Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fifth Covenant Possibility?

With the popularity of the N'zoth and Sylvanas 'faction' options in BFA, do we think there's a possibility that they will add a covenant of some sort in Shadowlands that allows you to serve Sylvanas and the Jailer?

Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    With the popularity of the N'zoth and Sylvanas 'faction' options in BFA, do we think there's a possibility that they will add a covenant of some sort in Shadowlands that allows you to serve Sylvanas and the Jailer?
    There is no way that would fit in with the story they have planned.

5+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Ion himself came out and said in an interview after Mythic Nzoth world first kill that at the end of the day we're (our characters) the heroes of the story.

Kills any chance of "helping the villain" even though some people wish it could be so.

I don't think they can do that, at least not the way they usually tell stories. All of the villain factions want to destroy the universe in one way or another and they can't actually let them do that, if they want the game to continue. So the villains have to stay the villains.

Maybe if they one day invent an evil faction that is not hell bent on destroying the universe they could give that to players. Like the Forsaken used to be, before destroying the cosmos became a thing. Make that faction not be part of one of the other factions and I do think people would play it.

15+ Year Old Account
    She's taken up way to much story line, time for something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

No. They already said they are not continuing the Sylvanas loyalist questline. Sylvanas is now not only a villain (she has been one since Classic), but an antagonist as well. Thus, she will be hostile to the players. Just like there was no choice to side with Garrosh in WoD.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    There is no way that would fit in with the story they have planned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    Nope. Ion himself came out and said in an interview after Mythic Nzoth world first kill that at the end of the day we're (our characters) the heroes of the story.

Kills any chance of "helping the villain" even though some people wish it could be so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    No. They already said they are not continuing the Sylvanas loyalist questline. Sylvanas is now not only a villain (she has been one since Classic), but an antagonist as well. Thus, she will be hostile to the players. Just like there was no choice to side with Garrosh in WoD.
    N'zoth had some optional quests and still died. Sylvanas had quest choices in BFA and "lost" in regards to the BFA story. You can work for villains as long as they end up losing, which is what will happen for Sylvanas in Shadowlands (and likely Jailer though he has a better chance of being in 10.0).

The better argument is that they did indeed say there is no "Sylvanas loyalist questline" but:
    A) A Jailer covenant would not exactly be Sylvanas loyalist
    B) They may change their mind if they do consider it Sylvanas loyalist

Yeah there is no ingame option to be loyalist to sylvanas. Nope, nothing like that.

N'zoth had some optional quests and still died. Sylvanas had quest choices in BFA and "lost" in regards to the BFA story. You can work for villains as long as they end up losing, which is what will happen for Sylvanas in Shadowlands (and likely Jailer though he has a better chance of being in 10.0).

The better argument is that they did indeed say there is no "Sylvanas loyalist questline" but:
    But you wont work for her, as Blizzard already said. And the Covenant system cannot be compared to the few quests you got with the Gift of Nzoth or the Sylvanas questline. There are actual abilities, transmog sets, mounts, etc. which go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Yeah there is no ingame option to be loyalist to sylvanas. Nope, nothing like that.
    I already highlighted the difference between antagonist and villain. Siding with a villain is different from siding with an antagonist.

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

The complications of switching all but guarantees if one isn't there at launch it isn't getting added. Sylvanas also isn't really a N'zoth ally, she was using him. Now that she got as much as she could from him and he is dead/weakened he brings nothing to the table.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    The complications of switching all but guarantees if one isn't there at launch it isn't getting added. Sylvanas also isn't really a N'zoth ally, she was using him. Now that she got as much as she could from him and he is dead/weakened he brings nothing to the table.
    The point was that both Sylvanas and N'zoth are BFA villains and you could work for either of them (or both).

Ya and both fake "choices" were widely regarded as complete failures because your "choices" felt like they didn't matter at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Ya and both fake "choices" were widely regarded as complete failures because your "choices" felt like they didn't matter at all.
    That has nothing to do with the thread! Congratulations. Anymore non-sequiturs?

I mean, there isnt really much room for discussion when Blizzard already told you "No, you cant be a Sylvanas loyalist in Shadowlands" (this also means you cant be a Jailer loyalist)… sure, it could happen that they decide to change their mind for some reason, anything can potentially happen. But lets be real, they are not changing their mind.

I already highlighted the difference between antagonist and villain. Siding with a villain is different from siding with an antagonist.
    Sylvanas is and has always been antagonist for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Sylvanas is and has always been antagonist for us.
    No. The antagonist is anyone who opposes the protagonist. It is not the villain. Cenarius was an antagonist in WC3 but he was not a villain. You are the protagonist, as Ion already said (in case that wasnt clear enough). Sylvanas did not become an enemy of the Horde player until 8.2.5.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-02-28 at 11:50 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    It does because you're talking about implementing an expansion wide system that will most likely have canon story in regards to your character and their covenant by using something that was a little easter egg and no more.

Characters who worked with Sylvanas/N'zoth at the end still go against them, the end matters. Therefore it does matter that those systems were nothing more than 'hey wouldn't this be a teeny tiny fun thing for an extremely short time (time being how short the quests were)'.

Except it does, because Blizzard knows it was a failure and won't put in something worthless again.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

I can imagine how upset the orc players were.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by formerShandalay View Post
    I don't think they can do that, at least not the way they usually tell stories. All of the villain factions want to destroy the universe in one way or another and they can't actually let them do that, if they want the game to continue. So the villains have to stay the villains.

Maybe if they one day invent an evil faction that is not hell bent on destroying the universe they could give that to players. Like the Forsaken used to be, before destroying the cosmos became a thing. Make that faction not be part of one of the other factions and I do think people would play it.
    Well, Sylvanas wants to "set us all free". Maybe we can get some questlines where we help her later in this expansion.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by formerShandalay View Post

I miss the Defias, having a faction that wants revenge, but not necessarily world's destruction is great.