Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Get in your 10k steps/walk 2 hours each day and consider a fasting-day in your week where you'll just be running on water and nothing else. It may be hard but it's a simple and effective method to help you focus on your body and diet the rest of the week.
    Hit the gym if you're up for it. Every little helps when it all adds up.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2020-03-07 at 03:25 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoholist View Post
    You can eat vegetables for fibers and vitamins, without the sugar and excessive pricing.

Matter of fact is that most overweight people just have to kick their sugar addiction.

Why is fruit recommended? So the 1% can make money off of impressionable people by selling fruit for ridiculous prices.
    sugar in general is not evil. too much refined sugar is. fruit is great because it helps to deal with sweet tooth cravings, thus reducing stress and cortisol that comes with it - without the negatives of something like soda etc. there is no evil conspiracy about fruit. apples for example are far cheaper per pound and more nutritionally dense per volume then something like kale or most greens really (not that I'm saying one shouldn't eat greens and they contain somewhat different elements anyways, so they are complimentary - just if you are going to bring up expenses...) in fact, a lot of fruit is pretty inexpensive, unless you start heading into exotic or way out of season territory - in that case veggies are just as expensive. btw, technically tomato is fruit, just an aside.

to OP, to reiterate, since more advice on "quickly" was posted. please. don't. will the advice work? yes. will it be healthy and sustainable? questionable.

in the end it comes down to finding things to eat that make your body feel good. (and by good i mean - you have energy, your digestion is good, your stomach is not heavy and you are not walking around so hungry, that all you can think of is next meal) try different whole foods for a week or two and if they don't agree with you - that's fine, try something else. if your body handles them well - awesome. just try to make sure that within what you eat - you are still maintaining good protein and micro-nutrient intake.

and here is another one. don't worry as much about what your scale says as what your measuring tape says. muscle weights more then fat, so if you stop losing pouds for a while, but still losing inches? you are STILL MAKING PROGRESS.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2020-03-07 at 04:10 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    Don't worry as much about what your scale says as what your measuring tape says. muscle weights more then fat, so if you stop losing pouds for a while, but still losing inches? you are STILL MAKING PROGRESS.
    Sorry to come in all negative, but this really isn't true. Muscle weighs around 10% more than fat, per volume, and packs on slowly. If you're gaining muscle at the same rate as you're losing weight, that means you're eating enough calories to outpace the added caloric cost of building muscle, this is counterproductive to the goal. It means you're losing weight incredibly slowly or not at all and need to reevaluate what you're doing.

OP, there's no magic in keto, low carb, high carb, carnivor, vegan, paleo, intermittent fasting, whatever. They're all tools that can help you eat fewer calories, but that's all there is to it (barring food allergies and IBS). Pick one, or none, whatever appeals to you enough to stick to a caloric deficit.

There's no fooling the body, starvation mode isn't a thing, "cheat days" don't reset your digestion or whatever, they're just helpful mentally.

It's all calories. Figure out which method sounds appealing to you, because none of them hold some secret to cheat the body or thermodynamics. Losing weight takes time, watch the scale on timescales of weeks not days.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    What is starvation mode?

I'll take basic shit morons still don't understand for 400 Alex.
    Studies do not support the existence of starvation mode, nor does the experience of people who are successful in losing weight, or of body-builders who make going up and down in weight both a sport and a science.
    It's been studied and tried to death, it's not a thing. The few studies that claim to have found something show results so small that the amount of calories "starvation mode" saves you is about the same amount you burn thinking about it for a minute. It's a harmful myth.
    Last edited by Revi; 2020-03-07 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Sorry to come in all negative, but this really isn't true. Muscle weighs around 10% more than fat, per volume, and packs on slowly. If you're gaining muscle at the same rate as you're losing weight, that means you're eating enough calories to outpace the added caloric cost of building muscle, this is counterproductive to the goal. It means you're losing weight incredibly slowly or not at all and need to reevaluate what you're doing.

OP, there's no magic in keto, low carb, high carb, carnivor, vegan, paleo, intermittent fasting, whatever. They're all tools that can help you eat fewer calories, but that's all there is to it (barring food allergies and IBS). Pick one, or none, whatever appeals to you enough to stick to a caloric deficit.

There's no fooling the body, starvation mode isn't a thing, "cheat days" don't reset your digestion or whatever, they're just helpful mentally.

It's all calories. Figure out which method sounds appealing to you, because none of them hold some secret to cheat the body or thermodynamics. Losing weight takes time, watch the scale on timescales of weeks not days.

Studies do not support the existence of starvation mode, nor does the experience of people who are successful in losing weight, or of body-builders who make going up and down in weight both a sport and a science.
    It's been studied and tried to death, it's not a thing. The few studies that claim to have found something show results so small that the amount of calories "starvation mode" saves you is about the same amount you burn thinking about it for a minute. It's a harmful myth.
    except studies literally do support existence of starvation mode, assuming we are defining starvation mode correctly as metabolic adaptation (which is what it actualy is).

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1002/oby.21538

that is NOT a small result.

and just to be clear, small calorie deficit will NOT put you in starvation mode and small calorie deficit IS needed to lose weight, however. cutting too drastically too quickly? THAT is a problem. you cut too many calories all at once and keep cutting long enough? your body is going to adopt and slow down. and just like taking off weight is harder then putting it on? resetting your metabolism is harder and takes longer, then it does to mess it up.

personaly I'm not a fan of cheat days. yeah, they seem to work for some people, but I feel like it elevates food you eat on cheat days to this ridiculous, desirable heights that makes you more likely to binge and genuinely ruin your progress. me I'm more of a fan of "if you really would like some ice cream - make room for it in your meal plan and have a little. and none of that fat free crap either, a scoop of really good ice cream that you enjoy slowly" if you don't feel like you have to wait a whole week for it, you are less likely to binge. one caveat being full blown refined sugar addiction, in which case - go AA on that bastard and NEVER have any, no cheat days either.

I do vehemently agree that weight loss takes time. it SHOULD take time if done healthy. and yes, scale differences if done healthy will show up in terms of weeks, not days. if you are losing significant weight each day, you are doing it wrong and you WILL suffer consequences of it long term. among other things rapid weight loss was linked to increased, not decreased rates of cancer mainly by stressing your body so much, its more susceptible.

ultimate goal should be health not arbitrary number on a scale within limited amount of time. if it takes you longer, but its sustainable for the rest of your life? better option then jumping on fad diets and cutting too many calories only to regain it all back. there is NOTHING WRONG with slow weight loss if its sustainable. its not about how quickly you get there.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of think about in here. Thank you everyone for your advice. I think I'd rather do it slow and steady so that I can minimize excess skin. Idk if it's possible for someone my size to lose 150 to 200 be pounds and not have a bunch of skin anyways, but I'm willing to give it a shot. My biggest fear is how bad I'll look at the beach with all of that extra skin hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Just don't eat. That's all it takes. Your body will eat itself. You will be in pain but you'll get used to it.
    This is not good advice since the body will go into starvation mode which means lowered metabolism and the body storing anything that is eaten. the best advice is small amounts of food throughout the day to keep up the metabolism and counting calories to make a goal of 2-3 pounds a week. any more than 3 pounds a week will cause the starvation response by the body which means you will have less energy for work and more likely that you will give up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    A lot of think about in here. Thank you everyone for your advice. I think I'd rather do it slow and steady so that I can minimize excess skin. Idk if it's possible for someone my size to lose 150 to 200 be pounds and not have a bunch of skin anyways, but I'm willing to give it a shot. My biggest fear is how bad I'll look at the beach with all of that extra skin hanging.
    Being dead doesn't make for a very good beach body either, try to focus on how much better you feel as you lose the weight and what to do and what to avoid to keep that direction up. Keep a belief going daily that you have already done a LOT towards a reasonable goal weight and don't give up that belief for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    This is not good advice since the body will go into starvation mode which means lowered metabolism and the body storing anything that is eaten. the best advice is small amounts of food throughout the day to keep up the metabolism and counting calories to make a goal of 2-3 pounds a week. any more than 3 pounds a week will cause the starvation response by the body which means you will have less energy for work and more likely that you will give up.
    Every body is different. We know very little about weight gain. Don't discount my success because it doesn't make sense to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Then go ahead and explain to me why I was gaining weight eating ~900 calories a day. Go ahead. If you can't, then fuck off.

