Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by catalystical View Post
    As a filthy casual those are good things. At least Blizzard forcing us to play the game is actually a good thing and not spending gold on the AH like D3 back in the day. I know there are four story lines for me to do across my alts instead of doing the same thing 12 times. But we'll still have to see how the game turns out, of course.
    Well, I also don't think, that it's bad thing, because Class Halls were good reason for me to play, but only if content won't be so overtuned to force long term AP/Essence/cloak/corruption grinds, as it is in BFA. In BFA I just can't play alts, because they're so weak, that they're literally unplayable, and bringing them in par with main would mean many months of grind, that brings simple question - when will I actually PLAY this game?

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    You don't know shit.
    If only there were 15 years of evidence showing they have never been able to balance things and there is always a best and worst.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    But don't give me that it's okay to shit on some DPS who does 2% less because of a covenant choice, when other DPSers in the group are doing 10% less because they have stubby little fingers and can't reach the keys, or shit key-binds, or keep standing in fire because they have slow reflexes, or don't have the right mod installed.
    You watching me play, brother?

While I agree that it is quite likely that covenant choice won't be impactful in a major way, it does say something about Blizzard and how they feel about player agency; they know how people freak out over things like this, but chose to pigeonhole the covenant abilities in this fashion anyway. In a perfect world it would be a way to make people care less (by making the change so onerous as to making it more attractive to stick to your first choice), but there must always be a rager. Or many of them, as is the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by catalystical View Post
    As a filthy casual those are good things. At least Blizzard forcing us to play the game is actually a good thing and not spending gold on the AH like D3 back in the day. I know there are four story lines for me to do across my alts instead of doing the same thing 12 times. But we'll still have to see how the game turns out, of course.
    Except if it follows the normal Blizzard script the majority of the script stays the same. That said, Legion alts, thanks to class hall stuff and invasions, can pretty much cherrypick quests they enjoy, so here's hoping that remains the case in SL.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Idk, sounds like the aldor/scryer system to me, and that was fine. You could switch if you really wanted to, but in the end it was really just a flavor thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Given how they transitioned titanforging to corruption, i expect them to do their worse with it.

Zomg, I was planning of being all vampire for my undead shadowpriest.

But now, after seeing the BONE WINGS! Here we go necrolords!

Who cares what their ability is? BONE WINGS.

Stood in the Fire october breeze's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    The fucking expansion isn't even in Alpha yet. Are we supposed to collectively picket Blizzard headquarters until they change literally fucking everything before the expansion is even conceived???
    Yep, it is not out yet. But with current info, the system looks bad on paper.

I really wish they change it soon and you come back to me and rob a "I TOLD YOU SO" into my face; but lets be honest, knowing Blizz for many years, how likely do you think that's gonna be?!?

Quote Originally Posted by october breeze View Post
    Yep, it is not out yet. But with current info, the system looks bad on paper.

I really wish they change it soon and you come back to me and rob a "I TOLD YOU SO" into my face; but lets be honest, knowing Blizz for many years, how likely do you think that's gonna be?!?
    Player choice resulting in a minor power difference!? OH NO! The system must be terrible.... careful that one guy might do 1% more dmg cause you chose to get the xmog you liked

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    This. I'll pick the one with the best aesthetic rewards/mounts/covenant hall.

0.001% of the playerbase should be worried about the DPS difference between covenants, and from the mage examples it seems like it isn't a matter of best or worst so much as a choice in situational specialization.

Kyrian is very obviously the strongest option here for ST (It will probably be nerfed some), but it is going to be completely destroyed by Necrolord and Night Fae in any AoE encounter or in mythic+. Venthyr is going to be extremely strong against melee in PvP and very specific bosses, but picking Kyrian gives you very strong ST burst. If Night Fae can be channeled while continuing to cast regular spells, that is nothing to scoff at.
    this for me is the big worry...... shit getting nerfed. in the mage options there is are 2 aoe abilities and 2 st abilities. obviously one is going to be best (maybe they add a secondary stat buff for each of them so people choose different ones per spec) but if i choose Kyrian for my mage and then that gets nerfed in 9.1 which means Necrolord is now better then I am going to be pissed. whatever values they choose as damage need to stay set in stone they absolutely CANNOT be nerfed or buffed in any way (other than increasing with gear, maybe)

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonDays View Post
    Unless they've done a complete 180 on Covenant design since the reveal(lol nope). Then they will be the Azerite of Shadowlands.

We all know Blizzard is absolutely awful at balancing. Locking player power behind a choice that should be for cosmetic and story purposes is absolutely moronic.

There will be a BEST Covenant ability for your spec/class. It will be the best by a long margin. There will also be an absolute worst.

Then - nerfs and buffs will happen and the pendulum will swing again. But Blizzard has already said they're going to make it extremely hard to switch Covenants.

Why can't these morons open their eyes?
    Because you have no proof. Speculation lead you to this.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry but class halls are the cherry on top of autism day care cake

7+ Year Old Account
    I, and many other people, only care about aesthetic when it comes to the Covenants. Unless you're a hardcore mythic raider, who cares if there's a "best" ability for your class?? I'm going with the vampires because vampires are cool. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDays View Post
    Unless they've done a complete 180 on Covenant design since the reveal(lol nope). Then they will be the Azerite of Shadowlands.

We all know Blizzard is absolutely awful at balancing. Locking player power behind a choice that should be for cosmetic and story purposes is absolutely moronic.

There will be a BEST Covenant ability for your spec/class. It will be the best by a long margin. There will also be an absolute worst.

Then - nerfs and buffs will happen and the pendulum will swing again. But Blizzard has already said they're going to make it extremely hard to switch Covenants.

Why can't these morons open their eyes?
    Actually no, they havent said it will be extremly hard, it will be extremly time consuming since you will start all over and need to unlock everything again, so wont be something you do after the raid becouse another covenants abilities is better for mythic + dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by october breeze View Post
    Things that definitely will not happen ever in a million years or the heat death of the universe for $1,000, Alex.

Stood in the Fire october breeze's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbob View Post
    Player choice resulting in a minor power difference!? OH NO! The system must be terrible.... careful that one guy might do 1% more dmg cause you chose to get the xmog you liked
    First, it won't be only 1% most probably; otherwise, the "player choice" is in impactless and eventually meaningless.

Second, how about just adding the abilities in talent rows to use in all situations and changing them doesn't cost much? Why adding a inefficient system and make things worse for no reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    You don't know shit.
    surprise, surprise, neither do you.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    What about me and Kyphael's contribution to this thread regarding cosmetics being important? Good? Bad? So and so? Rate it sir!
    Solid 8.5/10
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbob View Post
    If we have a look at Blizzard's recent history with new systems (Azerite, Essences and Corruption), they were all so imbalanced that they required at least 50% nerfs and, in some cases, up to 200% buffs to even get close to the realm of viability. Given this history, can you honestly say that this next system will only result in "minor power difference"?

i agree.

My last hope lies with covenants being something that can be easily switched (like our current talents etc). I have no issue at all grinding up 4 factions rep if it means i can fool around with diffrent abilities and buffs on diffrent encounters.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    If we have a look at Blizzard's recent history with new systems (Azerite, Essences and Corruption), they were all so imbalanced that they required at least 50% nerfs and, in some cases, up to 200% buffs to even get close to the realm of viability. Given this history, can you honestly say that this next system will only result in "minor power difference"?
    there are few cases where azerite on a particular classes are stand out more dps (FG on DH for example), but for the most part you don't see a single trait on a single piece of gear being more then 1% of total dps ahead of its competition. Some of the azerite issues include there being sooo many per class/spec and being able to stack them as well.

All essences are available to everyone so there really isnt a problem there. And i agree corruption numbers were horrifically balanced which is one of my issues with blizzard that they tend to not respond to balance concerns on ptr cycles and instead wait to see them on live, BUT my response was to some one calling the SYSTEM bad which is different than tuning. Now if you truly think blizzard will never tune things properly you should be advocating for no new systems ever (classic is there for you).
    This thread is about a system where player choice is semi permanent and has an affect on player power. As a system this is fine if the plan for the variable in power is kept low and actually allows choice. The presented argument is the system is bad because blizzard won't tune it right but the evidence for such is not great because people focus on the flaws and neglect a ton of good balancing that happens every patch.

edit:
    Its pretty clear from blizzards presentation that these new abilities are not meant to be core damage components of your class that top the meters. These are minor cds that support the dmg you are doing unlike corruption numbers which im sure people are concerned from. I don't think we are going to see dps' covenant abilities being 30% of total dmg done like Infinite stars or pre nerf echoing void. Seeing the mage abilities I have some concerns about % vlaues scaling too hard but those are more likely early spitball ideas more than final values. I bet we see very different numbers by time its out of alpha on anything like that.
    Last edited by Elbob; 2020-03-06 at 06:35 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    I would say that since it really only affects the smallest portion of the game's players, then they can just deal with it.