Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Legendary! Nnyco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Haomarush
    Posts
    6,510
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    When you have to give out 100% bonus exp gains just to get people to login to your shitty game, I can see why people would think that.
    Imagine still hanging around on a forum for a "shitty game".
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

  2. #42
    The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    21,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    I mean, you are also spinning it. People already had that alternative, everyone's free to levelup whatever characters they want without the buff.

    Blizzard doing a capitalist move to profit from people being quarantined and improve revenue is not that surprising, and to be fair not that wrong either (in this particular way at least).

    The buff definitely is supposed to entice people to play, not just out of the goodness of their corporate hearts and to enjoy seeing people leveling up. On a corporate level Blizzard doesn't give a damn whether you're busy with leveling, endgame content, erp-ing in Goldshire Inn or just afking in town, as long as you're paying that subscription (and maybe ocasionally dropping some extra money on store items).

    The wrong part is alleging they are doing it because WoW is doing bad, and not simply to increase profit (ie: They'd still have promotions like this even if they had 20M subscribers, because what's a lot of money when you can have all the money). Also because recently they need all the good PR they can get.

    - - - Updated - - -





    Take from that what you will.

    I would think it is almost exclusively related to the progression of Covid-19 and more people getting quarantined every day, rather than a 100% exp boost in WoW. But that's just as post hoc, to be fair.
    Someone don't know how to use Google trends.
    1. Wow has many fan sites that people just have book marked meaning no real need to google it all the time. COD don't.
    2. God is searched in only a few Arcos. Cod, call of duty, cod mindedness warfare, etc. But wow has TONS. Pair that with people who are looking for wow news don't even search wow they search mmochamoion, wowhead, icyveins. Etc.


    Again. Another person who grabs 2 random words in Google trends and goes "this one way bigger!"

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Why come to the internet just to lie?
    Yeah, sorry. Didn't care much for the OP.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    When you have to give out 100% bonus exp gains just to get people to login to your shitty game, I can see why people would think that.
    It's pretty sad that you think that's the reason.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Nice trying to spin the narrative to your will. The buff isn't to entice people to play the game or anything. The buff is there as an added bonus because they know people will be stuck at home and probably playing. With the buff this gives people an added alternative (and encouragement) on things to do other than level cap stuff. But hey, it's just easier to bash things than to think logically.
    The buff isn't there to entice people to play! It's there to ENCOURAGE people to play (other parts of the game when they get bored of their normal routine)!

    You do see the contradiction there, right? There's no question about it that the buff is there to get people to log on more and stay logged on for longer. That's how these promotions work. Nothing really wrong with that, in fact it's pretty much expected. I know you only responded to that other poster because he was trying to be edgy by talking shit, but if you're talking about "thinking logically" you should know by now that this (like all other promotions that Blizzard does) is a business decision.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post


    It has nothing to do witn people staying home. Blizzard was being ddosed.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Interesting to hear that people play only because they feel attached and invested too much in the game.

    I played for 13 years, and if they decided to shut down servers tonight, I wouldn't even bat an eye, and I actually enjoy the game.

    I mean, my point is, don't care how much time I've put into WoW, I don't value it as some kind of an investment and I'm surprised that some people actually do to the point that it's the only reason they still play.
    It's exclusively the reason I play there are a lot better MMO's out there or at least some I enjoyed more, but the fact that WOW had such a large player base and I had all the characters sitting there drew me back to it every time and was actually the only reason I played after CATA for the most part. I hate how the game has gone since WOLTK ended. I loved TSW, but could not get more of my friends to play it, likewise SWTOR is at the current state better to me than WOW and I enjoy it much more. I have all characters max in SWTOR and it was all done during the 250% bonus exp event they did like 3 years ago, I feel no real connection to them because they were instantly leveled. Most of my WOW characters were leveled before CATA so they took a long time for me to get to max level and I have many many hours stuck into them all, so its hard to just walk away from that investment.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Imagine still hanging around on a forum for a "shitty game".
    I don't like that it's shitty, I have hopes it will get better and be good again so I can get back to my characters that I have literally years of /played invested in.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    It's pretty sad that you think that's the reason.
    I get a lot of people are sitting at home for no reason right now, but that is the only reason I'd ever log back into retail is some gimmick like this that would actually make leveling bearable from 100-120.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Nice trying to spin the narrative to your will.
    Person he quoted already tried to spin the narrative to his will before him. But you of course didnt notice that.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    The funniest thing about it is that there are some people claiming the game is dead and no one is playing it anymore.

    I'm actually quite surprised no one suggested that it's blizzard making up fake queues to pretend the game is popular
    "oh it's everyone logging into app for something outer than Warcraft....." LOL
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

  10. #50
    this can happen when there is a problem with the authentication servers... has happened countless of times here in europe... not because there are too many people trying to login...

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by sociald1077 View Post
    Account wide essences must be a big draw
    only for the sheep!

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Someone don't know how to use Google trends.
    1. Wow has many fan sites that people just have book marked meaning no real need to google it all the time. COD don't.
    2. God is searched in only a few Arcos. Cod, call of duty, cod mindedness warfare, etc. But wow has TONS. Pair that with people who are looking for wow news don't even search wow they search mmochamoion, wowhead, icyveins. Etc.


    Again. Another person who grabs 2 random words in Google trends and goes "this one way bigger!"
    Except that's not what I said at all. In fact I absolutely made no conclusion based on the data, I just presented it to people who were claiming "Login queues are happening after the 100% exp boost, therefore the exp boost caused the surge in players that cause b.net login queues" which is a logical fallacy.

    If anything it was meant to point that CoD had a recent significant increase while WoW did not, not to claim "CoD is bigger".


    I would say though, your analysis on how CoD's higher numbers are explained seems more like trying to find reasons to explain it being higher.

    1) CoD does have fan sites. Probably not as many as WoW, but there's still wikis and fan forums just like there are for WoW. If anything WoW is a lot more complex and has a lot more info players might google, rather than CoD which is pretty straightforward in comparison.

    2) This should be mostly offset since I specifically used terms that google recognizes as broad terms (see "Online game" under WoW, and "Video game series" under CoD) and not specific search terms. I won't pretend to know how much exactly, but just go into trends and play with it, you will see many of those possible terms are in insignifcant numbers compared to the terms I used (for instance add "Wowhead", which is recognized as a website and not just a search term, into that example I gave and you'll see it fluctuates between just 1 and 2%. And I'm not entirely sure it isn't already included in the "World of Warcraft - online game" term).


    Everyone can and should take this and any other data with a grain of salt. But the fact is while imperfect and inconclusive, it's still some the best actual data we have access to. And you can go look back at when Blizzard reported subscription numbers, and you'll see that the subscription number curve behaves quite similarly to the interest over time curve reported by the "World of Warcraft - Online game" google trends term. Obviously it would be wrong to use that in any way as conclusive evidence of whatever point one wants to make, but I do think this data shouldn't be dismissed so easily. It's still better than empty claims based on "feel".

    Overall, though, my point is just that considering a new free-to-play CoD game has just recently released, it is unreasonable to defend the 100% WoW exp boost was the main factor on the alleged increase of b.net user activity.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2020-03-24 at 01:25 AM.

  13. #53
    The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    21,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Except that's not what I said at all. In fact I absolutely made no conclusion based on the data, I just presented it to people who were claiming "Login queues are happening after the 100% exp boost, therefore the exp boost caused the surge in players that cause b.net login queues" which is a logical fallacy.

    If anything it was meant to point that CoD had a recent significant increase while WoW did not, not to claim "CoD is bigger".


    I would say though, your analysis on how CoD's higher numbers are explained seems more like trying to find reasons to explain it being higher.

    1) CoD does have fan sites. Probably not as many as WoW, but there's still wikis and fan forums just like there are for WoW. If anything WoW is a lot more complex and has a lot more info players might google, rather than CoD which is pretty straightforward in comparison.

    2) This should be mostly offset since I specifically used terms that google recognizes as broad terms (see "Online game" under WoW, and "Video game series" under CoD) and not specific search terms. I won't pretend to know how much exactly, but just go into trends and play with it, you will see many of those possible terms are in insignifcant numbers compared to the terms I used (for instance add "Wowhead", which is recognized as a website and not just a search term, into that example I gave and you'll see it fluctuates between just 1 and 2%. And I'm not entirely sure it isn't already included in the "World of Warcraft - online game" term).