Also to add I was working a job where I was on my feet and walking ~3 miles a day from it (I installed an app on my phone that counted steps), and was walking to and from my job which was another mile and a half added on.

And to double add on, once I got on keto and stopped restricting myself to ~900 calories, I reached a point where I was eating over 2500 and losing half a pound a day minimum. Again, I want you to explain that if starvation mode is just bs, because I literally lived it. My ex mocked me constantly as being "the only anorexic fat guy in the world".
    I can't explain that, you're a scientific marvel and should have contacted your local university so that they could study you because that's quite literally unbelievable.

Seriously though, even if you go with the study Witchblade linked above which has 14 subjects doing extreme weightloss, and shows caloric adaptations far greater than any other study and common experiences, even that study doesn't support anything like what you're describing.

The only reasonable explanation is that your calorie count was off.

I recently found out about this and thought it was quite inspiring. Hope it helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Start off with small steps/goals. They will be the core to staying focused and content in your journey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most say I should be eating 2800cal to lose 2 pounds, around 1kg a week. Meanwhile I've heard people saying I should cut back to like anywhere from 1400 to 1900cal.
    No one can say how much you should eat, simply we don't know how much you work out.

But a simply rule of thumb: To burn a kg of body fat, you need to exercise 7000kcal. i.e. If you are 1000kcal in deficit every day for a week, you will loose 1kg of body fat (that week). 500kcal in deficit per day = ½kg per week. REGARDLESS of your activity level.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

What is starvation mode?

I'll take basic shit morons still don't understand for 400 Alex.
    nothing.

all the bs about metabilism slowing down etc etc when you starve yuurself are true only if you are a bit chubby.

if you are a 180kg monster then ofc drastic calory loss will work wonders.

the thing is it wont be healthy as it will put huge strain on your organs . much healtheir is working out and cutting down calories intake to reasonable levels.

Dropped from 280ish to 180ish in a tad over a year accidentally doing basically keto along with very roughly watching my calorie count.

Meats, greens, and small amounts of fruit.

Salad every day for lunch during the week. As much meat and greens/veggies as I want for dinner. I would not say I was 100% doing keto as I would eat a granola bar or something that had carbs for breakfast and my salads sometimes had toppings that would not classify as keto. I also was often doing lean meats like salmon or chicken. Involved basically zero cheating on sugary foods or goodies at work for roughly 1 year.

Biggest thing for me was that I always allowed myself to basically eat or drink whatever I wanted on Saturdays, with a slightly less restrictive day on Sundays. Every week I was planning what I wanted to eat on Saturday. It gave me something to look forward to as I said no to everything else during the week. I am a bit more balanced now, as I am not trying to lose weight anymore...but I still kinda plan Saturdays as my guilt free day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    how big dick are you willing to go.

4 months of sub 20 carb diet would probably lose you 60 pounds alone

Add 45 minute exercise daily i bet itd go to 100

lol, good times.

if you do keto, once you are in full ketosis you are constantly thirsty and have to piss ever 45minutes.

you literally piss out the weight.
    Not actually true. You breathe out more weight than you piss out.

I don't have the funds to go to the doctor right now and make too much to get state health care. Looking for some simple advice on some things.

I am a 28 male 5 foot 11 360 pounds. In metric that is 180cm and 163kg.

I have looked at a lot of fitness apps and weight/ calorie counters and need advice on whether you trust them or not.

Most say I should be eating 2800cal to lose 2 pounds, around 1kg a week. Meanwhile I've heard people saying I should cut back to like anywhere from 1400 to 1900cal. I have tried 1800 and lost 30 pounds on it but have plateaued around 356 to 365 pounds up and down even though I am sticking closely to it. I have read that for someone my size I might be starving myself at 1800 and that is the reason I'm not losing. I do still feel fairly hungry throughout the day at 1800 Cal.

My question is, are the weight loss calculators correct and should I be eating upwards of 2800cal, or could there be some other reason that I'm not losing? I do still eat some bread and sugar, but I have incorporated a lot more lean protein, fruits and veggies into my diet to no avail.
    My Advice is nothing to do with specific diet changes:

I suggest reading/listening to two books, The Willpower Instinct and The Power of Habit.

I also suggest that you forget about "quick" weight loss solutions. Find lifestyle changes you can see yourself keeping for 3+ years. Work towards a slower weight loss than makes headlines and you are far more likely to keep it off.

Discipline is key. I also suggest calorie counting for at least 3 months. Track everything and be honest with yourself; remove any guilt or shame, just focus on fixing your house. I learned that I really have no idea how much I was actually eating. Peanut butter is a great example, what looks like 1-2 tbls can easily be 3-4 and and 400 calories.

Oh, and cook 80% of your meals if you can. Cook, measure, weigh (get a food scale), track.
    The 100% best way to stay on track is meal prepping (this goes back to the willpower book), pre-prepared food is a defense against your future self making a bad choice.

Final Note:
    I feel like getting into cooking is key. There is a WHOLE world of culinary variety out there! Weight loss is literally as boring or tasty as you want it to be. And when you start looking into substitutions, you'll be shocked by how big your meals can be. I've a 380cal Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti dish that was too much for me to finish, the same dish would have been 700 calories with regular spaghetti noodles.

Edit: I guess I should mention that I lost 90lbs doing this. Allowed myself bacon+eggs every morning to control flavor cravings, healthy meal prepping, and 1 meal "out" with friends a week. Also got into exercise, started the Couch-to-5K, then HIIT, and now weights. It was definitely a learning process that took the first year to really understand.
    Last edited by Nynax; 2020-03-10 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    Not actually true. You breathe out more weight than you piss out.
    explains the shit breath lol

but seriously though. yes you need to be in a calorie deficit. but what i'm trying to stress here is

its much easier to be in calorie deficit and NOT feel like you are starving if you are eating whole, minimally processed (and by that i mean just generally cooked) foods. just by sheer volume of food to calorie ratio.

there are 270 calories in a serving of twinkies. you eat them, and you are going to feel sugar rush, sugar crash and STILL feel hungry as if you haven't eaten anything at all. and as far as essential nutrients go? you haven't

there are 278 calories in this overnight oats recipe for example https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/reci...p?recipe=59452 but not only it will be far more satiating, it's also far more nutritious and keeps you full longer.

what you put into your body - matters. its not all calorie cutting when it comes down to practical and SUSTAINABLE rather then theoretical. its making sure your body's needs are filled while you do it.

15+ Year Old Account
    is there a way to lose weight while still drinking alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    yes. drink less of it.

This guy talks about managing loose skin: https://youtu.be/xvxo77kSsjM

Basic take away is to moisturize areas of concern. Daily lotion, moisturizing body washes, w/e. It takes time, but you can focus on having healthier skin and improving its "elasticity."

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    Depends what you drink, and how much. I used to drink cider, which I know isn't all that great for you with all the sulphates and sugar it has. But since I went on a diet I now drink white rum with sparkling flavoured water which is delicious and a little healthier. I only drink twice a week, which is what I was doing anyway before so I can still drink and lose weight, and so can you.