Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by CcB View Post
    We all know that the higher up you go in what's called 'hardcore' gaming(raiding/pvp) the worse attitudes people get because they have it in their minds that whatever they're doing is important. Coupled with that they act worse because they think they're anonymous or that their actions do not affect a person's life in even a minuscule way.

I have several questions to ask. Why do the greater majority of people tolerate that behavior from a single individual regardless of their skill-level at the game? Why in the majority of communities not have at least one mature individual who rallies others to get the perpetrator(s) of hatred for whatever reason to change their attitude?

What usually happens is either subtle or outright toxicity back-in-forth without any real mediation. This isn't the case at the highest level because it appears that those people understand a bit of business and psychology.
    The people with the most time to put into the game are young kids, teenagers and early 20s. So you have cocky, dumb (as in lack of life experience/wisdom/mindfulness/thoughtfulness) and very determined/serious/selfish players... Older players who raid (or play games to a high level of dedication/competitiveness) are fewer and further between because they care a lot less about that and have a lot less time to play.

You see it in sports, the young cocky, obnoxious talented competitors full of energy who later in their careers mellow out and become more respectful, thoughtful, reflective etc. As a result of that in their later careers they rely less on the tools of youth and more on experience. Of course in gaming people aren't playing seriously into their 30s or 40s, it's rare.
    I7 6700K : 16GB DDR4 3000 : GTX1070 : Firestudio : Naga : G27

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    The people with the most time to put into the game are young kids, teenagers and early 20s. So you have cocky, dumb (as in lack of life experience/wisdom/mindfulness/thoughtfulness) and very determined/serious/selfish players... Older players who raid (or play games to a high level of dedication/competitiveness) are fewer and further between because they care a lot less about that and have a lot less time to play.

You see it in sports, the young cocky, obnoxious talented competitors full of energy who later in their careers mellow out and become more respectful, thoughtful, reflective etc. As a result of that in their later careers they rely less on the tools of youth and more on experience. Of course in gaming people aren't playing seriously into their 30s or 40s, it's rare.
    I blame a lack of parenting and leadership.

I blame again, a lack of parenting and leadership to teach them that there's no point in being full of themselves.

I don't think it's just younger players being cocky/arrogant but also a level of insecurity. When I got into one of the better guilds on my server in TBC and took that leap from doing the 'easier' raids like Kara/ZA/TK/SSC/Gruul/Mag into MH/BT/Sunwell, I was ~15 years old and while there were 1 or 2 that were close to my age, many of the raiders were older and more experienced. I remember feeling a constant need to prove to myself and to the others that I belonged there just as much and I feel a bright contrast to that nowadays as I'm part of an officer team for a raiding guild but I'm not too bothered with the "proving myself" side of it because I know what I can do, and I know that others are aware of it as well.

We all know that the higher up you go in what's called 'hardcore' gaming(raiding/pvp) the worse attitudes people get because they have it in their minds that whatever they're doing is important. Coupled with that they act worse because they think they're anonymous or that their actions do not affect a person's life in even a minuscule way.

I have several questions to ask. Why do the greater majority of people tolerate that behavior from a single individual regardless of their skill-level at the game? Why in the majority of communities not have at least one mature individual who rallies others to get the perpetrator(s) of hatred for whatever reason to change their attitude?

What usually happens is either subtle or outright toxicity back-in-forth without any real mediation. This isn't the case at the highest level because it appears that those people understand a bit of business and psychology.

"Why do the greater majority of people tolerate that behavior from a single individual " Most likely because they agree with whatever is being said? If you're in a group with 10 people and 1 person is absolute shit and ruining it for everyone else, do you really think the other 9 people are sitting there saying "Oh well i'm sure he's doing his best" no they're annoyed, they're annoyed someone would sign up without knowing what to do when in BFA WoW you literally have access to everything you need to know what you're walking into without needing your hand held.

Eventually that 1 person does speak up and is the "Foul player" he's saying what everyone else is thinking, or atleast the majority. If you ask me we need more foul players, so many people are getting away with just ruining the game for everyone else "Durr ItS JuST LfR CaLM DOwn" no, it's my time you're wasting. I didn't play for 8 months, I just came back and yet when I did the fights for the first time in the new raid, I made 0 mistakes because I took the time to read up on them...it took me 15minutes. Yet... half the raid clearly had no idea what the mechanics were

Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    "Why do the greater majority of people tolerate that behavior from a single individual " Most likely because they agree with whatever is being said? If you're in a group with 10 people and 1 person is absolute shit and ruining it for everyone else, do you really think the other 9 people are sitting there saying "Oh well i'm sure he's doing his best" no they're annoyed, they're annoyed someone would sign up without knowing what to do when in BFA WoW you literally have access to everything you need to know what you're walking into without needing your hand held.

Eventually that 1 person does speak up and is the "Foul player" he's saying what everyone else is thinking, or atleast the majority. If you ask me we need more foul players, so many people are getting away with just ruining the game for everyone else "Durr ItS JuST LfR CaLM DOwn" no, it's my time you're wasting. I didn't play for 8 months, I just came back and yet when I did the fights for the first time in the new raid, I made 0 mistakes because I took the time to read up on them...it took me 15minutes. Yet... half the raid clearly had no idea what the mechanics were
    That's not how it works son.

The individual(s) being foul in a group environment, be it in WoW, or at work, whatever, is hurting the group by "speaking up". The group cannot progress unless people work together. That's basic knowledge for anyone having some experience in management. If someone makes a mistake, you help them correct it, in a nice way. You don't sit there and go batshit crazy because they caused a wipe. That ability that's super dangerous - Just tell them how to avoid it. You'd be surprised how many people actually want to get better, and listen to advice.

Imagine you getting a new job. Your colleagues have been doing this job for 10 years. Would they go mental at you for making a mistake? Probably not. What if they did? Would you do your job any better? Probably not.

If someone came in to my office and started screaming "PETER IS SUCH A NOOB, HE'S MAKING ALL THESE MISTAKES AND IT'S WASTING MY TIME" i'd show that person where the door is. You can't have people like that in group environments where people need to work together.

Common misconception. The higher up you go there tends to be less toxicity if you aren’t in content you have no business being in. If everyone in the group is at the skill level needed to run mythic or high keys, there are less dumbass mistakes, thus less toxic players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paschlina View Post
    That's not how it works son.

The individual(s) being foul in a group environment, be it in WoW, or at work, whatever, is hurting the group by "speaking up". The group cannot progress unless people work together. That's basic knowledge for anyone having some experience in management. If someone makes a mistake, you help them correct it, in a nice way. You don't sit there and go batshit crazy because they caused a wipe. That ability that's super dangerous - Just tell them how to avoid it. You'd be surprised how many people actually want to get better, and listen to advice.

Imagine you getting a new job. Your colleagues have been doing this job for 10 years. Would they go mental at you for making a mistake? Probably not. What if they did? Would you do your job any better? Probably not.

If someone came in to my office and started screaming "PETER IS SUCH A NOOB, HE'S MAKING ALL THESE MISTAKES AND IT'S WASTING MY TIME" i'd show that person where the door is. You can't have people like that in group environments where people need to work together.
    Your patronizing comment aside, if everyone were going to work together, the 1-5 people who refused to even look at the adventure journal would have taken the couple of minutes to see the mechanics before wasting the other 15 people’s time. What you expect is for people who took the time to not hold back others to hold the hands of the lazy players. To work with the lazy players, but not expect the lazy players to pull their own weight.

Depends on the people you play with. But I suppose the more competitive things become, the more tempers flare.

Meanwhile, the most fun I've ever had was with a guild full of stoners and drunks. We wiped tons, even on normal, but the discord was hilarious and I had so much fun. People were really laid back, and hardly ever did anyone get annoyed because someone messed up. I prefer to play that way.

All guilds develop a "culture". I would suggest people who want to try to combine the two start a new guild and develop their own culture where they nurture both cooperation and chillaxicity as well as progressing at a good rate.