Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Terrible characters from great shows.

A follow-up to my "Terrible episodes of great shows" thread.

Even great shows can have characters that bring the rest of the show down, whether it's because of the character's actions, the character's actor/actress, or the character is just plain annoying. Who are some such characters?

Wesley from ST: TNG.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    do terrible characters who later became good characters count? because if that is the case then Carl from The Walking Dead (seasons 1-2) is definitely a contender. if not him, then his mother Lori.

Walter's wife in breaking bad ...

5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    Edie Williams in Desperate Housewives
    Last edited by Donatello Trumpi; 2020-04-26 at 01:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Euron Greyjoy in Game of Thrones. It was an error to introduce that character so late in the show, and that version had nothing to do with the sinister, sadistic and sorcerous Euron from the books. He was just a boisterous, bragging, over-the-top buffoon. He would have made the Pirate King in Pirates of Penzance exclaim "Hey, mellow down, old chap!"
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Swiftwind in She-Ra: Princesses of Power. It's literally a sliding scale of "the less he talks, the better the season is."

It's one of my favorite heavily character-driven shows, but just has that one outlier I can't stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Any human whatsoever from any Transformers show/movie,all of them would have been so much better as purely Autobot vs Decepticon,still waiting for a Rise of Megatron/Fall of Cybertron mini series done entirely in CGI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alduron View Post
    Wesley from ST: TNG.
    And along those same lines, Jake Sisko from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. The writers just have no idea what to do with him and in trying really hard to avoid making him another Wesley, i.e. a wonder kid who is good at everything, they made him good at nothing and totally useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Euron Greyjoy in Game of Thrones. It was an error to introduce that character so late in the show, and that version had nothing to do with the sinister, sadistic and sorcerous Euron from the books. He was just a boisterous, bragging, over-the-top buffoon. He would have made the Pirate King in Pirates of Penzance exclaim "Hey, mellow down, old chap!"
    I'd say GoT was no longer a "great show" by the time Euron was introduced.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always hated Gil from The Simpsons, he just seemed like a hastily slapped together uninteresting replacement character after Phil Hartman was murdered. Of course Frank Grimes is even worse.
    /s

Kima in the Wire.

We get it, you're tough.

And Debra Morgan in Dexter. God she was annoying.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

People love to hate on Skyler, but she's actually the hero of the show along with Hank.

As for myself, I really dislike many of the characters from The Walking Dead. I wouldn't call TWD a great show, but I really enjoyed the first season. Shane was my favourite character. Then a certain season premiere just gave me a reason to cut the show entirely.

OH, and I don't like Lucas in Stranger Things in the first season. They made him too obstinate, they could hardly have a single moment without him being there taking it into a conflict, however small.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    People love to hate on Skyler, but she's actually the hero of the show along with Hank.

As for myself, I really dislike many of the characters from The Walking Dead. I wouldn't call TWD a great show, but I really enjoyed the first season. Shane was my favourite character. Then a certain season premiere just gave me a reason to cut the show entirely.

OH, and I don't like Lucas in Stranger Things in the first season. They made him too obstinate, they could hardly have a single moment without him being there taking it into a conflict, however small.
    Skyler and Hank are not the heroes.

Hank you could maybe argue if it wasnt so blinded by family but defiantly not Skyler. She joins in and helps with the crime

Quote Originally Posted by LoLcano View Post
    Skylar was a very realistic character. I am always fascinated by A) how much people loved Walter White so damn much no matter what he did, and B) blamed his wife and thought she was horrible for......yanno.....being upset at his decisions.

Walter White was not only a bad guy and a criminal, but a lousy husband and father. She had every right to be upset.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Skylar was a very realistic character. I am always fascinated by A) how much people loved Walter White so damn much no matter what he did, and B) blamed his wife and thought she was horrible for......yanno.....being upset at his decisions.

Walter White was not only a bad guy and a criminal, but a lousy husband and father. She had every right to be upset.
    She helped develop the illegal businesses lol....

And people like Walter because of the performance. No one says he was in the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    She helped develop the illegal businesses lol....
    She joined him because she was super afraid for him, herself, and her family. How long did that last? Not long at all. And like a real person, she was wracked with guilt for it constantly until she broke down, which led directly to the "I am the one who knocks" scene.

She's a great character, and a perfect counterbalance to Walter White.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LoLcano View Post
    I knew this would be on the front page.

Interesting how one of the most reasonable characters are hated the most.
    Hi

She joined him because she was super afraid for him, herself, and her family. How long did that last? Not long at all. And like a real person, she was wracked with guilt for it constantly until she broke down, which led directly to the "I am the one who knocks" scene.

And instead of getting a divorce and moving the family away from her dangerous husband she has an affair with her co worker. So strong.

Also you missed a lot of the subtleties of the character if you feel she was innocent. She hated the mundane aspects of white picket fence living so she encourages his behavior but nags the whole time and her lack of pride conflicts with Walter who has too much pride and eggs him on even more

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Skyler and Hank are not the heroes.

Hank you could maybe argue if it wasnt so blinded by family but defiantly not Skyler. She joins in and helps with the crime
    I'll take, people not understanding what they're watching for 600, Alex.

Seriously. Reluctantly doing it for the protection of her husband and children =/= doing it for ego and out of greed like Walt. Even the writer of the show himself was shocked at just how far people supported Walt's decisions whilst hating on anyone disagreeing, aka, Skyler.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed.

More and more people are coming around to this upon viewing the show more than once, but some are still as fevered in their defense of Walt as ever.