10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Seems like we have clarifications on how much are they going to cost:
    https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...on-alts/133275

Seems like they are dirt cheap, 1 emissary + 3 visions clear = 1 essence
    2 assaults = big and small = 2/5 of essence
    and so on.

pasting it (you need 500 for R3 essence) and:
    But they aren't free, greedy Blizzard making us grind. Rage!

Well that's my sarcasm quota for today.

@kaminaris

You can do 3 visions in one day?
    I have no idea how visions work.

But am extremely curious about this timegate

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    @kaminaris

Horrific Visions are timegated in the sense that they require a resource that you get from doing the 8.3 dailies and assaults. Generally you'll get about enough of that resource to do something like 4 visions per week.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoBisque View Post
    Horrific Visions are timegated in the sense that they require a resource that you get from doing the 8.3 dailies and assaults. Generally you'll get about enough of that resource to do something like 4 visions per week.
    Im not sure anymore but around 5 is possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    @kaminaris

As much as you want as long as you have currency, somewhere around 4-5 a week with minimal effort, and it stacks up so if you only do 1 weekly, you will be able to do 20 in a row.

BUT as I quite enjoy them, i couldn't get myself to do more than 3-4 per week, as I said in other thread I timegate things myself so I don't get burned out.

Currently I could buy about 10 keys on main and 6 keys on alt. My friends who do dailies can do like 20 or so.
    Last edited by kaminaris; 2020-03-17 at 05:32 AM.

Shame they didn't do account wide essences.

and so on.

You reckon? I honestly get the opposite impression; it's a bit more expensive than I'd like. I mean, sure the numbers seem pretty good, but when you actually stop to think about their practicality, especially for characters that are the very reason for this change in the first place - alts that have hardly been touched.

Let's examine the numbers from that perspective. Specifically, an undergeared alt of someone who doesn't PvP.
    In one week:
    The Assaults will net you 275. Emissaries will get you 350. That's 625 so far.
    Mythic+? Good luck getting your ilvl 400 alt with no Essences unlocked into a M+ run, so you can rule that out.
    Heroic Darkshore is only available once a month, so its reward is negligible. If you really wanna include it, it gives an average of like, 20 per week. So now we're up to 645.
    Normal/Heroic/Mythic Ny'alotha? On our hypothetical under-played alt? Fat chance - so rule that out.
    Raid Finder? We can do that. 25 per wing. So now we're up to 745! Getting close!
    Random Battleground wins, Rated Battleground wins, Arena wins, Weekly PvP Cache... our player doesn't PvP so we can ignore all that.
    Weekly Mythic+ Cache? Like I said, snowball's chance in hell you're gonna get that on your ilvl 400 alt with no Essences. So that's out too. Still at 745... hm.
    And finally, Horrific Visions. As a fun little experiment, I just now decided to do one of those on my ilvl 420 Demonology Warlock with only a few Rank 1 Essences, and a level 6 Cloak. Holy hell it was awful. Just getting up to the first boss requires I use one of my Sanity Balls. And attempting even the easiest side-wing results in death.
    So undergeared, underprepared alts... the exact characters this change is aimed at... will not be full-clearing Visions any time soon. Not without carries.
    Realistically, it'll take six Vessels of Horrific Visions to get up from 745 to over 1000, to be able to afford your second weekly Essences.
    Even if we're generous and say that you manage to finish a sidewing or two on your shitty alt... that's still three or four Vision runs to get the second Essences.

So... per week... every single Emissary, every Assault, every single Assault daily quest (for Vessels), and 3 to 6 Horrific Vision runs to get just two Essences.

And obviously, you want all four of your character's BiS Essences. So that's six Assaults, fourteen Emissaries (56 World Quests), 12 Horrific Visions, and enough Daily Quests to afford those Horrific Visions (10k per key. 12 keys. 2 of them are free, so 10 keys. 100k Coalescing Visions. 350 per daily: you'd need to do well over two fucking hundred and fifty daily quests to afford it.)

And that's per alt.

--Unrelated Edit:--
    I don't really like the repeatable PvP content's rewards either, if I'm being honest. Compared to PvE, PvP gives too much on a win, and too little (nothing) on a loss. Especially Random Battlegrounds. It's simultaneously way too rewarding for what you can essentially be infinitely carried through with absolutely no increase in difficulty, and not rewarding enough for what can take up to an hour of your time only to finally lose through no fault of your own.
    Last edited by Mixxy; 2020-03-17 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Fixed a bit of math

I don't get Blizzard's stubborness to listen to the fans really.

Like every other company has always had success when they listen and do immediate changes that were requested by the community.

Blizzard always tries to find the most elaborated way to not do exactly what the fans want but still give them a little bit

But being honest, I like the numbers, seems like you can get 2 per week by doing normal activities and you probably only want 2 anyway(you get crucible "for free" and one for the main activity you're going to do as well). That said, there was development money invested into this, and it obviously came from somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixxy View Post
    You reckon? I honestly get the opposite impression; it's a bit more expensive than I'd like. I mean, sure the numbers seem pretty good, but when you actually stop to think about their practicality, especially for characters that are the very reason for this change in the first place - alts that have hardly been touched.

Let's examine the numbers from that perspective. Specifically, an undergeared alt of someone who doesn't PvP.
    In one week:

snip

And that's per alt.
    You seems to forget that alt shouldn't have the same power as your main with a fraction of it's effort. If you actually read that post it becomes crystal clear that blizzard doesn't want people to think that alts are necessary as they were in previous expansions.

They don't want for alts to give people advantage over those who doesn't enjoy playing alts and rightfully so. Lets see
    In WoD and Legion having many alts gave you OVERWHELMING advantage in gold. 6-8 alts made you a millionaire. Do I need to remind you what can you buy with 10M of gold? It was so ridiculous at some point that earning gold for full mythic raid clear was actually 1/10 effort of actually progressing the raid.
    Pre M+/PL era, even a scrub guilds had split runs because rolling an alt was piss easy so everyone required to have at least one alt, doesn't matter if it was top 2000 guild or so.
    Switching classes for bosses were also way too easy so even if you didn't really enjoy playing other classes, you had to.

I absolutely agree with blizzard here. Since legion I never had to play alt in raids.

Quote Originally Posted by monkaTOS View Post
    So, go buy one rank 3 essence.

Your limitation in this case is not the essences. It's your ilvl. So you need to do some other content. 8.3 base level is higher than that. Heroic dungeons drop 415. M0 drops 430. None of those require rank 3 essences. I feel like you're spinning up hypotethical edge case here to support your head-narrative.

Why wouldn't you want to do that, it's free gear.

Yeah, again, not essence problem.

Actually you're not going to get into LFR with your ilvl 400 alt either, so not essence problem. You need to work on your gear.

Ok, but in that case you were not going to get BoE or Strife in the first place? What actual essences are you trying to get from this system?

Yeah. It sucks to be that undergeared and expect to be able to do content. You might need to work on your gear?

So maybe work on your gear and power, which you can do just fine without essences. Emissaries reward 445 gear you know.

You get Crucible for free, two essences is *exactly* what you need on your alt to get it going. The rest you can worry about later. The problem with alts has been several week long rep/honor grinds. Now it's pretty easy to fill your essence slots with min. one rank 3 a week. How is this problematic?
    It's amazing how thoroughly you managed to respond to every single point I made while completely missing the point that I was specifically talking about a brand new, undergeared alt, with no HoA levels and no prior Essences.

I'll spell it out:
    This catch-up system is more rewarding the less it's needed.

That's dumb.

You seems to forget that alt shouldn't have the same power as your main with a fraction of it's effort. If you actually read that post it becomes crystal clear that blizzard doesn't want people to think that alts are necessary as they were in previous expansions.

They don't want for alts to give people advantage over those who doesn't enjoy playing alts and rightfully so. Lets see
    In WoD and Legion having many alts gave you OVERWHELMING advantage in gold. 6-8 alts made you a millionaire. Do I need to remind you what can you buy with 10M of gold? It was so ridiculous at some point that earning gold for full mythic raid clear was actually 1/10 effort of actually progressing the raid.
    Pre M+/PL era, even a scrub guilds had split runs because rolling an alt was piss easy so everyone required to have at least one alt, doesn't matter if it was top 2000 guild or so.
    Switching classes for bosses were also way too easy so even if you didn't really enjoy playing other classes, you had to.

I absolutely agree with blizzard here. Since legion I never had to play alt in raids.
    A'ight, lemme ask you then... since there's no benefit to having alts in BFA, what's the harm in allowing your alts to be almost as well off as your mains?

And I say almost because even if Essences were COMPLETELY account-wide, and everyone's HoA was automatically brought up to max level... you'd still need to play your alt as much as you play your main to get the same level of gear on it.

This idea that having all of the Essences on your Alts would somehow magically propel them up to the same lofty heights as your main, clad in 480 Azerite gear, wearing the best Corruptions and BiS trinkets, with all those bonus Gem slots... is absolutely baffling to me. How have people managed to convince themselves that Essences are all the matter? Especially in this age of Infinite Stars and Twilight Devastations.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, your example is so fucked up I don't know where to begin.
    WHY would you need rank 3 essences for i400 alts that haven't even played 8.3 content?

Do fucking worldquests. Do LFR. Do m0. Do warfronts. No essences required. Yay powergains.

Once you get around 445, start worrying about essences. At that point you can actually do 8.3 content.
    So you agree? The more a character needs to catch up, the less reasonable this catch up mechanic is?

Cool. Glad we see eye-to-eye on this.

A'ight, lemme ask you then... since there's no benefit to having alts in BFA, what's the harm in allowing your alts to be almost as well off as your mains?
    Read my post once again, there are always benefits of having alts, especially when it comes to raiding.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuba View Post
    I don't get Blizzard's stubborness to listen to the fans really.

Like every other company has always had success when they listen and do immediate changes that were requested by the community.

Blizzard always tries to find the most elaborated way to not do exactly what the fans want but still give them a little bit

But being honest, I like the numbers, seems like you can get 2 per week by doing normal activities and you probably only want 2 anyway(you get crucible "for free" and one for the main activity you're going to do as well). That said, there was development money invested into this, and it obviously came from somewhere else.
    its the problem when their heads are too deep in their own ass

They think they always know better and refuse to acknowledge mistakes or feedback, its the mentality "you think you do but you don't"

Read my post once again, there are always benefits of having alts, especially when it comes to raiding.
    So? At this point, who cares? The expansion is over. World First is over. The Horde hall-of-fame is closed. N'zoth LFR is available, so literally every single player can finish the expansion, finish the story, see the disappointing cinematic.

BFA. Is. Finished.

Who cares if alts become powerful? Who cares if raids become easier for people with alts. The expansion's done.

Getting this hung up over it is like getting upset that someone cheated at a race after the race was finished.

As much as you want as long as you have currency, somewhere around 4-5 a week with minimal effort, and it stacks up so if you only do 1 weekly, you will be able to do 20 in a row.

BUT as I quite enjoy them, i couldn't get myself to do more than 3-4 per week, as I said in other thread I timegate things myself so I don't get burned out.

Currently I could buy about 10 keys on main and 6 keys on alt. My friends who do dailies can do like 20 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoBisque View Post
    Thanks for the replies

Seems to be a very mild gate.
    How many essenses does a person need anyway? Not many i assume. Specially in a alt.

So? At this point, who cares? The expansion is over. World First is over. The Horde hall-of-fame is closed. N'zoth LFR is available, so literally every single player can finish the expansion, finish the story, see the disappointing cinematic.

BFA. Is. Finished.

Who cares if alts become powerful? Who cares if raids become easier for people with alts. The expansion's done.

Getting this hung up over it is like getting upset that someone cheated at a race after the race was finished.
    No its nowhere near being done. There are still a lot of guilds progressing.

And you realize that last statement was pretty dumb do you?
    That is usually how it happens, cheats are detected usually after the race. Rarely in a middle of it.

Which part of "your example is fucked up" didn't you understand?
    The part where you seem to have decided on Blizzard's behalf that the Essence unlocking system is only for people who have already been working on their alts.

Especially since Blizzard specifically said:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Within a couple of weeks of hitting max-level on your alt, you should be able to obtain your preferred Essences
    This change is directly, specifically aimed at brand new alts, mere moments after they hit max level. And, for brand new alts, it's at its least rewarding and least doable.
    It's aimed at freshly-levelled characters, and it's built around a load of content inaccessible to those characters.

That's. Dumb.

--Edit--
    Upon re-reading Blizzard's post... jeeze it's even worse. Several weeks to unlock your "preferred Essences"... weeks of work to unlock just four Essences.
    Per character.

- - - Updated - - -

No its nowhere near being done. There are still a lot of guilds progressing.

And you realize that last statement was pretty dumb do you?
    That is usually how it happens, cheats are detected usually after the race. Rarely in a middle of it.
    Re-read what I said.
    I'm talking about someone cheating at a race after the race finished, and you getting upset that they did it.
    Last edited by Mixxy; 2020-03-17 at 06:23 AM.

The part where you seem to have decided on Blizzard's behalf that the Essence unlocking system is only for people who have already been working on their alts.

Within a couple of weeks of hitting max-level on your alt,
    This change is directly, specifically aimed at brand new alts, mere moments after they hit max level. And, for brand new alts, it's at its least rewarding and least doable.
    It's aimed at freshly-levelled characters, and it's built around a load of content inaccessible to those characters.

That's. Dumb.
    No, this is correct. Within a couple of months you could get alt without any catch-up to 465 and couple of R3 essences. Now you will be able to do it WITHOUT DOING old/shit content. What is so hard to understand?

Re-read what I said.
    I'm talking about someone cheating at a race after the race finished, and you getting upset that they did it.
    English is not my first language and neither is yours I see:

Getting this hung up over it
    is like getting upset that someone cheated at a race, (so during the race)
    after the race was finished.

Within a couple of weeks of hitting max-level on your alt, you should be able to obtain your preferred Essences

That's. Dumb.

--Edit--
    Upon re-reading Blizzard's post... jeeze it's even worse. Several weeks to unlock your "preferred Essences"... weeks of work to unlock just four Essences.
    Per character.

- - - Updated - - -

Re-read what I said.
    You know what. Uhm.. 'couple of weeks' means? You finish leveling, you start the legendary quest, start gearing (430 in less than 2 days) and then you start getting the new currency in the following weeks. It's simple, just play the freakin game and get some gear, which does not even take any time at all.

I only see one example of that here. Your posts.

Couple of weeks after hitting max in 8.3 you should be around 445 or well on your way towards it if you're actually playing the content.
    Your alts somehow seem to be stuck in patch 8.2 ilvls. Maybe play the game, eh?
    So you need to do a couple week's worth of catch-up, in order to catch up to the catch-up, so that you can do a couple week's worth of catch-up?

Sure is big brain time in here.

and so on.

so 2-3 weeks for each essence for casual players.

most will just ignore it anyway because they dont need essences for anything.

cant wait to see all the retrninging players on forums jumping from joy "boy oh boy ill sooo grind it"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    You know what. Uhm.. 'couple of weeks' means? You finish leveling, you start the legendary quest, start gearing (430 in less than 2 days) and then you start getting the new currency in the following weeks. It's simple, just play the freakin game and get some gear, which does not even take any time at all.
    or - crazy idea i know - he can just ignore it and play other games that are fun and that dont gate actual content behind idiotic time gates.

radical i know.

wonder which solution will most players choose.

farm stupid currency for stuff that will be removed in 3 months with prepatch or not .... tough choice indeed