Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
LastLast
  1. #201
    I am Murloc! Varodoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Telogrus Rift
    Posts
    5,070
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Or really any season after 5..
    Exactly. People always blame S8, but S7 was also very shit. Especially the whole plot about Dany not winning the war in 30 minutes because "that would leave the kingdom in ruins".
    How could I ever have loved someone so weak? Let us hope Arator did not inherit your cowardice.

  2. #202
    I'm actually really enjoy TWD again, especially after GoT ended - how many shows were really good, got bad, then got really good again

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Breaking Bad is the first and probably the only one that comes to mind. So many other series have on and off seasons, but BB got better all the way through.



    Maybe to you, a lot of people including myself disagree. BB is known by the majority to have gotten better as it progressed.
    Breaking Bad is the one show I feel like I've NEVER seen any constructive negative criticism - literally everyone seems to think it's amazing yet for some reason I've still never watched it

  3. #203
    Babylon 5 for seasons 1-4. Season 5 is basically a spin-off.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Breaking Bad is the one show I feel like I've NEVER seen any constructive negative criticism - literally everyone seems to think it's amazing yet for some reason I've still never watched it
    And I having seen the show find myself skipping through it on reruns because it's so dull for 90% of the show. I have no idea why it's so critically acclaimed.

  4. #204
    brooklyn 99
    bojack horseman
    last airbender

  5. #205
    Stealthed Defender unbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Posts
    6,177
    The only ones that come to mind are Firefly (probably that way because it is only 13 episodes) and ST:TNG which actually got better after the first 2 seasons and held steady until the end (which is one of the best endings of any series).

  6. #206
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    34,838
    I think I shall add Fargo to my list - and am prepared for the people who hate season 3

    ...and a nice small german TV series about a guy that cleans crime scenes. It has a whacky humour that you either like or don't - but since I do it worked for me over all 7 seasons and 31 episodes.... (each is only 30 mins)

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I mean shows that only last 1-2 seasons and are canned for stupid network reasons and not the show actually being bad are almost batting 100% here. Sure is a lot of those these days.

    Aside from that I can always see a decline in a show. Either once one of the core cast starting thinking about movies or the writers start to run out of ideas or get lazy.
    If we are allowed to count shows in the former category- Firefly.

    Otherwise yeah; The Last Airbender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"

  8. #208
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    34,838
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Babylon 5 for seasons 1-4. Season 5 is basically a spin-off.

    And I having seen the show find myself skipping through it on reruns because it's so dull for 90% of the show. I have no idea why it's so critically acclaimed.
    Because at the end of the day, we are all different - and then it doesn't even matter if you watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mi3...HKzEMRbUEvhFei and many other videos where people actually competently and in depth (IMHO) analyse shows. It cannot make you like it, if it isn't your cup of tea. (the show that you mention you like - Babylon 5 does nothing for me. And then there is a show like the Wire, that is supposed to be groundbreaking, yet I only watched one season)

    So yeah...if you want to KNOW why a show is critically acclaimed, that at least you can find out. As I said..it still can't make you agree or fall in love with it. But you could try and sit down and deconstruct it

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I'd say the most consistent shows are usually lower quality shows like Modern Family that really don't have to do much to stay good.
    I'd say you're wrong. Modern Family got significantly worse after season 4, There would still be an occasional genuinely funny episode, but by and large the laughs came much less frequently from season 5 onwards.

  10. #210
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Because at the end of the day, we are all different - and then it doesn't even matter if you watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mi3...HKzEMRbUEvhFei and many other videos where people actually competently and in depth (IMHO) analyse shows. It cannot make you like it, if it isn't your cup of tea. (the show that you mention you like - Babylon 5 does nothing for me. And then there is a show like the Wire, that is supposed to be groundbreaking, yet I only watched one season)

    So yeah...if you want to KNOW why a show is critically acclaimed, that at least you can find out. As I said..it still can't make you agree or fall in love with it. But you could try and sit down and deconstruct it
    Oh I never said I didn't like breaking bad. But sometimes the lull between interesting parts on the 2nd watch is killer.

  11. #211
    Watchmen /grumble
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

    We see you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

  12. #212
    Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    4,886
    MASH and King of the Hill not only retained their quality as they aired but I'd say improved upon it as the years went on. KotH has a lot of humor and truths to it which I never got when I was a younger viewer and MASH, well, it's MASH.

    Even some of Dale's wild conspiracies have developed a kernel of truth within them.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2020-03-03 at 02:57 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

  13. #213
    Community.
    VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND
    MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

  14. #214
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    34,838
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Oh I never said I didn't like breaking bad. But sometimes the lull between interesting parts on the 2nd watch is killer.
    Okay...I guess I took the "it's so dull for 90% of the show" as a general dislike

  15. #215
    From memory Bojack Horseman, Breaking Bad, have some more but they're not finished yet. Never saw a show with more than 6 seasons that could avoid that.

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I think I shall add Fargo to my list - and am prepared for the people who hate season 3
    There are people who hate S3? I don't think I've seen a better performance from Ewan McGregor. Mary Winstead and David Thewlis were also fantastic.

    I'm a little worried about S4 though. Mr. Wrench won't be in it!

  17. #217
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    34,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    There are people who hate S3? I don't think I've seen a better performance from Ewan McGregor. Mary Winstead and David Thewlis were also fantastic.

    I'm a little worried about S4 though. Mr. Wrench won't be in it!
    Oh..yeah..I talked to ppl who disliked it based on Ewan McGregor playing also the bald brother (then again, those ppl took issues with the UFO in season 2) - I loved it.

  18. #218
    Quote Originally Posted by Axxil View Post
    Community.
    Are you just counting the first 3 seasons on NBC with Harmon ooooor?


    Deadwood.
    Also, any Justified fans out there? Generally speaking, I think that show improved every season (excluding the Crowe season).

  19. #219
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,145
    Haikyuu! obviously.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  20. #220
    Mechagnome sunxsera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    EU - Blackmoore
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Breaking Bad. It's one those exceptionally rare situations where it got genuinely and noticeably better with every season.
    I´d say the same. Breaking Bad comes to mind when i read the thread title.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •