Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Question [Movie] Indiana Jones 5

WHY?

Last movie was as bad as the last jedi n rise of skywoke'r combined, who wants this? who asked for this? Do they loose rights to franchise if they don't make this movie? I'm genuinly curious why this movie is being made, and is there actually a fanbase for this? I have not in years heard or read anyone say they want another indy movie..

Been a lot of news lately, so wanted to take the pulse on this... honestly why beat a dead horse...imho I would instead reboot the young indiana jones tv series instead, I liked that one and could offer more stories with good writers than this one (last?) indy film could..

Kathleen Kennedy’s Lucasfilm ruined Star Wars; What will she do to the new Indiana Jones?

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/481425-luca...na-jones-film/
    23 Feb, 2020 07:09
    By Matthew Kadish, a novelist, pop culture critic, and filmmaker from the US

Lucasfilm CEO Kathleen Kennedy’s influence is regarded by Star Wars fans as being responsible for ruining that franchise. Will her involvement in Indiana Jones lead to another beloved property being laid waste to?

This December saw the fifth film release from Lucasfilm since being acquired by Disney Studios in 2012, with Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise Of Skywalker being released to both critical and general audience disappointment. Indeed, the track record of Lucasfilm under the leadership of studio head Kathleen Kennedy has widely been regarded as a mixed bag. Though all the films produced by the studio have been box office successes, they continue with the trend of disappointing (and in some cases even angering) the fanbase for Lucasfilm’s biggest franchise.

Now that the “sequel trilogy” for Star Wars has ended, Lucasfilm is beginning to turn its focus toward other properties that are in the studio’s stable, which includes the beloved Indiana Jones franchise. Though the last installment in the series – Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull – is widely considered to be the worst of the series, there is still enough interest and good will for the Indiana Jones franchise to warrant a fifth installment, which Disney and Lucasfilm have been developing for the past few years.

Though Kathleen Kennedy has been involved in every Indiana Jones movie ever made, her duties were primarily in the producing department, where she demurred to the decisions of director Steven Spielberg and producer George Lucas – the two men primarily responsible for the creative direction of the Indiana Jones films. But with Kennedy’s rise to the head of Lucasfilm and being granted greater creative influence over the films her company produces; many are wondering how this will affect the next Indiana Jones movie.

Kennedy’s track record as a creative executive has been decidedly mixed since her appointment to the CEO position of Lucasfilm in 2012. Her Star Wars movies have almost all been plagued by production issues brought on by poor creative planning, culminating in the complete reshoot of the franchise’s biggest failure – SOLO: A Star Wars Story – in 2018. Even now, the Star Wars TV shows planned for the Disney+ streaming service are being delayed indefinitely as the producers frantically try to “fix” the stories for them. Both the Obi-Wan Kenobi and Cassian Andor shows have been pushed back as their scripts are re-worked to try and make them better.

So, the question when it comes to the upcoming fifth Indiana Jones film is: how big of a hand does Kathleen Kennedy have in its creation? Historically, the Indy films have been primarily a collaboration between George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Harrison Ford, with all three men having to agree on the creative choices before going forward. In regard to The Crystal Skull, both Spielberg and Ford famously demurred to George Lucas’ vision for the fourth film in the franchise, which produced rather unfortunate results. With George Lucas now taking a less active role in film production, that leaves the question as to whether Kathleen Kennedy will be adding her questionable creative voice to the decision-making process.

Harrison Ford has proven in recent interviews that he has little interest in many of the franchises he helped to popularize, wanting to be killed off in Star Wars so he wouldn’t have to deal with the character of Han Solo anymore. (In fact, he was the one who demanded that Han be killed off in The Force Awakens so he would not have to return for further Star Wars films.) Now in the twilight of his career, Harrison Ford, like George Lucas, seems more interested in retirement than being a leading man. Even Steven Spielberg in recent years hasn’t been able to recapture the magic of his heyday, with high-profile box-office failures such as The BFG and The Post marring his storied filmography.

There is a great deal of anxiety among the Indiana Jones fanbase that Kathleen Kennedy’s influence and the lack of passion from the original trio behind the franchise’s success will lead to another instance of one of pop culture’s most beloved properties being ruined, much like Star Wars was. With The Crystal Skull already leaving a bad taste in the fanbase’s mouth, the pressure is on the fifth Indiana Jones film to perform up to the standards set by the original three films in the franchise. But with a retired producer, an apathetic leading man, a director past his prime, and a studio head who single-handedly drove the most beloved film franchise in the world into the ground, the real question remains: Will Indiana Jones 5 be good?

Time will certainly tell. But as of now, all signs are pointing to: No.

Indiana Jones 5 Must Match Marvel, Says Harrison Ford.

https://screenrant.com/indiana-jones...harrison-ford/
    BY CHRIS AGAR FEB 24, 2020

Harrison Ford says Indiana Jones 5 must match the quality of Marvel movies in order to be successful. Since kicking off with the original Iron Man film in 2008, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has evolved from its humble beginnings to become the premier franchise in the industry. Not only is Marvel renowned for their box office prowess (Avengers: Endgame is the highest grossing film of all-time), the studio is famous for consistently delivering entertaining blockbusters that resonate with critics and audiences. None of the 24 movies release to date are rotten on Rotten Tomatoes, and 22 of them are Certified Fresh.

In the wake of the MCU's overwhelming success, several other studios attempted to develop their own shared universes, but none of them came close to replicating Marvel's results. Even WB's DC Extended Universe and Lucasfilm's master plan for annual Star Wars tentpoles faltered shortly after they started, forcing the studios to re-evaluate their strategies moving forward. Though Marvel remains king of the shared universe, other contemporary blockbusters are still looking to emulate them - just in the sense of being an exciting, fresh adventure.

Speaking with HeyUGuys while promoting his new film The Call of the Wild (which opened last week), Ford addressed the status of Indiana Jones 5. The movie, which was at one point scheduled to debut in 2019, has been delayed multiple times and gone through several rewrites. According to Ford, that's all so Steven Spielberg and company can make the best film possible, offering up surprises for the audience:

“I don’t really want to give them what they want to see, I want to give them something they didn’t anticipate. They are used to a degree of disappointment when you revisit. Certainly, the Marvel movies have made a spectacular example of a success of worked the other way around, they killed it! Well, we’re not going to make another Indiana Jones unless we are in a position to kill it. We want it to be the best. We’ve got some scheduling issues and a few script things to do but we are determined to get it right before we get it made.”

Marvel's earned criticism from some circles for their well-established formula, but there's little arguing with the results and it's easy to forget the MCU was at one point seen as an overly-ambitious experiment with little chance of working. Kevin Feige and his team definitely gave audiences something they couldn't anticipate (an interconnected long-form cinematic story that spanned more than a decade) and it's still going strong. Obviously, Indiana Jones 5 isn't going to launch a massive shared universe (though, there is the potential for future movies), so Ford is most likely referencing the spirit of Marvel and what they've been able to accomplish over the years. He doesn't want Indiana Jones 5 to be just another Indiana Jones film; he wants to enthrall audiences with something that offers up some surprises while also being the crowd-pleasing tentpole viewers know Indiana Jones to be.

Ford's commitment to "get it right" is understandable, considering the mixed reactions Kingdom of the Crystal Skull received. Spielberg is well aware some fans were disappointed by that film, and his goal is to avoid repeating the same mistake. Since this will in all likelihood be Ford's swan song as the famed archeologist (he'll be 79 when Indiana Jones 5 hits theaters), everyone involved wants to make sure it sends the character off on a high note. It'll be a challenge topping the note-perfect ending of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (which saw Indy literally ride off into the sunset), but hopefully Spielberg can come up with something special so Indiana Jones 5 is a worthy chapter in this great franchise.

I forgot spielberg directed crystal scull...so far he has fallen, doesn't make shit today...might as well have been michael bay directing the movie..

Steven Spielberg Won’t Direct ‘Indiana Jones 5,’ James Mangold in Talks to Replace (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/s...rd-1203515698/
    By ADAM B. VARY, JUSTIN KROLL and BRENT LANG

After a long development process, Steven Spielberg is handing the directing reins on “Indiana Jones 5” to another filmmaker for the first time in the franchise’s 39-year history, Variety has learned.

Sources say, while a deal hasn’t closed, “Ford v Ferrari” director James Mangold is in talks to take the job. Mangold has been put in this situation before when he took over the “Wolverine” franchise; 2017’s “Logan” was a blockbuster, grossing $619 million globally, and earning Mangold an Oscar nomination for adapted screenplay.

Spielberg will remain as a hands-on producer on “Indy 5.” According to a source close to the filmmaker, the decision to leave the director’s chair was entirely Spielberg’s, in a desire to pass along Indy’s whip to a new generation to bring their perspective to the story.

Harrison Ford, meanwhile, is still on the project. The actor recently made headlines speaking about the future of the franchise while promoting his latest film, “The Call of the Wild.” He told “CBS Sunday Morning” this month that he was “going to start doing ‘Indiana Jones’ in about two months,” and then days later told HeyUGuys that the project is still facing “scheduling issues and a few script things” and that “we’re determined to get it right before we get it made.”

When Disney first announced the new “Indiana Jones” film in 2016, with Spielberg directing and Ford starring, the studio originally slated the film to open on July 19, 2019. Then it was pushed a year to July 10, 2020, and then delayed again to July 9, 2021, when Jonathan Kasdan (son of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” scribe Lawrence Kasdan) was brought on to take a pass on the script after original screenwriter David Koepp left the project.

With a new director coming on board, the possibility that “Indy 5” will be pushed once more from its 2021 release date seems likely. Spokespeople for Spielberg and Disney declined to comment.

This was already going to be a busy year for Spielberg, who is in post-production on his new version of the classic musical “West Side Story,” which Disney will release through 20th Century Studios on Dec. 18. But the most successful director in Hollywood handing the franchise that helped define his career to another filmmaker is nonetheless a surprising development. As opposed to the other movie franchises inaugurated by Spielberg — “Jaws” and “Jurassic Park” — the filmmaker has remained in tight creative control of the “Indiana Jones” films, directing every one since “Raiders of the Lost Ark” debuted in 1981 (and earned eight Oscar nominations, including for best picture).

Still, George Lucas, who co-created Indiana Jones with Spielberg, has retired and is not expected to be officially involved with “Indy 5.” The most recent “Indy” film, 2008’s “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” was a global hit, earning $790.6 million worldwide, but it also served as an example of nostalgic excitement for the return of a beloved franchise after many years away, leading to disappointment among some fans in the final product.

One thing is clear, however: Mangold has quite a big fedora to fill.

- - - Updated - - -

George...like your drunk uncle...

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-03-02 at 07:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    rise of skywoke'r

Honest question: Do you actually think that you're being funny or clever?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I actually didn't see the 4th one but I heard its terrible. I guess its not like they can harm the franchise more and might actually surprise us.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Honest question: Do you actually think that you're being funny or clever?
    Much funnier guys out there, but got u triggered at least, but your reply is still interesting since thread is to find out if anyone here gives a shit about indiana jones anymore, you certainly don't if that's all u wanted to reply to..

Cant ruin what Spielberg and Lucas already ruined.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Much funnier guys out there, but got u triggered at least, but your reply is still interesting since thread is to find out if anyone here gives a shit about indiana jones anymore, you certainly don't if that's all u wanted to reply to..
    That's not what getting triggered is lol, I'm not upset - just curious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I actually didn't see the 4th one but I heard its terrible. I guess its not like they can harm the franchise more and might actually surprise us.
    It honestly has some decent parts, but the CG has aged very poorly and the overall plot revolving around aliens turned a lot of people off. It's cheesy as hell, but so are the others - the difference is that practical effects often lend cheesy movies some charm whereas bad CGI tends to kill them.

It honestly has some decent parts, but the CG has aged very poorly and the overall plot revolving around aliens turned a lot of people off. It's cheesy as hell, but so are the others - the difference is that practical effects often lend cheesy movies some charm whereas bad CGI tends to kill them.
    I actually enjoyed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It was just as far fetched and cheesy as the other ones and I found it entertaining. It being about aliens wasn't bad, people just didn't like it and felt it was a kind of a cop out or something. I get where they're coming from, sort of, but I think people let their apparent hate for that particular plot point cloud their judgement of the overall movie.

There's plenty of material and story left for there to be a number 5, they did set up for it at the end of the last one. If it's just as fun and entertaining as the last one it will do fine. I do hope that they return to more practical and real effects and use CGI sparingly, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I actually enjoyed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It was just as far fetched and cheesy as the other ones and I found it entertaining. It being about aliens wasn't bad, people just didn't like it and felt it was a kind of a cop out or something. I get where they're coming from, sort of, but I think people let their apparent hate for that particular plot point cloud their judgement of the overall movie.

There's plenty of material and story left for there to be a number 5, they did set up for it at the end of the last one. If it's just as fun and entertaining as the last one it will do fine. I do hope that they return to more practical and real effects and use CGI sparingly, though.
    That pretty much sums up my opinion as well. The movies were always cheesy and ridiculous, and a plot centering around aliens isn't really more far-fetched than a plot centering around the Holy Grail. A return to practical effects would be a great start.

That pretty much sums up my opinion as well. The movies were always cheesy and ridiculous, and a plot centering around aliens isn't really more far-fetched than a plot centering around the Holy Grail. A return to practical effects would be a great start.
    honestly, my problem with it wasn't the aliens as much as it felt like a nostalgia driven cash grab. I may be wrong, but it just felt like everyone was either phoning it in, or trying too hard. it was lacking... heart if that makes sense?

kinda like Mummy 3. (Mummy one and two are absolutely cheesefests, but they are fun enjoyable, heartfelt cheesefests. third? not so much)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    honestly, my problem with it wasn't the aliens as much as it felt like a nostalgia driven cash grab. I may be wrong, but it just felt like everyone was either phoning it in, or trying too hard. it was lacking... heart if that makes sense?

kinda like Mummy 3. (Mummy one and two are absolutely cheesefests, but they are fun enjoyable, heartfelt cheesefests. third? not so much)
    I feel like Brendan Fraser definitely phoned it in for Mummy 3 and I honestly don't know why Jet Li ever wanted to do that film. That said, I think the really bad writing in Mummy 3 was a big part is why it was such a downgrade from the first two of the franchise.

I absolutely loved the Indiana Jones Trilogy.

Yes, Trilogy.

4th one doesn't exist, she couldn't do a worse job.

The last Indiana Jones movie wasn't awful... it was just too... idk fucking Aliens. It started off well enough, the Atomic bomb thing was a little ridiculous but not outside the range of IJ from the past. The car chase with Shia was fantastic, pretty much everything with Shia that wasn't later in the movie was pretty fantastic. But after the Aztec temple scene, the movie devolved into Memberberries way too much and then really took a hard left with the Aliens.

But I don't want Ford involved, at least not as a lead. I'd love to see Shia continue on as Mutt Jones and maybe have Indiana either play a subdued Teacher cameo in the beginning, as in he is still in Uni and tell Mutt to have fun on the adventure. Or maybe have Ford essentially play Connery's character.

Also no more fucking Aliens. The religious stuff is great for the series, and there is plenty outside of Christianity that could be interesting for the series.

While I think it's cute that Indiana took his nickname from the dog and Mutt is just called Mutt... I think they are going to have to do something with that name, I can't take a whole movie of Mutt being the main character.

Although I'm fairly certain they won't pull in Shia to do the part again, and just fuck it all up. LaBeouf is the way forward, there really isn't another actor that is going to be able to fill this type of roll, while being serious, but still witty and sarcastic. It's kind of Tailor made for Shia.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2020-03-02 at 08:08 PM.

I feel like Brendan Fraser definitely phoned it in for Mummy 3 and I honestly don't know why Jet Li ever wanted to do that film. That said, I think the really bad writing in Mummy 3 was a big part is why it was such a downgrade from the first two of the franchise.
    and to be honest, the same kind of bad writing IMO applies to Crystal Skull. the concept was fine. but the execution was just... blah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta milk dem old IP's for nostalgia.
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

5+ Year Old Account
    any Mads fans, or Danes around that can say should we take his word seriously?

Mads Mikkelsen on the ‘Indiana Jones 5’ Script: “It Was Everything I Wished It to Be”

https://collider.com/indiana-jones-5...lsen-comments/
    BY ADAM CHITWOOD - 4 HOURS AGO

Mads Mikkelsen has almost become the go-to actor for any major franchise currently casting up right now, and it’s a testament to his talent and charm that everyone is A-OK with that. The Danish actor first broke out on the world stage in Casino Royale, but since then has added Marvel, Star Wars, and Hannibal Lecter to his resume in addition to continuing to churn out brilliant dramatic work in smaller films like the Oscar-winning Another Round.

So it came as wonderful news when Lucasfilm announced that Mikkelsen would be joining the cast of Indiana Jones 5, starring opposite Harrison Ford and Phoebe Waller-Bridge. This is the first Indiana Jones film not directed by Steven Spielberg (although he’s still producing) as Logan and Ford v. Ferrari filmmaker James Mangold is at the helm, and when Collider’s own Christina Radish spoke to Mikkelsen recently about his new film Riders of Justice, the actor had high praise for the Indiana Jones 5 script.

When asked what his reaction was to being approached to star in the new Indiana Jones movie, Mikkelsen revealed he recently went back and revisited Spielberg’s masterful Raiders of the Lost Ark:

“I’m very, very excited about it… I rewatched Raiders of the Lost Ark the other day, it is so well-done and so charming, and it’s such great storytelling. So yes it’s a great honor to be part of that franchise that I grew up with… I’m in a lucky position where they let me read the script before. And yes, it was everything I wished it to be, so that was just great.”

The actor talked about being allowed to help create his character while also generally discussing how, in the Indiana Jones franchise, Ford plays the “straight man” to more colorful characters that surround him – possibly alluding to the opportunity to have some fun with his role:

“I do think I’m invited in to create a character, I think that everybody wants that. That’s why they pick certain actors that they think can come up with certain things, and it will be a collaboration as it always is. Interesting enough, again a little like Riders of Justice, there is kind of a genre mix in Indiana Jones always. There is something that is a little larger-than-life, almost back to the 30s with a Peter Lorre kind of feel, and then you have Indiana Jones who kind of is a straight man. But he does produce a lot of funny and interesting things, but there are different character genres in some of those films.”

Indiana Jones 5 is currently casting up ahead of a production start this spring, and the film will be lensed by Mangold’s frequent cinematographer Phedon Papamichael. And in a bit of connective tissue to the previous four movies, John Williams will return to compose the score.

Look for our full interview with Mikkelsen on Collider soon.

any Mads fans, or Danes around that can say should we take his word seriously?
    I like Mads Mikkelsen but he's probably contractually obligated not to talk shit about it before it begins production.

I'm not going to worry about it. IJ4 was a bit of a train wreck partly saved by Karen Allen and Cate Blanchett. I'll walk into it with low expectations and hopefully walk out with a smile.

4 wasnt very good and I am worried 5 will be worse so if it is on par it'll be everything I hoped for--no further decline.

Dropping "lol indie is older now" jokes would go a long way too though. 4 wasn't completely irredeemable, it had some good moments.
    Last edited by Firefall; 2021-05-06 at 04:12 AM.

I'm surprised they aren't rebooting the franchise.

Loved Mads in Death Stranding. Probably one of my favourite performances. Definitely love his work as an actor.

Even if IJ5 bombs, he'll be a blast to watch.

No one asked for this dogshit. Hollywood is completely devoid of creativity and is just a woke circlejerk.

The golden era of cinema is gone. The acting, humour, nuance and themes are all gone now. I still watch the trilogy whenever it is on tv because they are just incredibly fun adventure movies with great heroes and villans.