Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Are the infinite power grind here to stay?

It just seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes on and with blizzard weirdly admitting passively that they are not good for the competitive side of the game ( them disabling them in the pvp tournament speaks volumes)

I have to ask... is this just the new norm? Is wow doomed to have wacky random items obtained from excessive grinding from now on?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    It just seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes on and with blizzard weirdly admitting passively that they are not good for the competitive side of the game ( them disabling them in the pvp tournament speaks volumes)

I have to ask... is this just the new norm? Is wow doomed to have wacky random items obtained from excessive grinding from now on?
    no, they specificly said that wont be a thing in shadowlands, so nah its not here to stay.

also titanforging and corruption are not going to be in shadowlands, so again no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Though more specifically in regards to Artifact and Heart leveling, it does solve the issue of giving people something they can always aim for and something to always do to progress their character. People do like leveling, but maybe the way they've presented these systems can be refined so it's more enjoyable and exciting when you do actually level up with them so that you actually get some kind of reward in terms of power that's more tangible in terms of gameplay. I'd suspect that's what we'll be seeing with Covenants and/or the Affixes from the Forge of Domination.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post

also titanforging and corruption are not going to be in shadowlands, so again no.
    They never said titanforging is not going to be in shadowlands.
    It is not in 8.3, there we have the way worse corruption system - ok. But they never said its not coming back in Shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    They never said titanforging is not going to be in shadowlands.
    It is not in 8.3, there we have the way worse corruption system - ok. But they never said its not coming back in Shadowlands.
    The devs have said they found Corrupted gear to be a success so it's likely we'll get some type of similar system for 9.0. How it'll look is still up in the air but I think it's pretty safe to say that Titanforging is gone. We may see Warforging a la MoP/WoD, however.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    The devs have said they found Corrupted gear to be a success so it's likely we'll get some type of similar system for 9.0. How it'll look is still up in the air but I think it's pretty safe to say that Titanforging is gone. We may see Warforging a la MoP/WoD, however.
    They said there will "something", considering they also said they're pretty happy how corruption played out, expect something similiar to corruption, rather than War/Titanforging.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    They said there will "something", considering they also said they're pretty happy how corruption played out, expect something similiar to corruption, rather than War/Titanforging.
    Isn't that pretty much exactly what I said?

Isn't that pretty much exactly what I said?
    More or less, however, i doubt there's going to be something like Warforging, there's most likely going to be the <corruption replacement> and that's it.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2020-03-06 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    More or less, however, i doubt it's going there's going to be something like Warforging, there most likely going to be the <corruption replacement> and that's it.
    I mostly agree, but I didn't think Warforging was nearly as toxic as Titanforging. An extra +6 ilvls isn't going to break anything the same way a LFR piece rolling with the power of a Mythic piece does. (I realize this is still possible with some Corruptions but it's slightly different with the risk/reward aspect.)

no, they specificly said that wont be a thing in shadowlands, so nah its not here to stay.

I dunno about this though. We are collecting Anima in SL. This will prob be the rental/infinite grind thing.

Depends on how you look at it.

Long-term power gain like Artifact/Azerite power? no, they denied that.

Long-term gearing system something similar to wf/tf/corruption?(probably more like corruption)yes, very likely.

In order to have a more "normal" gear acquisition like mop and before, the devs would need to add a ton of new/old secondarys (because gear with only 2 out of 4 secondarys and a guaranteed primary stat is boring as hell) and also reduce gear drop rates by a ton (It has never been this high before with that many gear sources.)

Soooo: Corruption 2.0 it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    Hasn't this always been the case? RNG grants you an item? Other games also does this. Why is this a doom scenario?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Softbottom View Post
    I dunno about this though. We are collecting Anima in SL. This will prob be the rental/infinite grind thing.
    They said it wil work liek past valor/conquest which was capped out how much you could earn each week, meaning not infinite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by Softbottom View Post
    The power is theoretically infinite but if it's capped per week then unlike AP you will not be able to no-life it. This addresses one of the main criticisms of AP-like systems.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    They said it wil work liek past valor/conquest which was capped out how much you could earn each week, meaning not infinite.
    I am all for bringing back badge system, it worked just fine.
    I guess it depends what you do with it that would make the difference, though.

If it's used with unlocking Covenant things or whatever, and those things could potentially stifle progress in other things, I would add in a catchup mechanic of sorts, like a rolling cap.
    Whatever you didn't get one week should roll into the next week, either in part or full.
    Like, if 1000 is the cap and you only got 500 this week, next week your cap is 1500 (if full 500 rolled forward) or somewhere in between (like 1250, if only 50% rolls forward).
    It lets you catch up a bit so you're not just "always a week behind".

But, like, if it's just for gear/mats/etc, whatevs.

I want to trust them but they let me down before... I'm expecting the same systems with different names.

To paraphrase team america. I want to trust them but they let me down before...

I know the best thing to do is just wait on beta but I'm worried if I'm being honest. I don't want another expansion of grind your talents.

10+ Year Old Account
    The devs have said they found Corrupted gear to be a success

Holy fuck, they think that catastrophy was a success? They actually think most of a player's damage coming from uncontrollable gear related procs, and 15+ilvl upgrades actually being downgrades because they don't have the right procs is a success? God this company has really gone down the shitter.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    Hasn't this always been the case? RNG grants you an item? Other games also does this. Why is this a doom scenario?
    Well... to be frank I don't enjoy those games. I liked wow because for the lionshare of its existence so long as you has the skill you could leap frog difficulty.

It was the mmo you didn't have to grind. Now it's the one with more or less required grinding... you can argue that you can simply play after nerfs but I don't find that enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Holy fuck, they think that catastrophy was a success? They actually think most of a player's damage coming from uncontrollable gear related procs, and 15+ilvl upgrades actually being downgrades because they don't have the right procs is a success? God this company has really gone down the shitter.
    It's better than Titanforging. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10+ Year Old Account
    It's better than Titanforging. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    It's really not, and I fucking hated Titanforging... They made it so much worse.. Under no circumstances should most of a player's power come from something they don't even actively do.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.