Thread: 2020 Recession

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
17
... LastLast
  1. #281
    Consumer based economies without consumers...something wrong there.
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration


  2. #282
    Stood in the Fire ErrandRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Azeroth
    Posts
    438
    We need to design and implement an economic system that does not collapse when something like a pandemic hits. Maybe instead of using our best and brightest to explore other planets we should use them to set up such a system.

  3. #283
    Pandaren Monk Ettan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kekistan
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    We need to design and implement an economic system that does not collapse when something like a pandemic hits.
    Why should we do that?

  4. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    We need to design and implement an economic system that does not collapse when something like a pandemic hits. Maybe instead of using our best and brightest to explore other planets we should use them to set up such a system.
    In another 20 years we should have an sci-fi style robots. The robots could man the factories, restaurants, delivery trucks, police force etc. All flesh creatures can sit at home all day in isolation if need be and the robots would keep the economy going. Had coronavirus hit in 2050, you would probably see a rush to convert to a robot economy. This pandemic hit just before the robotic revolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  5. #285
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    In another 20 years we should have an sci-fi style robots. The robots could man the factories, restaurants, delivery trucks, police force etc. All flesh creatures can sit at home all day in isolation if need be and the robots would keep the economy going. Had coronavirus hit in 2050, you would probably see a rush to convert to a robot economy. This pandemic hit just before the robotic revolution.
    While there will be more and better robots in 20 years they won't be taking jobs from people in the aggregate, they will be supplemental to human workers. The software for the robots would need to be capable of general problem solving in order to make human workers obsolete, which there has been zero progress on that kind of software.
    -------
    Logical Fallacies: Ad hominem, Generalizing history to pre-determine the future.

  6. #286
    My company is working to contribute to the recession as hard as it can.

    Cutting all pay by 10-15% for its ~6000 US employees, it's effectively completely eliminated the US stimulus with room to spare, to say nothing of the global effects of cutting pay or spending outside of the US for its other ~6000 employees and offices.

    This company could afford to continue paying everyone at the same rate indefinitely, it just chooses not to because our figures will look better when the May financial release comes around for shareholders. So that's 15% less cash being put into the economy.

    This is how recessions turn into depressions.

  7. #287
    Old God Grimbold21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Azores, Portugal
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    My company is working to contribute to the recession as hard as it can.

    Cutting all pay by 10-15% for its ~6000 US employees, it's effectively completely eliminated the US stimulus with room to spare, to say nothing of the global effects of cutting pay or spending outside of the US for its other ~6000 employees and offices.

    This company could afford to continue paying everyone at the same rate indefinitely, it just chooses not to because our figures will look better when the May financial release comes around for shareholders. So that's 15% less cash being put into the economy.

    This is how recessions turn into depressions.
    Investors interests supersede workers conditions, I suppose.

  8. #288
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    My company is working to contribute to the recession as hard as it can.

    Cutting all pay by 10-15% for its ~6000 US employees, it's effectively completely eliminated the US stimulus with room to spare, to say nothing of the global effects of cutting pay or spending outside of the US for its other ~6000 employees and offices.

    This company could afford to continue paying everyone at the same rate indefinitely, it just chooses not to because our figures will look better when the May financial release comes around for shareholders. So that's 15% less cash being put into the economy.

    This is how recessions turn into depressions.
    Corporate America never cared and now they have access to unlimited money at no interest from the government they will care even less.

  9. #289
    If the moment comes when my company cuts our pay, that will be the moment when we all come dowm with symptoms
    Unemployment will look very inviting.
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration


  10. #290
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    My company is working to contribute to the recession as hard as it can.

    Cutting all pay by 10-15% for its ~6000 US employees, it's effectively completely eliminated the US stimulus with room to spare, to say nothing of the global effects of cutting pay or spending outside of the US for its other ~6000 employees and offices.

    This company could afford to continue paying everyone at the same rate indefinitely, it just chooses not to because our figures will look better when the May financial release comes around for shareholders. So that's 15% less cash being put into the economy.

    This is how recessions turn into depressions.

    Was exactly why 2008-2009 was so bad. it was a race to lay people off, even though they realize in the end all the layoffs would be worse for their stocks and business than having to spend the money to pay people.

    But they were more concerned about their short term pay and bonuses.
    Whether SHE IS INDICTED OR EVEN GUILTY IT DOESNT MATTER. HER GUILT IS A MOOT POINT!!! - Fox News 2016
    You don’t have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this Constitutional Republic,” - Sen (r) Graham 1999

  11. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    We need to design and implement an economic system that does not collapse when something like a pandemic hits. Maybe instead of using our best and brightest to explore other planets we should use them to set up such a system.
    why ? just because people for past 40 years were picking up "easy " jobs why do we owe them anything.

    also - things like insurance exists . people need to learn that yes you do have to insure yourself and their businesses.

