Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

TV Shows or Movies that bombed and/or Critics hated you enjoyed?

TV Shows or Movies that bombed and/or Critics hated you enjoyed?

Mine was Ultra Violet, I didn't like the Resident Evil Films, I really don't like or dislike Mila, however this film was cool, kind of like a live action comic book. Guess I am the only one.

Directed by Kurt Wimmer
    Produced by John Baldecchi
    Written by Kurt Wimmer

Starring
    Milla Jovovich
    Cameron Bright
    Nick Chinlund
    William Fichtner
    Music by Klaus Badelt
    Cinematography Arthur Wong Ngok Tai
    Edited by William Yeh
    Production
    companies
    Screen Gems
    Ultravi Productions
    Distributed by Sony Pictures Entertainment
    Release date
    March 3, 2006
    Running time
    87 minutes
    Country United States
    Language English
    Budget $30 million
    Box office $31.1 million

It Stands on Rotten Tomato at 9% and has a general rating of 2.8 out of 10! HAHAHA I didn't think it was that bad
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1005399_dead_heat
    11% critics/49% audience/3.5 million at the box office

I liked Ultraviolet, solid movie. For me it would have to be X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

I mean, critics and audiences alike threw this into the wood chipper, so much so that when I watched it, I enjoyed it so much, I'm not sure I enjoyed so much because the expectations were so low, or because really, it wasn't as bad as everyone said it was.

A repeat viewing and allowing myself to absorb the material, I realized it was the latter. No fucking way was this movie as bad as everyone said it was, from the acting, production values, visual effects, and even the script. Hell, the pacing alone and focus on the story makes it better than The Last Stand which received nowhere near as bad a reaction. I quickly realized Dark Phoenix suffered more from the fact that it's a first film in a trilogy that won't be finished due to Disney buying FOX, and that left a bad taste in people's mouths to the point they think this movie is fucking terrible, which it's not. It's actually better than a lot of other mediocre superhero movies that have gotten higher ratings (looking at you Thor and Captain Marvel.)

If you watch this without letting your head get in the way of the fact it's an unfinished story, the movie still works, albeit with a cliffhanger ending that isn't perfect, and is frustrating, but if no one was the wiser, the ending would have just been a little anti-climatic, but the story told was still satisfying and a fine X-Men movie.

Hell, it's definitely better than Wolverine: Origins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I liked Ultraviolet, solid movie. For me it would have to be X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

I mean, critics and audiences alike threw this into the wood chipper, so much so that when I watched it, I enjoyed it so much, I'm not sure I enjoyed so much because the expectations were so low, or because really, it wasn't as bad as everyone said it was.

A repeat viewing and allowing myself to absorb the material, I realized it was the latter. No fucking way was this movie as bad as everyone said it was, from the acting, production values, visual effects, and even the script. Hell, the pacing alone and focus on the story makes it better than The Last Stand which received nowhere near as bad a reaction. I quickly realized Dark Phoenix suffered more from the fact that it's a first film in a trilogy that won't be finished due to Disney buying FOX, and that left a bad taste in people's mouths to the point they think this movie is fucking terrible, which it's not. It's actually better than a lot of other mediocre superhero movies that have gotten higher ratings (looking at you Thor and Captain Marvel.)

If you watch this without letting your head get in the way of the fact it's an unfinished story, the movie still works, albeit with a cliffhanger ending that isn't perfect, and is frustrating, but if no one was the wiser, the ending would have just been a little anti-climatic, but the story told was still satisfying and a fine X-Men movie.

Hell, it's definitely better than Wolverine: Origins.

Lol I’ve for sure done this before. Expecting ow and actually enjoyed. Always makes me wonder too.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I really liked Stargate: Universe. I was really interested in seeing where that ship would end up taking them and all the things that they'd learn along the way. Robert Carlyle was a joy to watch and I really wanted to see more. Sadly not enough viewers felt the same way and it only got 2 seasons.

The Dungeons & Dragons movie got more hate than I felt it deserved.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    A guilty, very guilty, pleasure. I hate to admit it, but, yep, watched it a couple times. Cracks me up to no end.

I honestly still think the hate it got was justified. Doesn't stop me thoroughly enjoying it, of course. It's just so fun.

Mario Bros movie is an awsome good time! Its consistently funny with Dennis Hopper chewing scenery and Bob Hoskins looking perpetually annoyed. The post apocalypse setting is so out of left field that its awsome.

I used to like Xena and Hercules shows. I'm a Greek mythology nerd and those series had a special appeal for me.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man I loved that film and owned it on Dvd, Jeremy Irons played a great Villain. Also the scene with Marlon Wayans saying "See, that's the same thing you said when we robbed that little halfling's house. And who'd he catch? Me. And who'd he beat from the waist down? Me."

I like a lot of Comedies that are considered "bad" like: Me, Myself and Irene, Just Friends, Say it isn't so, She's all that. Basically a lot of 90's/early 2000's ones.
    I'm also a sucker for Action movies regardless of how cheesy they might be if they have one of the Main Action Stars of the 80's/90's in it.
    And basically anything with Ryan Reynolds.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2020-03-09 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    I really liked Stargate: Universe. I was really interested in seeing where that ship would end up taking them and all the things that they'd learn along the way. Robert Carlyle was a joy to watch and I really wanted to see more. Sadly not enough viewers felt the same way and it only got 2 seasons.

SGU biggest weakness was it took two seasons to develop every single character on the cast. Barley anything interesting happened until the finale of s2. I enjoyed it, but I can see why and agree with its cancellation

For me,I can't put my finger on an example right now. But my general rule of thumb is not to even bother opening critic reviews. They've gone fucking awful the last few years for shitting on movies which aren't half bad.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    I used to like Xena and Hercules shows. I'm a Greek mythology nerd and those series had a special appeal for me.
    In no way shape or form am I trying to bait, offend, or troll you, but: were those shows actually panned by critics? I remember them being wildly popular from start. Maybe I was just in the right region for that being the case: them being popular. If they were panned, add me to the list of people that loved those shows regardless of what anyone else had to say about them.

SGU was fine, as it picked up on S2 (but then it was too late).

Stardust was underrated, imho... Fantasy story for adults.

While not exactly panned, Terra Nova received a very lukewarm response. I quite liked it. The general theme of the series appealed to me and whatever scientific inaccuracies didn't particularly bother me. Show was slow going initially but really picked up towards the end of season 1, but that was far too late and the show never saw a season 2.

As for movies, and I'll probably myself get panned for this, I grew up with the Star Wars prequels as my first Star Wars experience and loved them. I have very fond memories of those films, and memories they'll stay, because I'm well aware that my perception of the movies will be torn to shreds if I ever rewatch them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Godzilla (1998). It' a terrible Godzilla movie and a mediocre giant monster movie, but when it's on TV, I rarely change the channel. It makes sense that they tied the movie in with Taco Bell... sometimes I just crave crap.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern movie, and I wanted a sequel.

Critics liked Star Wars - The Last Jedi and Star Wars - Rise of Skywalker so it's enough of a reason to never listen to them.

SGU - top show on that list frak off to Sy Fy for not at least ending it properly (and the many other shows they let die on cliff hangers...)

movie:
    eh recently i liked SW: RoS, top 3 starwars movie for me.

I'm sure there are others i'm just not sure atm.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Series: Eli Stone. That got about 4 seasons less than it deserved.
    Movie: Aeon Flux. 9%/39% on rotten tomatoes. 14 year old me absolutely loved that movie.