    Everyone can and should take this and any other data with a grain of salt. But the fact is while imperfect and inconclusive, it's still some the best actual data we have access to. And you can go look back at when Blizzard reported subscription numbers, and you'll see that the subscription number curve behaves quite similarly to the interest over time curve reported by the "World of Warcraft - Online game" google trends term. Obviously it would be wrong to use that in any way as conclusive evidence of whatever point one wants to make, but I do think this data shouldn't be dismissed so easily. It's still better than empty claims based on "feel".

    Overall, though, my point is just that considering a new free-to-play CoD game has just recently released, it is unreasonable to defend the 100% WoW exp boost was the main factor on the alleged increase of b.net user activity.
    Queues have only just showed up very recently, not since the cod update, they have oly been happening since the 100% exp bonus, so no its not a logical fallacy, nor is that ever one, false equivalence is if there is a proven matter, there is no proven matter, you claiming it has to do with cod is a false equivalence, cause you are saying for a fact they are wrong, it is cod, when really we don't know, but based on the evidence we have, the queues only started with the recent 100% exp. especially since many of cods players are on mobile now, not blizz launcher.

    it is funny you call out them making a logical fallacy, when it is actually you doing such.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Queues have only just showed up very recently, not since the cod update, they have oly been happening since the 100% exp bonus, so no its not a logical fallacy, nor is that ever one, false equivalence is if there is a proven matter, there is no proven matter, you claiming it has to do with cod is a false equivalence, cause you are saying for a fact they are wrong, it is cod, when really we don't know, but based on the evidence we have, the queues only started with the recent 100% exp. especially since many of cods players are on mobile now, not blizz launcher.

    it is funny you call out them making a logical fallacy, when it is actually you doing such.
    "I went to the bathroom, and when I came back there was a queue". Logical fallacy: Going to the bathroom caused the queue.
    Same here. Just because a queue appeared after the 100% exp bonus, doesn't necessarily mean it caused it.

    Post hoc is very much a logical fallacy.


    You're wrong because I'm not claiming it has to do with CoD. I'm claiming that if it has to do with a specific game, it is more likely that it is CoD Warzone, a new free-to-play CoD game, rather than a 100% exp buff in WoW.

    In fact I have stated before that what I actually believe to be more likely is that it has not to do with any specific game, but with a result of the progression of Covid-19 and more people being quarantined / not working as time progresses, and therefore b.net activity increasing as a whole across the various games.

    And even that is assuming that the queue was caused by an increase in player activity, and not just server issues or ddos attacks or similar.

  15. #55
    Herald of the Titans ercarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Icecrown
    Posts
    2,927
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    It's called time zones.
    One of the most difficult concepts for people to grasp in the 21st century.

  16. #56
    The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    21,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    "I went to the bathroom, and when I came back there was a queue". Logical fallacy: Going to the bathroom caused the queue.
    .
    Except neither of those things have anything to do with each other.
    you seem to be using the fallacy logical fallacy, which is a logical fallacy that is when you try to use "Your using a logical falacy" as a way to discredit peoples arguments and twist reality.

    saying "i went to bathroom caused queue" is false, cause there is no possible way those are connected.
    but the massive exp bonus during a quarantine caused the queue is totally believable and likely.

    Trying to use logical fallacies to discredit peoples arguments is so cringe dude, learn some actual debate instead of just quoting random fallacies.

    the whole point of fallacies is to learn something, and to avoid them, not that anyone who uses them must be wrong.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2020-03-24 at 12:57 PM.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    saying "i went to bathroom caused queue" is false, cause there is no possible way those are connected.
    It's called hyperbole.

    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    you seem to be using the fallacy logical fallacy, which is a logical fallacy that is when you try to use "Your using a logical falacy" as a way to discredit peoples arguments and twist reality.

    the whole point of fallacies is to learn something, and to avoid them, not that anyone who uses them must be wrong.
    Where have I stated they are wrong? They might be right, the thing is there is no real way to prove or disprove it.
    What I did say is that their theory is not the most likely, and that I think it's not reasonable to believe it.

    I'm not twisting any reality, I'm discrediting that specific argument because the reasoning behind it is weak and, at best, highly prone to confirmation bias.
    Pointing the fallacy was merely a way of pointing the flaw in the reasoning.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2020-03-24 at 03:04 PM.

  18. #58
    Or they had maintenance on their login servers and temporarily reduced the capacity for simultaneous logins because who cares for a small queue in the middle of the night?

    But I'm sure it's worth discussing the "issue" that most likely didn't even last a full hour.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •