Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    It's pretty much just a casino at this point.
    I think this sums up the thread.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    You play the role as a character and progress that character. It's definitely an RPG. Not as many role playing elements as I'd like though.
    Correct. And a lot of work is in the art and visual presentation. Don't dis the whole product because the story and quests in game don't measure up to facilitating that. Senior development chose to only focus on the gaming systems primarily, and didn't feel making sure the Role playing elements and l ore/story quest presentation was anywhere as detailed or well put together.

    That's why it seems that way.. on the one hand having incredible world zones, racial aesthetics and kit sets, but then almost zero info in gmae or expounding on that.

    It's funny how other games do this part quite well, but don't go to anywhere near the length blizzard does for the harder stuff like the art, aesthetics etc.

  3. #63
    Old God Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    10,908
    Quote Originally Posted by ano2024 View Post
    The world and characters in this game are very static. The game design in general is very lazy and lacks creativity because of the developer's cheapness.

    There's little interactivity with the world. There's little actual decisions you can make in this game.

    It's all very streamlined, you just go through a bunch of systems to acquire gear and whatnot, the same systems everybody else goes through, with no deviation or individuality or player agency at all.

    Even the "quests" aren't quests, rarely are any of them more than kill X boars and bring me their asses. Nowadays they don't even bother adding proper quest text, it's literally just 2 paragraphs full of filler sentences that boil down to "I need boar asses for this".

    So how exactly is it an RPG? Cause you level up and get xp and unlock stuff? Doesn't that make Call of Duty or Fortnite an RPG too?
    A better question, What is YOUR definition of an RPG?, and why should the rest of us accept your definition instead of the generally accepted definition?

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  4. #64
    AC Odissey is probably more rpg than wow by now, hate to repeat myself but pushing esports shit into a genre that should be about immersion in your character and the world, exploration, interactions with npcs and other players is the worst thing you could do to a rpg
    Last edited by D3athsting; 2020-03-03 at 02:17 PM.
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

  5. #65
    It's got numbers in it. It's an RPG. That's all RPG means these days.

  6. #66
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In the same urn as Vol'Jin
    Posts
    3,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Clickbait Mick View Post
    The core of an RPG is not choice, I don't know where people decided that was fact. The core of an RPG is progressing your character, and WoW has that from level 1 to max level, all the way past endgame now. Multiple systems in the game to progress in various ways. It's certainly an RPG.
    To be a true RPG, you really need both. Otherwise you're just emulating part of an RPG. But WoW does have a kind of choice - people could and can RP if they want (and on RP servers, some do). So I think WoW counts on both. It just doesn't have choice that's related to content stories and so on, but that's fine. The reason choice is important is because CRPGs and MMORPGs evolved from actual TT RPGs, where choice is far more significant than character progression (indeed in a lot of TT RPGs characters might not "progress" much at all, in a few they might even endure permanent setbacks).

    WoW evolved from EQ, which was essentially trying to be an amazing 3D MUD, and MUDs were trying to emulate that TT experience, just online. WoW focused much more on the game-oriented elements of EQ than the lore/RP/etc. though, and really set the tone for all MMORPGs that came after it. If you look at pre-WoW MMORPGs there tends to be much stronger support for "going your own way" and RPing in general (which, back then, was generally not ERP lol).

    Quote Originally Posted by Clickbait Mick View Post
    Besides, if the measuring stick we're using is choice, then WoW was never an RPG, so I don't get your point regardless. Classic/BC/Wrath were premium theme park experiences.
    Yeah this is definitely true. If that kind of choice - story choice - defines RPGs, then WoW never was an RPG.

  7. #67
    It is more of an Action RPG than anything now but still an RPG by definition.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I think this sums up the thread.
    It leans more towards mobile game for it's reward systems.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - let's get real everyone, classic needs #somechanges get over it.

  8. #68
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In the same urn as Vol'Jin
    Posts
    3,500
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    AC Odissey is probably more rpg than wow by now, hate to repeat myself but pushing esports shit into a genre that should be about immersion in your character and the world, exploration, interactions with npcs and other players is the worst thing you could do to a rpg
    AC Odyssey is more of an RPG than most games that actively label themselves RPGs. It's surprisingly close to The Witcher 3 in "RPG-ness". All they need to do is add companions/a party and it'd be full-on RPG territory, whatever genre it labels itself.

    So that's not exactly a low bar.

    Re: esports, welcome to 2008, when that happened. It was 12 years ago dude.

  9. #69
    The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    21,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Based on that definition the vast majority of video games would be considered RPGs. No, clearly just playing a character is not the defining part of what makes a game an RPG. Choice is indeed what differentiates playing a character in say Baldur's Gate vs playing a character in Super Smash Bros or playing as 007 in Goldeneye. WoW has some RPG elements in so far as you're playing a character through a narrative and you can KINDA make choices in how you progress, but as is the case in MMO's those choices are very limited. It's RPG lite at best.
    You are not playing as that smash Bros charecter for an extensive amount of time.
    A role playing game is as simple as you play the role of a charecter, usually this entails some small amount of customization. Like the oldest of RPGs the only choice was gear.

    Look to super Mario RPG. You had your party, you had your abilities, your choice in customization was what gear you wore.

    It's as simple as that. Undertale is an rpg. Yet the only. Choice of customization outside of story is a fake name. What weapon. And what armor.

    Rpg is one of the if not the most lose genre, as you said. Yes any game where you play as one charecter for a long time could be an rpg. As you are immersing yourself filling in that role to the charecter. By design you are roleplaying that you are that charecter.

  10. #70
    There are numerous RPG sub genres each vastly different from each other. Claiming WoW is not a RPG because it doesn’t fit your preferred model is ignorant and egocentric.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    With that logic Call of Duty and its multiplayer component is an RPG.

    And we all know that call of duty isn't considered an RPG.
    With that logic Mass Effect is strictly a shooter.
    Last edited by Clone; 2020-03-03 at 05:10 PM.

  11. #71
    A Turtle Made It to the Water.

  12. #72
    Of course it can. It doesn't mean that the RPG elements are well-done, but they are there. If only the devs decided to actually have the story drive the events and not have the story try to catch up to their 'cool, sensational ideas and systems', our perception of the product being good and well put together and thought out would increase by a ridiculously high margin.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by ano2024 View Post
    The world and characters in this game are very static. The game design in general is very lazy and lacks creativity because of the developer's cheapness.

    There's little interactivity with the world. There's little actual decisions you can make in this game.

    It's all very streamlined, you just go through a bunch of systems to acquire gear and whatnot, the same systems everybody else goes through, with no deviation or individuality or player agency at all.

    Even the "quests" aren't quests, rarely are any of them more than kill X boars and bring me their asses. Nowadays they don't even bother adding proper quest text, it's literally just 2 paragraphs full of filler sentences that boil down to "I need boar asses for this".

    So how exactly is it an RPG? Cause you level up and get xp and unlock stuff? Doesn't that make Call of Duty or Fortnite an RPG too?
    I feel like this thread is just a bait, but I'll bite anyway.

    All of the things you listed have been true since the original release of WoW:

    "Interactivity with the world" - There is arguably more now than there has been in the past (choosing to side with Sylvanas/Saurfang etc.)
    "Go through a bunch of systems to acquire gear and whatnot" - This has always been the case
    "Rarely are any of the mmore than kill X boars" - This has always been the case though we definitely have more variety now than in the past.

    With all of the above being the case, is your question whether or not WoW has ever been enough of an RPG to be an RPG? If so, I'll still argue yes, you choose your character, your class, your spec, you choose your talents and you choose which of the systems you want to go through (PvP, raiding, dungeons) to progress your character. Could it have more flexibility and decision making? Sure.

    If that's not your question and that you're arguing that WoW was an RPG but has declined in recent years and is now no longer an RPG then I think you're willfully ignoring the fact that the things you complained about have been the case forever and you've just moved the bar personally.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    You are not playing as that smash Bros charecter for an extensive amount of time.
    A role playing game is as simple as you play the role of a charecter, usually this entails some small amount of customization. Like the oldest of RPGs the only choice was gear.

    Look to super Mario RPG. You had your party, you had your abilities, your choice in customization was what gear you wore.

    It's as simple as that. Undertale is an rpg. Yet the only. Choice of customization outside of story is a fake name. What weapon. And what armor.

    Rpg is one of the if not the most lose genre, as you said. Yes any game where you play as one charecter for a long time could be an rpg. As you are immersing yourself filling in that role to the charecter. By design you are roleplaying that you are that charecter.
    Well, there’s a difference between RP as a game mechanic and RPG as a game genre. I wouldn’t say time is a deciding factor since a game like Goldeneye, where you play as Bond the whole game, would not be considered an RPG.

    WoW is indeed an MMORPG, so it’s right there in the name. It’s an RPG. I think the question that the OP was really getting at was how strong are the RP elements, and in that respect I’d say they’re pretty light compared to (what I would consider) true video game RPGs like BG, Elder Scrolls, KoToR, etc. Games where you have more agency over your character other than “attack or don’t attack”.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by ano2024 View Post
    The world and characters in this game are very static. The game design in general is very lazy and lacks creativity because of the developer's cheapness.

    There's little interactivity with the world. There's little actual decisions you can make in this game.

    It's all very streamlined, you just go through a bunch of systems to acquire gear and whatnot, the same systems everybody else goes through, with no deviation or individuality or player agency at all.

    Even the "quests" aren't quests, rarely are any of them more than kill X boars and bring me their asses. Nowadays they don't even bother adding proper quest text, it's literally just 2 paragraphs full of filler sentences that boil down to "I need boar asses for this".

    So how exactly is it an RPG? Cause you level up and get xp and unlock stuff? Doesn't that make Call of Duty or Fortnite an RPG too?
    It's a massively multi-player online casino

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    It's got numbers in it. It's an RPG. That's all RPG means these days.
    Actual stat numbers have been dumbed down over time.
    So dummy rpg?
    No customization rpg?
    Casino rpg?

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    With that logic Call of Duty and its multiplayer component is an RPG.

    And we all know that call of duty isn't considered an RPG.
    If it has items that improve your character that you earn, it's at least a rudimentary RPG. Welcome to homogenization.

  17. #77
    I'm not sure if this thread is filled with gamer elitism or not.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill yourself -updated 3/7/2020

  18. #78
    I get that people are unhappy with the game currently, but people really are stretching for reasons to justify WHY they are unhappy.

    I have played since day 1 and never expected much of an RPG, at least not in the traditional sense.

  19. #79
    Nah, it's a Racing game now.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Sigh...what is with people here and trying to create reasons that X isn't a Y anymore

    sigh what's next "Hearthstone isn't a card game because the RNG is beyond shuffling the deck", "Overwatch isn't a shooter because of the reliance of Melee in the metagame" "Pokemon isn't a Monster Battle RPG because THERES CURRY"

    the travesty...

    by all technicalitys Wow can be an RPG, an action game, or the worlds most expensive version of AOL instant Messenger for all I care...
    Sigh...I hate when people sigh in text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •