Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to know when to cleanse Corrupted items ?

It seems i not fully get that system.

How do i know what combination of items i need ? And when to cleanse and when not.

I understand (in my case Balance Druid) there are a few effects i want to have (Grushing Wound, Infinity Stars). Ok, seems fine. So i take items with that until my accepted corruption level is reached (how i know how high should that be?).

But if i get not that great items, how do i know that the negative effect i reach with a item (lets say 40) is worth the dps the item provides by its effect ? Or should i better cleanse it and stay at 39 ?

And after asking this: I can not know what item i get next. If i decided, in the actual combination of items, its better to cleanse an item, but after that i get a item that, if i cleanse THAT, and had kept the old cleansed item uncleansed, the whole combination made more sense? i dont get that.

Since i play rarely these days, i do not get how to handle that system and how to plan items and knowing which to cleanse and which not and what corruption level to accept. I looked at Bloodmallet, Icy Veins and Reddit and it not really helped me in deciding what to do with what items (if they are not the BiS corruption effects).

And i just read answers like „its up to you what you think feels best comfort for you“. Ehrm, i do not know what feels best for me. Ofc i can run away of a ghost and still deal dmg. Ok fine. But how i know if i am dealing more dmg when standing still without effect, than running away dealing dmg with effect. Umpf ?

Can someone enlighten me ?
    Last edited by Niwes; 2020-02-28 at 06:18 PM.

If it's a good corruption: Never cleanse it. You'll get more resistance in the future and can maybe use it.
    If it's a shit corruption and it's a BiS (stat-wise) upgrade: Maybe cleanse it? They may buff it in the future though.
    If it's tied to a stat that is bad for you (for example, Mastery on an Outlaw Rogue) and it's an upg w/o the corruption: Cleanse it.

If it's complicated for no reason and you never feel like you understand it, that's totally normal because this system is awful.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Just sim the Items:
    https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/topgear

If you would completely swap the Item out, you can keep the Old Item with Corruption as backup.

If you get a DPS gain from Cleansing one and Equipping another I would do that, you dont gain anything from an Item lying in the bag in the Hopes of Getting an Upgrade.

In terms of Potential Resistance Upgrades from Cloak, you can adjust the Slider on RaidBots.

Sim it and figure out if you really have to, ideally you never purify because shit changes and you never know what might end up being a better combo the more of them that you get.

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    That's not good enough since resistance you'll get in the future + corruptions may be buffed (like the 2h Axe that was awful but is now god-tier for BDKs). This is the one time that "sim it" isn't the best answer.

Seriously, this system can't even be simmed appropriately. It's garbage.

PS: Good luck simming anything with Purify checked if you don't pay for more combinations.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    If it's a good corruption: Never cleanse it. You'll get more resistance in the future and can maybe use it.
    If it's a shit corruption and it's a BiS (stat-wise) upgrade: Maybe cleanse it? They may buff it in the future though.
    If it's tied to a stat that is bad for you (for example, Mastery on an Outlaw Rogue) and it's an upg w/o the corruption: Cleanse it.

If it's complicated for no reason and you never feel like you understand it, that's totally normal because this system is awful.
    few questions here:

- how to weigh 2 items that are middle of pack against each other ? which to cleanse and which not ?
    - how do i know, in your second part, to cleanse that in comparison to a „bad stats but mid effect“ item ?

- - - Updated - - -

well, first: it looks like without simming you have NO CHANCE at all, to compare combinations. not even some vague basic principles.

second: to really know whats best, you
    - a) have to sim every combination of cleansed uncleansed and all effects
    - b) if you really get what you should do now, you hate yourself tomorrow when you cleansed an item, because in new combination the uncleansed would fit better (when the new item instead would be cleansed)

this system make in my mind more sense when you can de-uncleanse (recover) items.

all in all this sounds like a complete horror to understand whats best to wear at the moment. especially when you know you totally can do stupid by cleansing now, when tomorrow you would have a better combination.

cheesus this sounds shit as hell. hopefully they do not take this shit system in some form into SL. omg.

or i do not get something here.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    few questions here:

- how to weigh 2 items that are middle of pack against each other ? which to cleanse and which not ?
    - how do i know, in your second part, to cleanse that in comparison to a „bad stats but mid effect“ item ?
    - Keep them both uncleansed, use the one that's better/that you like better if they're that close.
    - If you're this stressed over corruptions and don't know what your generally "good" secondary stats are, you have your priorities wrong. Like if you have a +12% Mastery corruption, unless Mastery is your best/extremely close to your best stat, it's not going to be worth it over using better corruptions like Infinite Stars or Twilight Devastation.

well, first: it looks like without simming you have NO CHANCE at all, to compare combinations. not even some vague basic principles.
    Yeah because it uses too many combinations. For example, checking 2 corruptions+purification = simming if you have none of them on, 1 of them (x2), 1 purified (x2), both of them, both purified, and 1 purified and 1 not (x2). That alone multiplies your combinations by NINE (9) as opposed to the 4 that 2 corruptions would be (none, 1 on x2, and both on).

all in all this sounds like a complete horror to understand whats best to wear at the moment. especially when you know you totally can do stupid by cleansing now, when tomorrow you would have a better combination.

cheesus this sounds shit as hell. hopefully they do not take this shit system in some form into SL. omg.
    Yeah, like I said, it's shit. It's significantly worse than TF ever was. The only good thing to come out of this is that you have a much better chance of being able to trade items since CF doesn't increase the iLvl (and make it harder to trade), but TF does.

All of this corrupted gear will go obsolete in about 7-10 months so.....

1. If you are a bleeding edge raider trying to clear mythic in the next 2 months, I suppose you can hang onto gear in the hopes you raise your corruption resistance enough to use it.

2. If you are never going to clear mythic, or won't clear it until maybe fall, you might as well just cleanse stuff and worry about ilvl more than corruption. Otherwise you'll have bags filled with high ilvl gear that you will use for maybe 1 month or never.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

3+ Year Old Account
    It seems i not fully get that system.

How do i know what combination of items i need ? And when to cleanse and when not.

I understand (in my case Balance Druid) there are a few effects i want to have (Grushing Wound, Infinity Stars). Ok, seems fine. So i take items with that until my accepted corruption level is reached (how i know how high should that be?).

But if i get not that great items, how do i know that the negative effect i reach with a item (lets say 40) is worth the dps the item provides by its effect ? Or should i better cleanse it and stay at 39 ?

And after asking this: I can not know what item i get next. If i decided, in the actual combination of items, its better to cleanse an item, but after that i get a item that, if i cleanse THAT, and had kept the old cleansed item uncleansed, the whole combination made more sense? i dont get that.

Since i play rarely these days, i do not get how to handle that system and how to plan items and knowing which to cleanse and which not and what corruption level to accept. I looked at Bloodmallet, Icy Veins and Reddit and it not really helped me in deciding what to do with what items (if they are not the BiS corruption effects).

And i just read answers like „its up to you what you think feels best comfort for you“. Ehrm, i do not know what feels best for me. Ofc i can run away of a ghost and still deal dmg. Ok fine. But how i know if i am dealing more dmg when standing still without effect, than running away dealing dmg with effect. Umpf ?

Can someone enlighten me ?
    That's what playing a RPG is all about. You put items on, you fight with it, and figure it out for yourself. Not just over 1 fight, but after many dungeons and stuff in some cases it's a bit harder to pin point.

If you don't play a lot it's gonna take longer in terms of days played. That's normal, that's what life is, and games are part of life. Things take time, you have to put the time in, and that's it. Some dude next to you can play more and will get it down before you, some other dude will never get it down, this isn't a race or anything and it's normal to be behind some people.

You seem to be looking for an easy answer kind of like "what class is the best!?!?" when it just depends on you, some people have an easy time dealing with the corruption effects, some do better with less, and all of this changes with every new effect you get and switch things up, there will never be one official final answer, in the same fashion that most guides offer a basic suggestion but it's not always the best builds, hence why many "pros" play something different than the typical icy veins builds you see.

You just gotta play it dude, not just sit there calculator in hand trying to figure out the secret number.

Infinite stars is only good on ST fights in the raid, like Heroic Xanesh and Shadhar H/M so I don't prioritize that trait for a general gear set.

My rule of thumb, as a dps you keep your corruption at 59 or less unless it's easy content to you and you feel like flexing for the parse, in which case go hog wild.

I don't cleanse anything unless it gives 0 damage, like +Avoidance or nonsense like Leech.
    I haven't gotten a lot of corrupted pieces and I still have nearly a dozen items lounging until I can either A) budget the corruption with further cloak upgrades or B) it gets buffed.
    I purchased a 430 socketed BoE belt with R3 Void Ritual 1 day before it was announced to be buffed. It's now my single best trait by a country mile.
    Some people got burned for investing in Echoing Void, so try to keep everything that does damage cause it might yet get tweaked.

If anything, try to prioritize the less flashy traits, like Rank 3 Expedient which is 12% haste from all sources etc. They A) scale better with overall ilvl since Stars only scales off itself and B) they're MUCH easier to budget when looking at a full kit of gear.

I personally love this system, I actually get to build-a-bear and I'm rewarded for some hoarding habits :3
    Also, 1 cloak upgrade allowed my corruption to go from 61 to 54, taking me below the scary threshold and netting me around 1,900 Patchwerk sim dps.

Do I give a fuck about the corruption and would rather wear the base item?

Cleanse.

Not very complicated.

Now you could argue that there is a chance that they buff the corruption and thats where you have to do a big brain.

Are they going to buff this ineffable truth to the point where I would use it? (from 50% to +100%) Probably not.

Cleanse.

If you are wondering how Corrupted Gear works, the first section explains it. If you’re already familiar, you can skip the first section and get into the details of how Mr. Robot helps you pick the best corruption items.

That's not good enough since resistance you'll get in the future + corruptions may be buffed (like the 2h Axe that was awful but is now god-tier for BDKs). This is the one time that "sim it" isn't the best answer.
    For one: You know Exactly what Corruption Resistance you can get in what TimeFrame.
    For the other: You cant Factor in Buffs/Nerfs, because they will Happen or Not. Its not particular Healthy to worry about that.

Seriously, this system can't even be simmed appropriately. It's garbage.

PS: Good luck simming anything with Purify checked if you don't pay for more combinations.
    Never had any Problems with simming my Gear, and I dont pay.

Especially, the Pure DPS Corruption Effects, they kinda do always the same damage. So you can just sim the Item with and Without the Corruption, and you know exactly how much DPS a given Corruption Effect does. Raidbots offers a very handy tool for that also.

Never. Who knows what the next balance hotfix will bring?

There will be some corruptions that will be completely useless to you and you will never use them (like leech% for a dps warrior). Cleanse those. Otherwise just keep the items, unless you BADLY need an ilvl ugprade in that slot.

Personally if I get good corruption but it puts me into "too many negative effects" area I just bank it for later. I keep non corrupted old items to be able to swap stuff around.

If you're a class that can't easily deal with the ghost or you play content where your attention is already strained, run 39 corruption. If you can easily cc / cancel the ghost and you don't need these abilities for a part of your strat in whatever content you're doing, you can run 59.

Best answer which items to use and which to stash is "sim it" and use common sense. Feel free to cleanse useless stats (if your worst stat is mastery and you get 12% increased mastery for example) or things like "surging vitality" that probably has poor uptime on a dps and not worth the points spent into corruption. Similar story with the cooldown reduction corruption on classes that have no cooldowns only resource system.

Keep in mind in 1 month we'll get max rank cloak and then we'll be getting weekly upgrades than continuously rise the corruption resistance (you need to kill Nzoth OR run visions for it, but you won't need both), so definitely keep some "back up" corruptions you can't fit in atm but you'd want later.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    That's what playing a RPG is all about. You put items on, you fight with it, and figure it out for yourself. Not just over 1 fight, but after many dungeons and stuff in some cases it's a bit harder to pin point.

If you don't play a lot it's gonna take longer in terms of days played. That's normal, that's what life is, and games are part of life. Things take time, you have to put the time in, and that's it. Some dude next to you can play more and will get it down before you, some other dude will never get it down, this isn't a race or anything and it's normal to be behind some people.

You seem to be looking for an easy answer kind of like "what class is the best!?!?" when it just depends on you, some people have an easy time dealing with the corruption effects, some do better with less, and all of this changes with every new effect you get and switch things up, there will never be one official final answer, in the same fashion that most guides offer a basic suggestion but it's not always the best builds, hence why many "pros" play something different than the typical icy veins builds you see.

You just gotta play it dude, not just sit there calculator in hand trying to figure out the secret number.
    thats all good statements overall. i play the game since 2005 without interruption. nontheless i am not sure that THIS should be part of gearing. the thing of „try by yourself, get experience, taste and differing from player to player“ should not be a thing when it comes down to gear. to encounters ? yes. to classes, class design and mechanics ? yes. to gear and deciding what item of 2 is the better one ? no. not in my oppinion, sorry. Thats NOT what RPGs (at least classical ones) are about.

- - - Updated - - -

concrete questions:

i have infinity stars with 75 corruption and mid stats 455 instead 445 bis stats item i wear
    i have twillight devastation with 50 corruption mid stats 455 instead 450 mid stats item i wear
    i have 2 450 corruption items with a not so well effect that both have 20 corruption. one have BiS stats. i wear 2 450/445 mid stats items.

what do i wear ?
    what do i cleanse ?

as balance druid.

- - - Updated - - -

additional question: is it normal to wear just one really good corruption piece with high corruption value ? or do most ppl wear 2-3-4 corrupted items ? i really do not get that system it seems

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the system, like a lot of things in WoW, is sort of a theory-crafter's dream and not very good for anyone else. I use the word over-engineered a lot here but this would be my current choice if I had to put a picture next to the word in a World of Warcraft dictionary. It's a mess. I like choices but I'm less of a fan of endless choices between A, B, C, D, E and F where most of them have no particular meaning or clarity. They are fond of saying that ilevel should always rule and I'm "OK" about that but then the next question becomes if ilevel is the ruling thing why is there so much other crap surrounding it.

Sometimes the design of a system reminds me of a developer saying "I wonder if this would make an excellent thread on the old Elitist Jerks site." If YES, then it must be a good idea. When you get multiple systems like that then everything becomes a sort of sludge. Unfun, unclear as to what you're really supposed to do and easier to just ignore.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2020-02-29 at 08:40 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Sim the items, watch as they get nerfed/buffed at seemingly total random, give up on simming, just equip what you feel like, get benched.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Don't ever cleanse the corruption unless it dogshit for your class ex:
    https://bloodmallet.com/index.html#w...ruption_rating

On the very bottom of that table. Don't use pure dps chart, use dps/corruption.