  12. #292
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    why ? just because people for past 40 years were picking up "easy " jobs why do we owe them anything.

    also - things like insurance exists . people need to learn that yes you do have to insure yourself and their businesses.
    What happens if all insurance companies go bankrupted?
    The government bailout?

    Because of Euro, Italy cannot print money.
    Not all governments can bailout.

  13. #293
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    What happens if all insurance companies go bankrupted?
    The government bailout?

    Because of Euro, Italy cannot print money.
    Not all governments can bailout.
    /facepalm

    You don't need to print money as a country to generate them there are these things called bonds.

  14. #294
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    /facepalm

    You don't need to print money as a country to generate them there are these things called bonds.
    Italy, and US soon will hit 200% debt/GPD.
    The government pays more interest than the tax it collects.
    Sure, US has federal reserve to buy US bonds at 0%. Who buys Italy's bond?

  15. #295
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Italy, and US soon will hit 200% debt/GPD.
    The government pays more interest than the tax it collects.
    Sure, US has federal reserve to buy US bonds at 0%. Who buys Italy's bond?
    Wow the misinformation here the majority of US debt is held by regular Americans not the Federal reserve. In the case of Italy most of the debt is held by financial intermediaries that's not even going into the ECB which is doing QE. For the love of god man learn about basic economics before spewing nonsense.

  16. #296
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Italy, and US soon will hit 200% debt/GPD.
    The government pays more interest than the tax it collects.
    Sure, US has federal reserve to buy US bonds at 0%. Who buys Italy's bond?
    Do you just pull numbers out of your poo hole?


    I mean its very easily google'ed

    https://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/...ir_expense.htm
    2019 $574,587,783,463.63

    Tax Revenue was 3.4 TRILLION DOLLARS.


    your maff is a little off bro.
    Whether SHE IS INDICTED OR EVEN GUILTY IT DOESNT MATTER. HER GUILT IS A MOOT POINT!!! - Fox News 2016
    You don’t have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this Constitutional Republic,” - Sen (r) Graham 1999

  17. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Sorry, but it is you who is buying into BS.

    Here is reality:
    - If the flu infects 40 million people, we expect to see around 450k people hospitalized and about 30k people to die (yes, there are variations to this, but this is average)
    - If COVID-19 infects 40 million people, we expect to see between 4 and 8 million people hospitalized and about 800k people to die

    That is why we are taking COVID-19 much more seriously. Furthermore, the infection rate of COVID-19 is actually notably higher (between 2 times and 3 times higher), which means this explodes much, much faster than the flu...which is why we talk about flattening the curve. If we let most of the population just go about their normal businesses, we reach 40 million COVID-19 infections in a few weeks rather than typical flu infections over 6 months (total flu season is 8 months long).

    And if we don't flatten the curve, that means even more people will die because people who could be saved won't get sufficient care to be saved.

    To answer your question regarding deaths, in Italy, we see about 30 deaths a day from flu. They have been seeing more than that with COVID-19 since March 5th, and the latest report shows that they had over 600 COVID-19 deaths in a day.
    You are looking at 1-5 million deaths in the USA alone based on how little they are doing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    We need to design and implement an economic system that does not collapse when something like a pandemic hits. Maybe instead of using our best and brightest to explore other planets we should use them to set up such a system.
    It is called renewable energy and self sufficiency, grow a garden always and get your house self sustained with solar and other renewable sources of energy/heat.

    The governments could all help do this, and while it would drastically effect the electricity producing market, that market is going to die in the long run anyways.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - let's get real everyone, classic needs #somechanges get over it.

  18. #298
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    You are looking at 1-5 million deaths in the USA alone based on how little they are doing.
    Those numbers are pulled out of thin air though. There's no way to predict how many people will die because it's impossible to know what new preventions and solutions people will come up with tomorrow and the day after and so on.
    -------
    Logical Fallacies: Ad hominem, Generalizing history to pre-determine the future.

  19. #299
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Those numbers are pulled out of thin air though. There's no way to predict how many people will die because it's impossible to know what new preventions and solutions people will come up with tomorrow and the day after and so on.
    no but their "predictions" based on available data is plausible at the point in which they make the statement.

    By your logic there is no way to predict anything, because anything can happen.
    Whether SHE IS INDICTED OR EVEN GUILTY IT DOESNT MATTER. HER GUILT IS A MOOT POINT!!! - Fox News 2016
    You don’t have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this Constitutional Republic,” - Sen (r) Graham 1999

  20. #300
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Those numbers are pulled out of thin air though. There's no way to predict how many people will die because it's impossible to know what new preventions and solutions people will come up with tomorrow and the day after and so on.
    My hope is that it ends up being much less than a million across all of North America, only time will tell.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - let's get real everyone, classic needs #somechanges get over it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •