Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What did you do with your tax refund this year?

I got $944 on top of my usual checking account balance, so:

$63.80; One absolute necessity, a new pair of shoes. Bought a new pair of my usual New Balance 410s. Had my current ones for a year and the insides are starting to wear out, plus they just don't give the same support, which is important considering I'm on my feet all day at work. I've been wearing the same exact kind for three years now, and for the cost they're built like fucking tanks.

-$108.23; Steam- DOOM Eternal and Borderlands 3 Digital Deluxe. Borderlands was on sale and I just really, REALLY want to play Eternal- I love the first DOOM reboot and I'm hyped for the sequel.

-$110.83; Amazon- Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase 3 parts 1 and 2 to round out my collection- I bought the first two sets a few years ago. I know it's all on digital but I don't have Disney+ at the moment and I just enjoy having the sets.

-Other shit I can't remember the cost of- groceries and one pack of toilet paper I managed to find, way too much McDonalds for my own good, lots of snacks, and a few takeout meals for the family.

I've still got over $600 in my account and tomorrow is payday, so I'll have enough to pay my $300 rent for this check and the phone/TV/internet if it's posted and have plenty of breathing room.

Surely someone here did something better and way more useful/responsible with their income tax money than I did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some bills and some on my student loans. $150 left to mess around with but I'll probably just throw it in my savings

10+ Year Old Account
    Have not submitted my tax return yet - Still waiting for my RRSP contribution slip.

Invest it in toilet paper...

10+ Year Old Account
    I put it into savings.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

7+ Year Old Account
    Tax refund.... I have a vague memory of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put it away for the house me and my Wife will move into later this year after I retire. Far away from into some peace
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    This year was my turn to claim the kids on the taxes so I came in a little over $6000 when all was said and done. Outside of a few minor things I've managed to save it all so far, which quite frankly is probably a good idea given the current state of things in the nation/world.

What I've bought: Original FF7 on Steam ~12 dollars (don't laugh, I love that game lol)
    A nice meal out with the kids at the local wings place ~60 dollars including tip

Quote Originally Posted by Grokk View Post
    This year was my turn to claim the kids on the taxes so I came in a little over $6000 when all was said and done. Outside of a few minor things I've managed to save it all so far, which quite frankly is probably a good idea given the current state of things in the nation/world.

What I've bought: Original FF7 on Steam ~12 dollars (don't laugh, I love that game lol)
    A nice meal out with the kids at the local wings place ~60 dollars including tip

I know I should adjust my W-4, but I honestly don't care. I make low 6 figures and can't be bothered to fill out a form due to my laziness.

This all went to a savings for a truck restoration I'm doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Won't have it for weeks yet, but basic necessaries looks probable.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I owed $1600 in state taxes so...

Taxes we don't pay no stinking taxes!!!!

i don't get any refund from the feds, ever. business write offs just don't allow for me to get any because i am so tight on everything i pay to begin with.

state taxes i could get about 80-100 dollars. might just try to 400% it by investing...in something rock solid like....hand sanitizer
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

15+ Year Old Account
    I got some €1200 back. Still thinking about what I'll do with it. But it's probably going to my 2021 vacation since my parents are scared to travel this year.

Impulse buying because of a lump sum of cash heading your way is a sign of financial ineptitude.

It's going into my checking account. Will probably invest it. Or do nothing. Haven't decided.

2 copies of shadowlands and then put the rest on our car payment

spring property taxes and the rest to mortgage principal. deliberately not adjusting w2, because I'd rather treat it as a built-in escrow then having to set up my own escrow to pay all the extra taxes in a spring. given how IRS loves to fuck around with things every year, I don't think its even possible to adjust your contributions to not have to either do refund, or pay extra, so I'd rather do a refund to be honest. doesn't feel as stressful.

Nothing, I haven't had a return in like a decade as I pay the bare minimum in and anything I do get they take to pay my student loan which I refuse to pay because of circumstances of when I went to college and they screwed us all over.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    2 copies of shadowlands and then put the rest on our car payment
    Gross, that is giving Blizzard money to make garbage, should just give it to your local garbage man lol.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    dumped into my investments, got it in right before the market started having a seizure.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Nothing, I haven't had a return in like a decade as I pay the bare minimum in and anything I do get they take to pay my student loan which I refuse to pay because of circumstances of when I went to college and they screwed us all over.

- - - Updated - - -

Gross, that is giving Blizzard money to make garbage, should just give it to your local garbage man lol.
    SL is looking good to me, people like different things

Put it into savings