A suggestion to Blizzard about WoW Arenas and how they can be a seperate game

Hello everyone!

I am writing this post to suggest an simplified WoW arena extension game. In a discussion i had with a friend we were both wising that we could play arenas in a competitive matchmaking system like the one league of legends is using, without any items having impact to the game. A simplified arena simulator with just a lobby, friends list and matchmaking. A game you could try a get actually good at, just like competitive mobas or counter strike.

So the idea is basically WoW's arenas as they are now, but in a different client and with a few balance fixes and changes so the game can mentain a competitive experience, escaping the MMORPG genre. The game structure has to be very simple, following the model of League of Legends. That means there will only be a Lobby, friends list, profile stats etc and the actual arenas with a normal or rated matchmaking system to back them up. The infrastructure will be the same with the retail WoW arenas, but the most important change is that there will be NO items and gear whatsoever. There will only be cosmetic items in the form of skins, a way to please the players eye and make the needed profit to Blizzard in order to mentain a free to play status just like League of Legends. That being said, it is obvious that the game has to be a different game in the Battlenet game list and NOT being connected with the Retail WoW or Classic. It is very crucial that the game is seperated from WoW in order to be successful. And it has to be free to play and fair, no pay2win adjustments, just cosmetics.

A rated matchmaking system is vital for the game's success and competitiveness. The elo rating system will be used with ranks similar to the ones League of Legends is using like Platinum etc. The matchmaking will provide soloqueue 2v2s, premade 2v2s, soloque 3v3s, premade 3v3s and maybe if it is possible a premade 5v5s. All the queues can be placed in both Normal type and Ranked.

Every player will be able to pick all classes, as they exist in retail WoW. A few balance fixes have to be made though. As stated above the biggest one is that there will be no items/gear, the game CAN'T be pay2win. The Class Talents will be used as League of Legends is using Runes, adding a small but important personalization to each player and his playstyle. In additio, some spells and skills have to be nerfed or completly removed in order to balance the game out considering that the NO items thing will cause a lot of balance changes. These nerfs and balances will obviously be decided by Blizzard's experienced staff.

So in TLDR, the most important features of this game will be :

Free to play

Simplified version of the Arenas of WoW (Lobby + Matchmaking)

No items or gear, JUST talent trees

Matchmaking system with soloque or premade + Rewarding Rating System

Balance fixes and changes

Meta shaping changes with patches every now and then, just like the League of Legends model

These are the basic ideas, obviously if Blizzard ever decided to give this a try they could do wonders improving it and adding things. I am posting this here because i want to hear the community's opinion on this and perhaps exchange ideas and suggestions.

So what do you guys think? Could a simplified arena simulator compete with the declining mobas?

7+ Year Old Account
    My first suggestion would be that you write this on the official forums instead of MMO Champion
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

i can't post there says i need a level 10 character or something like that

I have absolutely no idea why they would want or even need to do this.

As someone who plays a lot of arenas I can safely say I have no interest in having a totally separate client for them. To the point where I wouldn't even download it and give it a try, because I truly see no point. Sure, there's no gear requirements and they could be more balanced, but there's also no reward or reason to play them.

Getting a Gladiator mount or even just the titles in game as well as getting some gear is part of what makes arenas fun. If I wanted a balanced team game outside of WoW I'd just go play DotA or CSGO, I wouldn't play a different more irrelevant version of WoW.

And on Blizzard's end it makes even less sense. Why go through the trouble creating this and making servers for it for no gain? If it's free, or even if it requires a WoW account, Blizzard would make basically no money from it. Nobody is going to subscribe to a WoW account so they can play arenas with no rewards, and Blizzard is never going to release what's basically a new game for free with no way for them to make money off it.

If Blizzard really wants to fix arena PvP it isn't that hard to do it on live servers, it's just a matter of if they care or not. But there is a 0% chance they would ever even consider releasing a free version of arenas.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don’t know if it’s because I lacked skill, never found the right partner(s) or truly studied the mechanics of arena but I never viewed it as more than 10 wins and done.

I would much rather do RBG’s for competitive play since it’s not as dependent on FOTM teams and lining up CD’s. I found nothing enjoyable about waiting for damage/healing buffs/nerfs to determine an outcome.

Given how few people are doing PVP anymore, this is an awful idea.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Sure, i wouldn't mind that. Even though i dont like modern wow animations. But the gameplay of arena is something that could be singled out.

Quote Originally Posted by ntimaras View Post
    So in TLDR, the most important features of this game will be :

Free to play

Simplified version of the Arenas of WoW (Lobby + Matchmaking)

No items or gear, JUST talent trees

Matchmaking system with soloque or premade + Rewarding Rating System

Balance fixes and changes

Meta shaping changes with patches every now and then, just like the League of Legends model

These are the basic ideas, obviously if Blizzard ever decided to give this a try they could do wonders improving it and adding things. I am posting this here because i want to hear the community's opinion on this and perhaps exchange ideas and suggestions.

So what do you guys think? Could a simplified arena simulator compete with the declining mobas?
    #1 no wow arena will never compete at ALL with mobas
    (if blizzard admited this by creating HoTS and yet still LoL is King...)

#2 Please get out with your idea - WoW is an MMO not a PVP game, pvp is just a little side game and will never be more (thank god for that)

I think wow pvp is just a vastly inferior version to dota style games. I enjoy it now and then but the higher the rated the team is the more predictable the game play becomes.

To make pvp more interesting they need to create a lot more spells and abilities that can miss while relying less on Los as a counter play.

I just don't think wow's engine is ideal for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ntimaras View Post
    i can't post there says i need a level 10 character or something like that
    So you don't even play the game?

Stood in the Fire ArkantosChampion's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    PvP in BFA ┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴ DEAD.
    PvP in SL ┬┴┬┴┤_^)├┬┴┬┴
    I'm a normal text, I'm a bold text.