5+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Heroes of the Storm with Overwatch II engine?

The idea just popped into me brain, could this work? With giant maps ofc

My armchair-developer says why not? My airchair-corporation suit is laughing at the idea though.

5+ Year Old Account
    I just imagine being deathwing swoopin' down annihilating shit

or be jim raynor with a huge starcraft gun

10+ Year Old Account
    There'd be no justification to do it, other than yeah, the game would look a lot better.

It still doesn't fix the other problems the game has already (or had previously), so it's
    kind of a moot point to suggest different engines for the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    There'd be no justification to do it, other than yeah, the game would look a lot better.

It still doesn't fix the other problems the game has already (or had previously), so it's
    kind of a moot point to suggest different engines for the game.
    The in-game assets look how they look. You’d basically need to remake all of the assets at a new, higher definition to make use of any of the meaningful graphics updates in the engine.

In essence, it’s like transferring an existing vhs tape to a dvd in hopes of getting better picture quality. It just doesn’t work that way.

In fact, I’m pretty sure transferring HotS assets into the OW engine would look... pretty much exactly the same as they do in the SC engine HotS uses. Maybe a better dynamic lighting system for shadows and fancy light effects and a better refraction system for water and glass, but that’s pretty much it.

To the OPs point, which I assume means “playing hots in first person...” while the game obviously wasn’t meant to be played in first person (or even navigated around using wasd) the art asset problem still stands. Playing as raynor would necessitate making all-new assets for him (and every hero) because what looks alright from a camera hiked 30 feet in the air above the action will not look good when you’re staring down the barrel of it in first person.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-03-08 at 07:51 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    The idea just popped into me brain, could this work? With giant maps ofc
    so you basically want overwatch iii with hots characters?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.