Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

Turkey opens borders, thousands of migrants headed for western europe

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...roops-in-syria

Turkey has opened the borders and is transporting syrian refugees to greece with busses and taxi’s. What impact Will this have?

10+ Year Old Account
    Long term this is going to backfire badly onto Turkey, their only card in their deck is the refugee one if the EU manages to find a solution it finds acceptable for them (and this will cause human suffering regardless) Turkey is going to further isolate themselves, i would not want to be Turkey with the EU being indifferent to even hostile towards them on top of Russia and other region forces.

But this short term political thinking was to be expected from Erdogan and his cronies. After all they despise the western way of living.

And of course, the EU will force already overburdened Greece to house them all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Greece is part of the EU, the "forced" part comes from still no clear EU wide refugee policy and you would be surprised who are the ones actually holding all this back.

The EU is a bunch of fucking pussies. They don't have the balls to stand up to Turkey. They don't have the balls to stand up to anyone at all.
    Trump, Putin, Erdogan make the EU their bitch. EU is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    The EU is a bunch of fucking pussies. They don't have the balls to stand up to Turkey. They don't have the balls to stand up to anyone at all.

Trump, Putin, Erdogan make the EU their bitch. EU is a joke.
    Well, considering the US lets Turkey get away with everything (even literal ethnic cleansing and supporting terrorists), and Erdogan basically tells the US what they will do and the US doesn't stop them, I guess that also makes the US Turkey's bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Long term this is going to backfire badly onto Turkey, their only card in their deck is the refugee one if the EU manages to find a solution it finds acceptable for them (and this will cause human suffering regardless) Turkey is going to further isolate themselves, i would not want to be Turkey with the EU being indifferent to even hostile towards them on top of Russia and other region forces.

But this short term political thinking was to be expected from Erdogan and his cronies. After all they despise the western way of living.
    Nah, man, Merkel or some shit will write an angry letter to Erdogan, and nothing will happen. Germany will allow millions of immigrants in, and then whine that certain countries don't want this crowd, and then will threaten Hungary and Poland and Romania and whoever else still has a fucking spine in the EU to just say NO to the Reich.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-02-28 at 07:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, man, Merkel or some shit will write an angry letter to Erdogan, and nothing will happen. Germany will allow millions of immigrants in, and then whine that certain countries don't want this crowd, and then will threaten Hungary and Poland and Romania and whoever else still has a fucking spine in the EU to just say NO to the Reich.
    Oh, you are one of those. Thank you for declaring yourself as such, been a while since i visited the political side of this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Oh, you are one of those. Thank you for declaring yourself as such, been a while since i visited the political side of this forum
    Not a Leftist? Yes, I am not a Leftist. And yes, I know this website is 90% Leftist and pretty much an echo chamber.

Not a Leftist? Yes, I am not a Leftist. And yes, I know this website is 90% Leftist and pretty much an echo chamber.
    I'm not anywhere on the left and I still think you're full of shit if you say everyone but the US let's Turkey get away with egregious behavior.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2020-02-28 at 07:24 PM.

reality has a liberal biases, so is reality really an echo chamber?

7+ Year Old Account
    Its nice isn't it when you join a "free trade organization"? Run by Germans, what ever could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgjelme View Post
    Its nice isn't it when you join a "free trade organization"? Run by Germans, what ever could go wrong?
    Banks instead of tanks, that's what finally conquered Europe for them.

I'm not anywhere on the left and I still think you're full of shit if you say everyone but the US is Turkey's lapdog.
    Turkey.
    *has the largest military contribution to NATO.
    *has the largest coverage of the Black Sea shoreline.
    *is a bumper zone between immigrants from Africa, and the EU territory.
    *is likely to become a Russian trojan horse if Erdogan gets pissed and allies with Russia.

Turkey got both the US and EU by the balls.

Either Russia, or SAA backed by Russia hit and killed 33 (possibly more) Turkish soldiers. This is the response the government came up with. Make no sense whatsoever. Do not get me wrong, I am all for EU sharing our burden but this is an answer given to the wrong party. EU has no obligation to back us up politically or militarily against Russia. If the government thinks they can not take on Russia alone, they should have pulled back our soldiers from Idlib in the first place.

Again, I am okay with sending refugees to Europe but for right reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at politics as a conflict of tribes while using terms as echo chamber, the irony. Yes this forum is leftist when stuck in an alt right bubble but than again it is rather impossible to be of the right of the alt right. Considering it is an extreme ideology that leaves no room for critical thinkers or opposition within it ranks as it simply denounces people that do so as traitors to even the (white) "race".

Turkey.
    *has the largest military contribution to NATO.
    *has the largest coverage of the Black Sea shoreline.
    *is a bumper zone between immigrants from Africa, and the EU territory.
    *is likely to become a Russian trojan horse if Erdogan gets pissed and allies with Russia.

Turkey got both the US and EU by the balls.
    You're not up to speed, are you? Turkey and Russia are inches away to slugging it out with each other in Syria. Turkey launched attacks on Russia's base in Latakia (that's in Syria, some free info for you), and the Turkish military is firing on Russian planes over Syria after a Russian-backed Syrian offensive killed 30odd Turkish troops in occupied Idlib (that's in Syria).

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Either Russia, or SAA backed by Russia hit and killed 33 (possibly more) Turkish soldiers. This is the response the government came up with. Make no sense whatsoever. Do not get me wrong, I am all for EU sharing our burden but this is an answer given to the wrong party. EU has no obligation to back us up politically or militarily against Russia. If the government thinks they can not take on Russia alone, they should have pulled back our soldiers from Idlib in the first place.

Again, I am okay with sending refugees to Europe but for right reasons.
    Erdogan dreams of restoring the Ottoman Empire by biting a chunk out of Syria.

In fact, latest news is Turkey is asking for a truce with the Russian-backed Syrian forces.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...104334749.html

You're not up to speed, are you? Turkey and Russia are inches away to slugging it out with each other in Syria. Turkey launched attacks on Russia's base in Latakia (that's in Syria, some free info for you), and the Turkish military is firing on Russian planes over Syria after a Russian-backed Syrian offensive killed 30odd Turkish troops in occupied Idlib (that's in Syria).
    Baloney! Putin is not the kind of guy to just take it, unlike Trump and Merkel. Odds are the Russian forces didn't suffer any losses, so Putin doesn't think Erdogan is worthy of a response in kind.

Erdogan can bark at the Russians all he wants, he's not worth the attention until he bites, and then it will hurt HIM more than it will hurt Putin.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, latest news is Turkey is asking for a truce with the Russian-backed Syrian forces.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...104334749.html
    Of course, part of diplomacy. "Let me have this land, and I will back off".