartment?) supplying internet via ethernet to the apartments. So you'd just connect a router to that to handle the traffic from the devices in your home.

At least that's how it works where I live.

DSL comes in on your standard phone line, you'll run a standard RJ11/RJ12 line from a jack into the back of a modem, which in turn will have a port for RJ45 standard ethernet cat 5/6/7 whatever.

You'll typically also need to install filters on the other phone drops in your house to prevent interference. your installer should have brought all this with him to set you up, typically.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically:

Wall Jack (RJ11 Phone Port) -> Phone cable -> DSL Modem -> Cat5 cable -> Router -> Cat5 Cable -> Computer

Pretty much everything that you know is the same, except replace "Cable Modem" With "DSL Modem" and "Coaxial Cable" with "Telephone Cable". Everything past the modem in the house is the same.

That said, check what packages your internet provider allows. There's no point in getting a beefy modem that supports all kinds of neat stuff if you're package doesn't even have that.

Arris, Netgear, and Motorola are the most common modem brands.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab