What to upgrade first/worth a upgrade?

Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading my pc this year. I am not looking for specific advice for card/cpu x,y or z. Just more....what is sound logic. Not that into knowing all the info anymore so need some help.

Gpu, i am going to wait for the nvidea 3xxx series. That is because i got a refurbished and instore cheaper credit on my xb1 monitor ( g sync, qwhd). So to replace that because i am going amd gpu is kinda...silly.

Currently have:
    motherboard: msi x99s sli plus
    CPU: intel i 7 5820k
    ram: 8 gb ddr4 ( in 2 strips of 4)
    1x ssd 250gb: with windows
    1x hd 1tb: for games etc

I am going to bumb up both the hd ( to 2+ tb because running out of space) and ram up to atleast 16gb.
    But the question is....i kinda read online that the cpu is still a very capeable . But its also 4 years old. And its a very specific socket. So not that many great motherboards for it. Right now i think i have 1 of the best matches for both of them.

so the question(s):
    - Is it worth to replace it?
    - or is it just a very small upgrade if i go for a new cpu. Oohhh and i am not willing to pay 500+ for just a cpu like a very heavy i9.

Normally i would ask me old pc shop...but since its been taken over its been kinda....crappy. And in research to new pc shops. Most say if i want the 3xxx to wait. And upgrade the motherboard/cpu. But when i look online i kinda see mixxed advices about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    First question I'd ask is.. Do you need to upgrade?

Outside of the HDD needing more space, is there anything you do that demands more power?

A Ryzen 3600 + Board will run you about $300, and it performance a good 40% better in single thread (or 100% in multi). But if your current setup doesn't have issues theres really no need to upgrade.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Honestly,you're good to go for....pretty much anything right now,might as well wait a couple years for more advanced parts to come out

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    First question I'd ask is.. Do you need to upgrade?

Outside of the HDD needing more space, is there anything you do that demands more power?

A Ryzen 3600 + Board will run you about $300, and it performance a good 40% better in single thread (or 100% in multi). But if your current setup doesn't have issues theres really no need to upgrade.
    Nope and yes. Ram and hdd need it a bit. And with some newer high end games my gpu is lacking. And with games like cyberpunk i want to upgrade a bit.
    But yeah you 2 have answered my question perfectly.

I wanted to know it before i went to the new shop. Because pretty much all of them say upgrade. But when i look online at everything my cpu is still a beast of a cpu. and my motherboard is pretty much 1 of the best pairings with that cpu.

So thanks for the help

getting some extra ram then and a bigger hd and going to wait for the 3xxx nvidea series

If anything, I'd just slap in 8 more GB of ram and perhaps a 500GB SSD for large titles, like Fallout 4, ESO, RDR2 etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get another 2 sticks of RAM (as similar to what you have now as possible) and then as much storage as you need. There's no need to upgrade the CPU.