Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Was I the only one who was thinking this thread was going to be about Cannibalism/Soilent Green? >.>

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    I'd recommend watching Altered Carbon...some of this (mostly the last part) is an underlying story in that series.

    I disagree with the analogy that humans are bred in the same way cows have been bred. We aren't breeding people to be specifically anything in particular. And, in general, people on average are smarter now than they were a couple hundred years ago.
    I mean, from what little I've seen, the general Human Male impetus and standards for breeding tend to be based on a lesser known theorem known as the "Dayum! Bitch be bangin'!" principle.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Apparently eugenics is a bad thing or something.
    Certain aspects definitely can be bad(such as euthanasia/social stigmatization of humans with undesirable physical traits). Picking and choosing your partner based on superior genetics isn't, for one.

    Basically, eugenics is fine as long as it doesn't result in flagrant abuses of human rights.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    With growing inequality this poses the danger that at some point the elites might bio-engineer and AI-enhance themselves up to the point that common Homo Sapiens will be regarded as useless vermin. (Offering no benefit as resource or labor to the Homo Deus elites).

    This is currently predicted to be the future we are trending towards by various studies... is it too late to prevent this?
    It is not only too late, it is impossible to prevent this. It's also not necessary to bio-engineer yourself to regard others as useless vermin.

    However, knowing that it is impossible to prevent this, and knowing what ultimately causes it, allows the resourceful to figure out a way to survive.

  4. #44
    Most people are incapable of thinking much more than a couple of hours ahead, much less years or decades. Eliminating heritable genetic disorders via eugenics would benefit countless potential future humans (not even billions of tens of billions - we are talking trillions here) because they would never have to suffer from those disorders. But people will always bring up as "MUH people of color, MUH sexism" because they themselves are the ones who are racist and sexist and can't see past the surface level and realize that eugenics is much more than just an attempt to abuse it to create a "master race". The only ones who would suffer are the people with those disorders because they wouldn't be allowed to reproduce. But is is that much less humane than knowingly giving birth to children who will suffer from the same bullshit as you just because you want to be a parent?

  5. #45
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    21,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Most people are incapable of thinking much more than a couple of hours ahead, much less years or decades. Eliminating heritable genetic disorders via eugenics would benefit countless potential future humans (not even billions of tens of billions - we are talking trillions here) because they would never have to suffer from those disorders. But people will always bring up as "MUH people of color, MUH sexism" because they themselves are the ones who are racist and sexist and can't see past the surface level and realize that eugenics is much more than just an attempt to abuse it to create a "master race". The only ones who would suffer are the people with those disorders because they wouldn't be allowed to reproduce. But is is that much less humane than knowingly giving birth to children who will suffer from the same bullshit as you just because you want to be a parent?
    Hu, riddle me this eugenics mastermind, how can one, no billions, no tens of billions, no no trillions benefit from something when they are never born?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

  6. #46
    Banned Rochana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Posts
    4,483
    I was somewhat boggled with how people were drawing connections to the darker side of eugenics, but I understand now with the latest few posts...

    What is more notable to me is the conclusion drawn that humans today show traits of a domesticated animal. Is that a good or a bad thing? I personally feel a bit insulted to be compared with cattle, but part of it must be true. Over countless generations of authoritarian rule the rebeliousness and wild streak that opposses oppression must've been bred out of humans on some level.

    Are we too docile? Too tame? Too complacent?

    Is this why we still have elites, why we permit the super-wealthy to keep their secretive pedo-rings, why we tolerate cunts in the White House without doing anything about it? Why so many people state that we should be nice and obedient to abusive policemen to avoid the abuse?

    Sometimes I regard my fellow human beings and wonder jusylt how domesticated they are. Should I listen to the morals of the herd?

    What else is out there?

  7. #47
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    14,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Most people are incapable of thinking much more than a couple of hours ahead, much less years or decades. Eliminating heritable genetic disorders via eugenics would benefit countless potential future humans (not even billions of tens of billions - we are talking trillions here) because they would never have to suffer from those disorders. But people will always bring up as "MUH people of color, MUH sexism" because they themselves are the ones who are racist and sexist and can't see past the surface level and realize that eugenics is much more than just an attempt to abuse it to create a "master race". The only ones who would suffer are the people with those disorders because they wouldn't be allowed to reproduce. But is is that much less humane than knowingly giving birth to children who will suffer from the same bullshit as you just because you want to be a parent?
    Wait why did you bring up sexism or people of colour? Would people of colour not get a say or something? Would only one gender get a say in breeding out disorders?

    Not trying to accuse you of any thing just curious.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Wait why did you bring up sexism or people of colour? Would people of colour not get a say or something? Would only one gender get a say in breeding out disorders?

    Not trying to accuse you of any thing just curious.
    Whenever eugenics are brought up people automatically assume that it's a codeword for the extermination of all ethnicities other than the nordic / germanic phenotype

  9. #49
    I don't think we'll get there until we're doing genetically modified babies, and I expect that to take a while due to the many movies we've had on why that's not necessarily a good idea, much like robots with humanlike intelligence.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Most people are incapable of thinking much more than a couple of hours ahead, much less years or decades. Eliminating heritable genetic disorders via eugenics would benefit countless potential future humans (not even billions of tens of billions - we are talking trillions here) because they would never have to suffer from those disorders. But people will always bring up as "MUH people of color, MUH sexism" because they themselves are the ones who are racist and sexist and can't see past the surface level and realize that eugenics is much more than just an attempt to abuse it to create a "master race". The only ones who would suffer are the people with those disorders because they wouldn't be allowed to reproduce. But is is that much less humane than knowingly giving birth to children who will suffer from the same bullshit as you just because you want to be a parent?
    I'm mainly concerned about sickle cell, as an example. Terrible disorder, yet strangely makes the inheritor resistant to malaria, which is also terrible.

    We tried to breed the perfect potato, or the perfect banana, and then had just that in massive fields, and then came the blights.

    If we restrict our genetic diversity, that's a very real threat to consider. It's certainly something we should only do once we have a very, very thorough understanding of what the things we're changing do.

    - - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by Daevelian View Post
    So this is how far the Lore forum has fallen? Eesh.
    I take it back, BfA is not the lowest the games lore could have gone, this thread proves that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    And just like the thread before it, let's back away from sexualizing Azshara and return to the original topic at hand.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    What is more notable to me is the conclusion drawn that humans today show traits of a domesticated animal. Is that a good or a bad thing? I personally feel a bit insulted to be compared with cattle, but part of it must be true. Over countless generations of authoritarian rule the rebeliousness and wild streak that opposses oppression must've been bred out of humans on some level.

    Are we too docile? Too tame? Too complacent?
    To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated.
    ~~Trefor Thomas

  11. #51
    Eugenics.. ooh shivers.. something with the nazis.

    On a more serious notes: eugenics (or unnatural selection) has been a thing for the past tenthousands of years and isnt a bad thing. It makes us the species we are now, weaker and less hairy than our ancestors, but alot more equipped with social learning capabilities. Which, you can look up, is one of the few things we actually do better than chimps regarding our brains.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    I was somewhat boggled with how people were drawing connections to the darker side of eugenics, but I understand now with the latest few posts...

    What is more notable to me is the conclusion drawn that humans today show traits of a domesticated animal. Is that a good or a bad thing? I personally feel a bit insulted to be compared with cattle, but part of it must be true. Over countless generations of authoritarian rule the rebeliousness and wild streak that opposses oppression must've been bred out of humans on some level.

    Are we too docile? Too tame? Too complacent?

    Is this why we still have elites, why we permit the super-wealthy to keep their secretive pedo-rings, why we tolerate cunts in the White House without doing anything about it? Why so many people state that we should be nice and obedient to abusive policemen to avoid the abuse?

    Sometimes I regard my fellow human beings and wonder jusylt how domesticated they are. Should I listen to the morals of the herd?

    What else is out there?
    Recent theories show our domesticated nature makes us more social and prone to collaboration. Its also shown people are inheredtly good, but the excesses get shown on tv which causes alot of people to believe people are inheredtly rotten and theres just a thin layer of civilisation that would crumble under any hardship.

    That worldview is what makes 90% of the rules and institutions we have in place necessary. So question yourself this:

    If 99,9% of the world is good and has a moral code, why do we all believe we need these institutions and whos gaining from them?
    Last edited by Thereturn; 2020-03-08 at 08:49 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •